PDA

View Full Version : HejazSunKat - Konafa

MaryH
05-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Linda,

Knowing how much you love this, I had to share this one. It is from Cindy Mushet's Desserts: Mediterranean Flavors California Style. If you can find the shredded filo, everything else is easy.

I made this today and thought it was excellent. My Armenian MIL agreed. DH would use simple syrup (he's a purist) but I really liked the punch from the orange juice.

Konafa with Tangerine Lime Syrup

You need an 8 x 3 inch round cake pan.

For the Syrup:

1 1/3 cups freshly squeezed and strained tangerine juice (if you buy it already squeezed, make sure you get two 8 ounce containers) (I used fresh squeezed orange juice)
1 cups sugar
cup freshly squeezed and strained lime juice

For the Pastry:

8 ounces (1/2 box) shredded filo (also called kuanfeh or kataifi), room temperature
12 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
One 15 ounce container whole milk ricotta (I used low fat and it was fine)

For serving:

3 tbsp raw unsalted shelled pistachios, toasted and coarsely chopped

To make the syrup:

Place tangerine juice in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until juice has reduced by half should have 2/3 cup concentrated tangerine juice. Add the sugar and lime juice to tangerine juice and turn heat to medium. Insert candy thermometer and cook until it registers 218 degrees F. Remove pan from heat and set candy thermometer aside. Pour syrup into medium bowl and cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until needed.

Preheat oven to 350. Position oven rack in center of oven.

To pre-bake the filo, place half of shredded filo in a medium bowl and use hand to gently separate any clumps. Pour half of the melted butter over filo and gently toss with hands until it is evenly coated. Arrange filo in an even layer in the bottom of a buttered baking pan. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until pastry is golden and crisp (Do not let it brown). Remove from oven. Place on a rack to cool completely.

To finish the konafa:

Spoon the ricotta in an even layer over the cooked filo leaving a inch border around the edges. Place the remaining half of shredded filo in the medium bowl and again gently separate strands with hands, discarding any hard clumps. Pour the rest of the melted butter over filo and gently toss with hands until it is evenly coated. Place small handfuls of filo over the surface of the ricotta, spreading gently to form an even layer. Place pan in oven and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until filo is golden.

Serving:

Serve dessert hot from oven. To unmold, remove pan from oven, loosen edges with a sharp knife. Invert pan onto a plate. Sprinkle with toasted pistachios. Bring hot konafa to table and pour one cup of syrup over surface of cake. Serve the remaining syrup in a pitcher so guests can add extra syrup if they like.

Clover
05-25-2005, 10:53 AM
I'm not Linda, but I'm copying this recipe--it looks great. Thanks!