PDA

View Full Version : What to bring to a family who just had a baby?

PJB
06-23-2005, 04:05 PM
I know this has been discussed hundreds of times but what are your favorite things to bring to a family with a new baby? My day to serve them is over 4th of July weekend so I thought I could do a fun themed dessert along with the meal. Any great ideas?

Thanks

maisies1
06-23-2005, 05:39 PM
How funny- I just did this last weekend! :)

It was a first baby, and an emergency c-section (all is well, thankfully...)so I tried to keep it simple. I did the CL Chock Full Chicken Soup without the spinach (she can't have anything too fibrous- causes gassy bubbles in baby's stomach!)and roasted checken with skins and bones w/ assorted herbs from my containers, olive oil, sea salt, parsley and lemon under the skin. No garlic, though. Simple salad fixings, plus Pepperidge Farm crusty rolls to go with. I cooked big for leftovers and sandwiches. I then consulted my good friend the Cake Mix Doctor (no time for scratch- I had 1 day's notice!) and made a coffee cake to be dessert and breakfast for the next days.

Maybe blueberry cake/crumble/buckle for dessert? It's not strictly 4th of July, but very summery. Have fun!

Lillith
06-23-2005, 05:42 PM
I'd suggest anything that can be frozen. The new mom can serve what she wants and freeze the rest or other things for future use.

maisies1
06-23-2005, 05:52 PM
How funny- I just did this last weekend! :)

It was a first baby, and an emergency c-section (all is well, thankfully...)so I tried to keep it simple. I did the CL Chock Full Chicken Soup without the spinach (she can't have anything too fibrous- causes gassy bubbles in baby's stomach!)and roasted checken with skins and bones w/ assorted herbs from my containers, olive oil, sea salt, parsley and lemon under the skin. No garlic, though. Simple salad fixings, plus Pepperidge Farm crusty rolls to go with. I cooked big for leftovers and sandwiches. I then consulted my good friend the Cake Mix Doctor (no time for scratch- I had 1 day's notice!) and made a coffee cake to be dessert and breakfast for the next days.

Maybe blueberry cake/crumble/buckle for dessert? It's not strictly 4th of July, but very summery. Have fun!

maisies1
06-23-2005, 05:53 PM
whoops- sorry about that!

SammyOD
06-23-2005, 06:14 PM
How about that Merlot Pot Roast? That's a tasty one that freezes well. You can do that, mashed potatoes, salad, rolls and a festive dessert.

recipe-aholic
06-24-2005, 05:01 PM
I'm a mom with a 2 month old and a 2.5 year old. Meals that could be frozen were a great help to us in the first few weeks (especially since this is the time when people tend to bring you food, and you may not be able to eat it all right away). Muffins are also a good idea; they can be frozen and taken out as needed for a quick breakfast or snack. Homemade spaghetti sauce is always good to have in the freezer. It takes no effort to cook pasta, and I can't stand the taste of jared sauce. Homemade soup would also be great. Send it in individual serving sizes that can be frozen. Meal times are always crazy around here, and if I don't have a plan, then something quick and easy from the freezer is always great! Lately I've been buying frozen stuffed chicken because it's easy. How about doing up some homemade stuffed chicken breasts that can be frozen and cooked when needed? Hope this helps!

cchhbb
06-24-2005, 07:18 PM
I've been the lucky recepicant of 20 meals over the last few weeks after DS2 was born. I'm at the point where if I ever see another casserole it will be too soon. The best meals we received were chicken cordon bleu, a roasted pork tenderloin, summer chicken lasagna, a purchased roasted chicken, and sloppy joes. I really appreciated it when people included salads and fresh fruit. One of my friends actually brought a gallon of milk since I have a 2 1/2 year old and she didn't want me to have to go to the store.

We also got a lot of brownies. Someone brought us strawberry shortcake and it was so good.

That said, I'm so thankful for all the meals we received. Anything I didn't have to plan and cook was fabulous. We do have a ton of leftovers which I put in the freezer. DH is getting them for lunch everyday.

Cheryl

HedyL
06-24-2005, 08:17 PM
those rice and egg "muffins" from an old thread are really good..you can make a bunch, freeze them, and then they can be popped in the microwave for 1 minute.
quick breakfast. i got into making those a lot when i was just home from the hospital after DD was born (she's 17 months today!). i felt like i had no time to eat so grabbing a couple of those was good and they were portable as well.

HedyL
06-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Here's the link.. called breakfast in a cup. i usually leave out the chiles.

http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67310&highlight=rice+and+muffin

PJB
06-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the great ideas! I love the breakfast/muffin ideas, I hadn't thought of that.

CathyT
06-24-2005, 09:16 PM
I just had my baby 3 months ago, so I think what you're doing is wonderful! If you have time, I think the new mom might appreciate some cookies that can go into the freezer - then she can serve them when company stops by. Also, since in case she's breastfeeding, here's what I tried to avoid, especially in the first couple weeks: beans, garlic, broccoli, cabbage, spicy things, caffeine, chocolate. If she's having trouble with milk supply, soup and oatmeal cookies would be terrific. Hope that helps!

Cathy

http://photos16.flickr.com/20817968_c04686de9d_m.jpg (http://www.chieffamilyofficer.blogspot.com)

SweetSueDonym
06-25-2005, 01:10 PM
My standby dish for families with new babies is the CL Italian Meat Loaf. I always take it unbaked, with instructions on how to bake or to freeze. It has gotten raves. I also usually make twice-baked potatoes and take a salad, too.

KathrynY
06-25-2005, 06:42 PM
Quiche in a bag for the freezer is also a great option - see this (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?threadid=58351&highlight=quiche) thread for the recipe. I usually make a veggie quiche by substituting an extra cup of chopped, steamed veggies for the meat, and add additional seasonings/garlic etc. to mix things up. They can use it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner - whatever suits. Deliver with a batch of homemade muffins or bread, and a fruit salad and you're all set. :)

P.S. Pound cake freezes very well, and can be teamed with any fresh fruit and whipped cream for an easy dessert.

buddie
06-26-2005, 10:53 AM
we just had a baby and one of my fav meals i got was a large salad and loaf of garlic bread!! light, quick, easy, and so yummy.

never got any desserts....i would of love cold pie, lemon bars etc