PDA

View Full Version : ISO Louisiana Main Dish NOT Spicy

funniegrrl
05-19-2005, 08:57 AM
I am helping cook dinner for a crowd of 12 - 14 in a few weeks. We have decided to go with a Louisiana menu, but some in the crowd do not like food that has any heat to it. So, we'll be doing shrimp etouffee or creole for most folks, but need something else that the non-spicy eaters will eat. Preferably seafood, and ideally something that would work like creole or etoufee -- i.e., can be served over rice. Any ideas?

Also, any ideas for side dishes? We're probably going to go with just a nice green salad, but if you have any bright ideas in this regard they'd be welcome!

sneezles
05-19-2005, 09:22 AM
This is very similar to the recipe in Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen. The major difference is that he has you make your own stock from the heads and shells of the shrimp. Unlike most of his recipes this only calls for 1/2 tsp cayenne (most call for 2 tsp). I also like to make his basic rice recipe when cooking Cajun since it's done in the oven so I'm free to attend to the sauces.

Shrimp Diane

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Creole Fish
Seafood

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
***** NONE *****

1 c Butter,unsalted
2 lb Shrimp,medium,shelled
1/4 c Green onion,minced
3/4 ts Salt
1/2 ts Garlic,minced
1/2 ts Cayenne pepper
1/4 ts White pepper
1/4 ts Black pepper
1/4 ts Basil
1/4 ts Thyme
1/8 ts Oregano
1/2 lb Mushrooms,1/4" slices
1/4 c Fish stock
1/4 c Clam broth
3 tb Parsley,fresh,chopped

French bread

Pasta

Rice

1. Heat 1/2 cup butter in large skillet over high heat.

2. When butter is almost melted, add green onion, salt, garlic, ground peppers, basil, thyme and oregano; stir well.

3. Add shrimp and saute until they turn pink, about 1 minute, shaking the pan instead of stirring.

4. Add msuhrooms and stock; add remaining 1/2 cup butter in chunks,
continuing to shake skillet, cooking until butter sauce is creamy and smooth.

5. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately with French bread, or over pasta or rice.

NOTE: This recipe is a version of the Shrimp Diane served at Orleans Restaurant of Los Angeles.

sneezles
05-19-2005, 09:30 AM
Remember that thread on Cajun cookbooks? Well, I got my copy of John D. Folse's The Encyclopedia of Cajun & Creole Cuisine (gorgeous book, btw) and his recipe for shrimp creole doesn't add any heat until you serve it, using Louisiana Hot Sauce to taste. Can post if you're interested.

misskitty100
05-19-2005, 10:31 AM
What about Po' Boy's? Can't be served over rice but everyone could assemble their own...

Another suggestion would be red beans & rice - I don't think this is spicy.

funniegrrl
05-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Yes I'm the one who originally asked about the cajun/creole cookbooks! Just haven't had a chance to get one, and now we're doing this dinner, and it will be out of town and this month's budget won't handle a cookbook purchase. :P

I like the Shrimp Diane recipe, we could even leave out the cayenne. (Doesn't something called "Diane" usually have Dijon mustard, though? Hmmmm.) I did think about po'boys but I think the ingredients are deep-fried, and we don't want to fool with that. We're going to be in a beach rental kitchen, so we're trying to keep it simple.

Good ideas, all! Keep 'em coming.

MNGirlTX
05-19-2005, 12:38 PM
Po-boys come in many varieties...if you specifically want seafood, then, yes, deep fried. But roast beef is a very popular po-boy, too.

What about jambalaya? It's not necessarily spicy.

Lori

Hoodone
05-19-2005, 01:17 PM
Muffalatas (correct spelling would be nice, but I can't spell)would be good, too. Seems more summery than an etouffee. Almost anything you could make at a mild level of spice, then just put out the Tabasco or hot sauce of choice and let folks spice to their own preferred level.

All I can think of for a side dish right now is (phonetically spelled because, again, I am impaired) mach shoe (mac choux?) that corn dish.

funniegrrl
05-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Yes! Maquechoux! I AM planning to make that, just forgot to mention it. So, I guess with a green salad, rice, maquechoux, and two mains, and dessert (bread pudding) that oughta be eeeeenough.