PDA

View Full Version : Kale Questions!

Angelina
07-05-2005, 12:54 PM
Ok, I am trying to eat more dark leafy greens, so I bought kale yesterday...I am NOT usually a dark leafy green lover! I found this recipe on the CL recipe archive, and I was wondering if anybody has ever tried this. Also, how many cups of kale you get from a 4oz bunch? And the recipe seems to indicate to cut up the kale AFTER cooking it...does that mean I just plunge the big leaves in the water?
Last but not least, if anyone has some tried and true kale recipes, feel free to post. ;)

Mashed-Potato Cakes with Onions and Kale

12 cups water
1 bunch kale, trimmed (about 4 ounces)
2 2/3 cups (1-inch) cubed Yukon gold or red potato (about 1 pound)
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine
3 cups diced onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cooking spray
Sage sprigs (optional)

Bring water to a boil in a Dutch oven; add kale. Cover and cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until tender. Remove kale with a slotted spoon, reserving cooking liquid. Chop kale and set aside.
Add potato to reserved cooking liquid in pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Drain; partially mash potatoes. Stir in kale and 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Preheat oven to 400°.

Heat oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, diced onion, and chopped sage. Cook 13 minutes or until browned. Combine potato mixture, onion mixture, green onions, and pepper. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Divide potato mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Place patties on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes.

Preheat broiler.

Broil patties for 5 minutes or until browned. Garnish with sage sprigs, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 patties)

CALORIES 246(26% from fat); FAT 7g (sat 2.4g,mono 3.4g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 5.1g; CHOLESTEROL 8mg; CALCIUM 87mg; SODIUM 495mg; FIBER 5.1g; IRON 2.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 43.2g
Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 1999

staceye
07-05-2005, 01:24 PM
I've never tried that recipe, but here's one that's VERY easy and yummy:

Kale & Noodles

One pound of spaghetti or linguine (whole wheat works, too)
One large bunch of kale, washed and thinly sliced (about 6-8 cups)
2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 Cup soy sauce (or more to taste)
1-2 Tablespoons dark sesame oil
1-2 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

Bring water to boil according to pasta directions. Boil the pasta for about 5 minutes, then add sliced kale directly to the pasta and boiling water. Continue cooking for 3-5 minutes until the pasta is tender and the kale bright green. Drain.

Return the kale and pasta to the pot, add the remaining ingredients, and toss to coat. Adjust oils/seasonings to your liking.

Serves 4-6 as a main dish, more as a side dish.

luckylori
07-05-2005, 01:39 PM
I love kale. If you do a search of this message board you'll come up with some good recipes. As for your recipe. It says to trim the kale. To do so, you'll want to remove the big stems and wash it really well.

kristalsnow7
07-05-2005, 01:51 PM
This is a good recipe, and I'd recommend it to someone who hasn't tried kale. The creamy goat cheese and sun-dried tomatoes tend to dominate, so there's just a hint of "darky, leafy green" here. :)

Rigatoni with Goat Cheese, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, and Kale

1/2 cup sun-dried tomato sprinkles (I just used regular sun-dried tomatoes and cut them up into little pieces)
2 cups boiling water
1/2 teaspoon chili oil (or vegetable oil) (I added a bit of crushed red pepper flakes to the oil)
1/4 cup minced shallots
6 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups coarsely chopped kale
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
6 cups cooked rigatoni (about 12 ounces uncooked pasta)
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled goat cheese

Combine tomato sprinkles and boiling water in a bowl; let stand 30 minutes. Drain tomatoes in a sieve over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup liquid.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add kale; sauté 3 minutes or until wilted. Add tomatoes; sauté 2 minutes. Add reserved 1/2 cup liquid, oregano, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer 3 minutes or until kale is tender.

Combine the pasta, kale mixture, and goat cheese in a large bowl, and toss well.

Note: Substitute 1 cup thawed frozen chopped kale for fresh, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 396(13% from fat); FAT 5.8g (sat 2.7g,mono 1.2g,poly 1.3g); PROTEIN 15.7g; CHOLESTEROL 13mg; CALCIUM 200mg; SODIUM 484mg; FIBER 4.4g; IRON 4.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 72.3g

Cooking Light, MAY 1998

Ohioan
07-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Angelina, I'd advise cooking the kale a lot more than five minutes, especially if you're cooking whole leaves. I've never yet met a kale that needed less than 15 minutes (except maybe lacinato kale), and that's when it's cut up. Some old and tough kale can take a half hour. The best bet is to keep poking at it while it cooks, to see when it's starting to get tender.

Actually, for your original recipe, I don't see why you can't chop the kale before cooking it, to speed up the cooking time. It'll be a little trickier to drain with a slotted spoon, but you can use a colander over a large bowl.

Cheers,
Phoebe

mcgeiger
07-06-2005, 07:33 AM
This is based on a recipie in A New way to Cook:
Wash and chop kale to about 6 cups (1 bunch is more than enough)
Heat 1 tbs oil in large skillet
Add 1-3 sliced garlic cloves
Cook cloves until crispy and remove
Add 1-2 tsp crushed red pepper and kale, immediately cover
If the kale does not wilt within a minute (the older it is, the longer it will take), add 1-3 tbs water and cover again
Remove from heat and top with garlic

This dish usually takes less than 10 minutes from getting the kale out until done.

Valerie226
07-06-2005, 08:26 AM
I love kale.I slice it before cooking. take the big leaves, run a knife down the center rib to trim off the stem & part way up the leaf where the stem is still pretty thick. I pile up the leaves in a stack and then roll them like a big cigar. you can slice thru the whole cigar in about 1/4 inch slices and then give a quick cross chop so the shreds aren't too long. It cooks quickly this way and gets tender without losing its intense green color. I steam it plain or saute with garlic and a bit of olive oil, like mcgeiger posted. I don't like it cooked more than maybe 5 or 7 minutes. Some kale is tougher than others so taste test. I usually grow my own so it may be more tender than store bought. there are lots of different kinds of kale, some flat leaf and some frilly.

Angelina
07-06-2005, 09:29 AM
Thank you ladies...if I get home at a decent time tonight, I will give it a shot! :)

Angela

CL addict
07-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Just be sure you use it within the next day or two. Kale tends to turn yellow and get more bitter after only a short time in the fridge.

Angelina
07-06-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by CL addict
Just be sure you use it within the next day or two. Kale tends to turn yellow and get more bitter after only a short time in the fridge.

You know, I have a bad habit of buying things (like kale) and I keep postponing on eating them till it's too late. Thank you for reminding me...I don't want to do this again. :D

Angela