PDA

View Full Version : Whole Wheat flour

jbatka
06-10-2005, 02:00 PM
I am wondering how to convert white flour to whole wheat flour when baking. I heard the measurements should be different. And when I used whole wheat flour instead of white flour recently the muffins were a little dry.

Meganator
06-10-2005, 02:22 PM
It seems like most people are successful with using 1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 all purpose (one-to-one substitution). Using 100% whole wheat can result in a dense product, but there are other ingredients you can add to help that - I would say it depends on what you want to make (for bread, addition of vital wheat gluten helps). For example, you can use whole wheat pastry flour in some things, and that would give a lighter result than a higher protein ww flour; but if you are making bread, pastry flour wouldn't be what you'd want to use. Are you thinking in general, or for a specific type of recipe?

jbatka
06-10-2005, 02:35 PM
Thanks for your response. When I want to use whole wheat flour I am usually baking. I don't really make pastries or anything else. I prefer whole wheat pasta, whole wheat rice, etc. So I am trying to implement the same thing in my baking. When I used all whole wheat flour my muffins were pretty dense. So you would recomment doing 50/50?

Meganator
06-10-2005, 02:48 PM
I will qualify this by saying that I haven't tried it myself, but there has been lots of discussion about this topic (if you search for "whole wheat flour" you will turn up a lot of the threads).

Having said that, I would give the 50-50 a try in muffins. Or, since you aren't looking for gluten formation in muffins, you may get a better result with the ww pastry flour. Also, King Arthur makes a "white" whole wheat flour that is from a different type of wheat than the usualy ww flour, and provides a somewhat lighter result. I have used that for bread (100%), and it didn't come out as dense as it has when I used 100% regular ww.

cminmd
06-11-2005, 08:32 AM
I use the KA White Whole Wheat and it is great. If a recipe calls for three cups I would use two KS WWW and 1 c all purpose. The two to one ratio seems to work best for bread and pasta. If I make cookies or anything sweet, I use all purpose. Why fight that battle to make a chocolate chip cookie healthy? It will just encourage you to eat too much!:D

jbatka
06-13-2005, 08:12 AM
Thank you for your suggestions!