PDA

View Full Version : Really yummy and EASY salad idea

beckms
05-22-2005, 09:04 AM
I finally decided to try this restaurant after having passed it every day on my way to school for the past 2 years...It's called Big Fresh Cafe, and it's one of those places that's totally nondescript on the outside, hidden in a crappy little plaza surrounded by McDonald's, Walmart, and the like.

But inside it's beautiful, with local artwork on the walls and lovely decor. The menu is simple, filled with organic meats and local produce. YUM!

Anyway, I got one of their salads, and it was so good that I had to share. It seems so easy, and yet I never would have thought to make it!

It was simply a mixed greens salad with sliced roasted beets and crumbled feta, tossed with a very delicious vinaigrette. I don't think there was anything unusual about the vinaigrette, but the salad as a whole was so tasty and beautiful, I can't wait to make one for myself at home. The beets really lent an earthy, almost meaty taste to the otherwise bold and tangy salad, and the color was stunning.

Enjoy!:)

kcmo727
05-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Sounds like a good salad but I have a question for you: I have never made beets before. I am not even sure if I have ever eaten them. Anyway, do they come roasted or can buy them that way?

Jen
05-22-2005, 04:13 PM
Michelle - beets are so easy to cook. It's best to buy them fresh (they are so much better than canned). Then you can just scrub them clean, sort of like you would carrots or turnips, and wrap them in foil and pop them in the oven for 45 minutes or so until they're soft. The foil isn't necessary, but it does make clean-up easier - the one trick about beets is that the juice stains. Once they're cooked the skins pull off and you can cube them or cut them into wedges.

After roasting and cutting, I love to do a quick saute with a bit of butter, brown sugar, and balsamic vinegar - the vinegar coats the beets and caramelizes. Yummy! This would be really good in the salad too!

You can also boil them, but you lose a lot of flavour and it can make a bit of a mess (see staining comments above).

spudugan
05-22-2005, 04:23 PM
The salad sounds wonderful. I like putting leftover roasted vegetables in a salad...you're right..something about the earthiness of the roasted vegetables with the fresh lettuce..great combo!

kcmo727
05-22-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Jen
Michelle - beets are so easy to cook. It's best to buy them fresh (they are so much better than canned). Then you can just scrub them clean, sort of like you would carrots or turnips, and wrap them in foil and pop them in the oven for 45 minutes or so until they're soft. The foil isn't necessary, but it does make clean-up easier - the one trick about beets is that the juice stains. Once they're cooked the skins pull off and you can cube them or cut them into wedges.

After roasting and cutting, I love to do a quick saute with a bit of butter, brown sugar, and balsamic vinegar - the vinegar coats the beets and caramelizes. Yummy! This would be really good in the salad too!

Jen -- thank you for such thorough advice! I love roasted vegetables so I will give beets a try, both your way and in a salad. BTW, your little girl is just beautiful! :D

donnamp14
05-23-2005, 12:16 PM
Rebecca- Isn't Big Fresh great!!! I have their take-out menu, and I use it for ideas when I want something fresh and light, but am sick of the same old stuff. Now and then after a long stint at the mall, I get it for take-out. (The only problem is that when I get Big Fresh, Dave goes next door to Tennessee's, because real meals must always have meat. Grrr.)
-Donna