PDA

View Full Version : Slow roasted beef in crockpot?

lindzano
04-14-2005, 08:02 AM
Do you think this recipe could be done in a crockpot? I dont know if the amount of liquid should be adjusted.

Slow-Roasted Beef with Creamy Mashed Potatoes
From Cooking Light

This is one of the most classic and rewarding uses of stock. Beef takes on a new dimension of taste and lusciousness when braised in a beef stock. The braising liquid is then made into a sauce, further enhancing the rich beef flavor.

Beef:
6 cups Beef Stock
2 cups water
1 pound boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut against the grain into 4 slices
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Potatoes:
1 1/2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400.
To prepare beef, combine Beef Stock and water in a saucepan; bring to a simmer. Place beef in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish; pour stock mixture over beef. Bake at 400 for 2 hours or until beef is tender.

Remove beef from the cooking liquid; cover and keep warm. Strain cooking liquid through a sieve over a bowl. Place a zip-top bag inside a 2-cup glass measure. Pour liquid into bag; let stand 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 corner of bag. Drain liquid into a saucepan, stopping before the fat layer reaches the opening; discard fat. Bring liquid to a boil; reduce to simmer. Cook 20 minutes or until reduced to 1 cup. Remove from heat; stir in 1 teaspoon thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.

To prepare potatoes, place potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cook 12 minutes or until very tender. Drain. Return potatoes to pan. Add milk, butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; mash with a potato masher to desired consistency. Cook for 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve with beef. Serve sauce over beef; garnish with remaining 1 teaspoon thyme.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 3 ounces beef, 3/4 cup potatoes, 1/4 cup sauce, and 1/4 teaspoon thyme)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 341(24% from fat); FAT 8.9g(sat 3.8g,mono 3.6g,poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 25.2g; CHOLESTEROL 73mg; CALCIUM 69mg; SODIUM 538mg; FIBER 2.8g; IRON 3.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 39.6g

Cooking Light, APRIL 2005

Kathy B
04-14-2005, 09:00 AM
The recipe doesn't call for the beef to be covered in the oven, which means some of the liquid will evaporate during the baking time and the broth mixture will be condensed somewhat. That won't happen in crockpot, and you will probably end up with even more liquid from the meat.

I think you would definitely need to reduce the liquid, but I also think the end result will be different since the crockpot will keep the meat completely moist and not allow for evaporation/condensing. It may still be very good, but I think it just won't be the same kind of dish.

That is JMHO without trying it myself. :)

Lillith
04-14-2005, 10:15 AM
The crockpot doesn't roast - it stews so the end result may taste the same, but will be very different in texture.

TLee4
04-14-2005, 10:54 AM
I know that the point of this recipe was to use the homemade beef stock. But I'm not going to make that!
How would the recipe be if I just used beef broth?

thanks,
Terri

Laurielee
04-14-2005, 11:24 AM
there is way too much liquid for a crockpot. my fav is the merlot post roast that was pusblished in Sunset years ago and posted many times here. It only calls for one cup of wine. So I would use only one cup of beef broth, no water as your only liquid.

Laurie