PDA

View Full Version : ISO: Sides to go with Beef Stroganoff

Paula H
05-25-2005, 06:13 PM
Help me oh wise and all knowing (eating) friends...

I'm looking for one or two side dishes (i.e. vegetables) to serve up with CL's Beef Stroganoff (Sept 2002 version). We really love this stroganoff, but I'd like to get some veges in the mix - I was thinking maybe the pan-roasted balsamic broccoli from CL's Super Fast Suppers, but was wondering what others ideas you can share.

TIA!

oceanjasper
05-25-2005, 06:45 PM
What about roasted carrots? It would be a nice addition of colour to the plate. I recently tried the Barefoot Contessa recipe posted here on the BB and loved it!

little_bopeep
05-25-2005, 07:19 PM
Roasted or candied carrots go beautifully with stroganoff.

misskitty100
05-25-2005, 08:29 PM
I like zucchini with beef stroganoff.

ande
05-25-2005, 10:12 PM
We tend to have green beans of some sort and beets...usually Harvard (sweet & sour) beets. Yum.

ande

Sheila in MD
05-26-2005, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by Paula H
pan-roasted balsamic broccoli from CL's Super Fast Suppers,

Ohh...this sounds good! Can you please post this recipe? Thanks in Advance!

Sheila in MD

Okiedokie
05-26-2005, 12:52 PM
I always feel a person needs something to counteract the starch of the pasta if the recipe includes noodles, and I find things like green beans work well rather than adding another real starchy food like potatoes. I too, like the red beet idea, but maybe not Harvard Beets. A person needs a mixture of not only color, but also, textures, to make a pleasing meal, IMHO. I sort of like the idea of a veggie tray on the side with things such as sliced tomatoes, carrot sticks, celery sticks, or whatever other fresh uncooked veggies your family enjoys. Also, olives and/or pickles are a good condiment to add. A nice tossed green salad would also, be good with stroganoff. :)

GabrielleD
05-26-2005, 07:38 PM
How about a cucumber salad with a sugar/vinegar dressing? It's light, crisp and provides a nice balance to the meat and noodles.

Hammster
05-26-2005, 08:01 PM
I actually had this as a side dish with stroganoff when I was in Munich. The deep purple color is a great contrast to the brown stroganoff. This can be served hot or cold.

Braised Red Cabbage.
1 1/2 to 2 lbs red cabbage, shredded.
Vinegar
4 tbls oil
1-2 apples, chopped
1 large onion, studded with 3 whole cloves
1 tbls sugar
1-2 cups broth or water.

In a heavy saucepan, heat the oil and add the cabbage and apples. Sprinkle on vinegar to taste. Bury the clove studded onion in the cabbage and sprinkle the tbls sugar over all. Add some broth or water and simmer, covered, for approximately 30 -50 minutes, adding more liquid as needed.

Luvs2Cook
05-27-2005, 05:34 AM
I like to serve baby brussell sprouts with Beef Stroganoff :)

Paula H
05-27-2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the ideas everyone - I think I'll try out some recipes for roasted carrots (anyone got a favourite - low-fat of course) and will have to give the cabbage a try as well.

Originally posted by Sheila in MD

Ohh...this sounds good! Can you please post this recipe? Thanks in Advance!

Easy! Here you go (it really is great!):

Balsamic Pan-Roasted Broccoli

1 teaspoon olive oil
cooking spray
1 12-ounce package fresh broccoli florets
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add broccoli, cook, turning occasionally, 8 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp-tender. Remove from heat; add salt, pepper and vinegar.

Serves 4

oceanjasper
05-27-2005, 05:45 PM
Here is a link (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63330&highlight=roasted+carrots) to the thread where I found the recipe I recently tried.

Kay Henderson
05-28-2005, 08:04 AM
I usually serve a green vegetable such as green beans or broccoli. I serve them pretty plain, as a foil for the more highly seasoned beef stroganoff.

I also serve a green salad, often with additions.

Kay

Paula H
05-29-2005, 02:20 AM
Ohhhh, yummy - made the Barefoot Contessa roasted carrots for dinner (along with the Balsamic Pan-Roasted Broccoli) and they were yummy. This is particularly impressive since I'm usually not very fussed on roasted carrots and flick them all on to Dr Love's plate.

The two went really well together as side dishes - I'm happy! Thanks for the help all! :) :)