PDA

View Full Version : ISO what to do with fontina cheese?

zackaboo
06-30-2005, 01:35 PM
So I have this block of fontina cheese in my refrigerator with no idea why (or even when) I bought it and what I intended to do with it. Other than eating it outright anyone have any recipes that use fontina cheese?

I always feel silly when this happens :rolleyes: ...

ellery
06-30-2005, 01:43 PM
is it one of the ingredients for a CL macaroni and cheese recipe? Something like a 4 cheese macaroni and cheese?

wallycat
06-30-2005, 01:48 PM
It is a great melting cheese. I use it for topping pizzas, in pasta bakes, in salads that call for chunks of mozzer. and I melt it on crackers and eat it.

lorilei
06-30-2005, 01:49 PM
Sandwiches... paninis... chicken sandwiches... eggplant sandwiches... anything you can make warmed or melty.

SueK
06-30-2005, 01:52 PM
I really like this old CL recipe, and you could use more of the fontina, and less of the other cheeses.

Tequila Sunrise Pasta Quattro Fromaggio
1 tablespoon stick margarine or butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated skim milk
1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded fontina cheese
1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled Gorgonzola or other blue cheese
1/4 cup (1 ounce) diced Camembert cheese
6 cups hot cooked rigatoni (about 9 ounces uncooked pasta)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup (1 ounce) finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Melt margarine in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add pepper, salt, and milk, and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and add fontina, Gorgonzola, and Camembert cheeses, stirring until cheeses melt. Stir in pasta and basil; spoon into each of 4 bowls. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups pasta and 1 tablespoon parmesan)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 485(23% from fat); FAT 12.2g (sat 7g,mono 3.3g,poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 23.6g; CHOLESTEROL 35mg; CALCIUM 453mg; SODIUM 548mg; FIBER 3.3g; IRON 3.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 68.9g

Cooking Light, MARCH 1998

SueK
06-30-2005, 01:59 PM
Here are two from Giada that sound good, and are on my "to try" list:

Italian Quesadillas Recipe
courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

4 tablespoons olive oil, plus more as needed
2 large onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
9 (8-inch-diameter) flour tortillas
3 cups shredded Fontina
3/4 cup jarred roasted red bell peppers, drained well and patted dry
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
1/3 cup freshly shredded Parmesan, plus 3 tablespoons for garnish

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions and sugar, and cook until the onions are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Season the onions, to taste, with salt and pepper; set aside.
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.

Sprinkle some Fontina over half of a tortilla. Arrange some bell peppers and sauteed onions on top of the Fontina. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and Parmesan. Sprinkle more Fontina over. Fold the clean half over the filling to cover and press gently to seal. Repeat with remaining tortillas evenly dividing the filling ingredients.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil on a heavy large griddle over medium heat. Working in batches, cook the quesadillas until the cheese melts and the tortillas are golden brown, adding more oil as needed, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the quesadillas to baking sheets and keep them warm in the oven while cooking the remaining quesadillas.

Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan over the quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges. Arrange them on a platter. Garnish the platter with parsley sprigs and serve.

Do-Ahead Tip: The quesadillas can be assembled up to 8 hours ahead. Arrange them on a baking sheet, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate.

Episode#: EI1F11
Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

Panino di Prosciutto e Fontina
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

2 to 4 slices (3 ounces total) fontina cheese
2 slices (1/2-inch-thick) rustic white bread
2 paper-thin slices red onion (optional)
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
6 fresh baby spinach leaves
1 to 2 paper-thin slices (1/2-ounce) prosciutto
2 to 3 teaspoons olive oil

Place 1 to 2 slices of fontina atop 1 bread slice. Top with the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Then add spinach and prosciutto. Add the remaining slice(s) of fontina. Top with the second bread slice. Brush both sides of the sandwich with the oil.
Heat a grill pan over medium-low heat. Grill the sandwich until the bread is golden brown and the cheese melts, pressing down with a metal spatula or grill press, about 4 minutes per side.

Episode#: EI1B08
Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

srahndennis
06-30-2005, 02:00 PM
I love these sandwiches!

Grilled Chicken and Roasted Red Pepper Sandwiches with Fontina Cheese
From Cooking Light

A garlic-herb marinade gives the chicken a flavorful jump start. You can serve an entire quarter or cut each quarter into two wedges. Serve with vegetable chips.

