PDA

View Full Version : Dishes/Menus to deliver to new mom/dad

cjr
04-22-2005, 05:50 PM
I'm looking for some menus to make that can either freeze or make ahead to deliver to a couple that is a new mom/dad. Any ideas?

Paris M
04-22-2005, 05:59 PM
Two years ago I made my SIL a shepherd's pie in a 9x13 for the freezer before her first babe arrived. She still raves about it.

beccac
04-22-2005, 06:20 PM
I had just recently asked this last month and I got a few great ideas. My couple was v. picky and didn't like mushrooms, green stuff, etc.; so these are what was suggested:

Chicken Tetrazzini Cooking Light
Chicken Corn Chowder Cooking light

If you don't have picky parents, I would also include Mushroom Stew from Bon Appetit and a Minestrone from this past January or February's Cooking Light.

Have fun!

MISSINDI
04-22-2005, 07:28 PM
Lasagna Rolls would be great. Something different from regular lasagna and really presents nicely. I made a batch two weeks ago (recipe on my blog). Hope this helps!

BeckyM
04-23-2005, 02:04 PM
If you have old issues of CL (or the annual recipes cookbooks), check out an article called "The Big Chill" from March 2003 (in the 2004 cookbook). They gave five different recipes that were designed to make a double-batch, where you would eat one now and freeze one later. You could eat one yourself and give one to the new parents, or give them both away. Here are the titles of the recipes. (I think one was already mentioned in someone else's post.)

Sun-Dried Tomato Meat Loaf with Red Currant-Wine Sauce
Savory Breakfast Casserole
Four-Cheese Stuffed Shells with Smoky Marinara
Butternut Squash Lasagne
Chicken Tetrazzini

I personally have made the Stuffed Shells and the Chicken Tetrazzini, and I would highly recommend both of them!

That is VERY nice of you to bring food to new parents! As someone who has been a new parent and is going to have child #2 in July, I know it will be MUCH appreciated!

Becky :)

gobluem82
04-24-2005, 09:05 AM
There are a bunch of other threads on the BB covering the topic that you might want to check into. My only suggestion is that if the new mom is breast-feeding, try to avoid dishes with onion or garlic. This can cause gassy babies and (even more) sleep-deprived parents. How nice of you to help!

brykate
04-24-2005, 05:06 PM
BAKED OATMEAL!

It's perfect to freeze, reheat, eat straight from the fridge or heat individual servings. It can be made with just raisins (or not) in it or with whatever dried fruit is around to cut up. Serve with whatever one likes with oatmeal; milk, soymilk, fruit, yogurt, brown sugar, maple syrup. Yum, I love it and so have many many here on the board. I think my copy of the recipe came from RebeccaT but I don't actually know who the original source may have been, if it wasn't her.
I've made and given it away to several new moms recently! Here it is in anycase :)

Baked Oatmeal__

2 1/4 cup Quick oat (or 2 3/4 cup Old Fashioned Oats)
2/3 c brown sugar
c raisins, or snipped mixed dried fruit
1 tsp. Cinnamon (or more)
tsp. Salt (optional)
4 egg whites, lightly beaten (or 1/2 cup egg sub or 3 whole eggs)
3 1/3 c nonfat milk
1 Tbl. vanilla
(optional 1 Tbl vegetable oil)
Mix ingredients altogether and pour into lightly sprayed 9" square pan._ Bake 55-60 minutes until center is set and firm to the touch. Cool slightly, and serve topped with milk, yogurt, fruit, maple syrup, or whatever sounds good to you. Toppings not included in nutrition info.

Yield 8 generous servings.
249 calories, 2.1 fat, 4.2 fiber (no oil)
264 calories, 3.8 fat, 4.2 fiber (w/oil)