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
5 garlic cloves, minced and divided
Cooking spray
1 cup vertically sliced onion
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (7-ounce) bottle roasted red bell peppers, drained and sliced
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (12-ounce) loaf rosemary focaccia, cut in half horizontally
4 teaspoons low-fat mayonnaise
3 ounces fontina cheese, thinly sliced

Place chicken between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and pound to 3/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
Combine juice, mustard, oil, marjoram, thyme, 1 garlic clove, and chicken in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 2 hours, turning occasionally.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add remaining 4 garlic cloves, onion, sugar, fennel, crushed red pepper, and salt, and sauté 1 minute. Add roasted bell peppers; cook 5 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring frequently. Stir in vinegar and black pepper.

Prepare grill to medium-high heat.

Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade. Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 5 minutes on each side or until done. Cool slightly; cut chicken into slices.

Spread cut sides of bread evenly with mayonnaise. Arrange cheese on bottom half of bread. Arrange chicken and pepper mixture over cheese. Top with top half of bread; press lightly.

Place stuffed loaf on grill rack; grill 3 minutes on each side or until cheese melts. Cut into quarters.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich quarter)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 462(24% from fat); FAT 12.2g (sat 4.7g,mono 3.7g,poly 1.7g); PROTEIN 39.5g; CHOLESTEROL 90mg; CALCIUM 199mg; SODIUM 981mg; FIBER 5.6g; IRON 3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 51.2g

David Bonom
Cooking Light, JUNE 2004

MISSINDI
06-30-2005, 02:15 PM
Mrswaz posted a recipe for Italian Dip that's really yummy. I made it earlier in the week, and am making it for Supper Club tonight.

I added olive oil and black pepper on the top.

Italian Dip with Crostini
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup Fontina cheese, grated
1/4 cup chopped fresh spinach
3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (I used basil and oregano)

Mix all together and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil over the top and cracked black pepper. Serve with crostini for dipping.

bobmark226
06-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by SueK

Tequila Sunrise Pasta Quattro Fromaggio
1 tablespoon stick margarine or butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated skim milk
1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded fontina cheese
1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled Gorgonzola or other blue cheese
1/4 cup (1 ounce) diced Camembert cheese
6 cups hot cooked rigatoni (about 9 ounces uncooked pasta)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup (1 ounce) finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Cooking Light, MARCH 1998

Sue, you've been holding out on me!!! How could the Mac & Cheese Maven possibly resist this? D**n the humidity, full speed ahead!

Bob

SueK
06-30-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by bobmark226
Sue, you've been holding out on me!!! How could the Mac & Cheese Maven possibly resist this? D**n the humidity, full speed ahead!
Bob
Oh Bob, I could live the rest of my life eating nothing but cheese. This dish is great because it sooo cheesy and gooey. Heck, now that I've reminded myself about it, I think I might have to put it on the menu for next week!

zackaboo
07-01-2005, 01:39 PM
Thanks for all of the great ideas. Not only that, but Sue I think you found what I originally bought the fontina for! I wanted to try Giada's recipe for paninis...but now with so many other options, I might do something else instead. I missed the quesadilla one but we love quesdillas.

bobmark226
07-02-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by SueK

This dish is great because it sooo cheesy and gooey. Heck, now that I've reminded myself about it, I think I might have to put it on the menu for next week!

Fabulous! I wiped out the whole potful within 24 hours and I expect to keep making it constantly until I can't look at it anymore. I even loaded up on fat-free evaporated milk this morning! :)

My only question is why it's so named. Is the recipe from a restaurant named Tequila Sunrise?

Thanks again, Sue!
Bob

zackaboo
07-02-2005, 02:32 PM

Fabulous! I wiped out the whole potful within 24 hours and I expect to keep making it constantly until I can't look at it anymore. I even loaded up on fat-free evaporated milk this morning! :)

My only question is why it's so named. Is the recipe from a restaurant named Tequila Sunrise?

Thanks again, Sue!
Bob

Wow! That is quite the glowing recommendation Bob. And until now I had pegged you as a man with great self control...

Maybe I will have to use my fontina cheese up in this recipe.

kristalsnow7
07-02-2005, 02:49 PM

Thanks again, Sue!
Bob

Bob,

If I recall correctly, this recipe is from an old CL article featuring recipes inspired by films. They also had a recipe for "Desk Set" Oven Fried Chicken in the same article.