PDA

View Full Version : Double-Chocolate Zucchini Bread

SueK
07-14-2005, 07:12 AM
For those of you who are growing bumper crops of zucchini, I thought I'd post this recipe that I made last night. It's in the Food Network Kitchens cookbook. It's very moist and chocolately, and easy to throw together. DD loved it even though it has zucchini in it. ;) It's not light as written, but can definitely be lightened; I made as is, though. My notes are in italics.

Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Food Network Kitchens Cookbook

2 Loaves (about 16 servings)

2 cups all-purpose flour
cup unsweetened natural cocoa (not Dutch process)
1 tsp baking soda
tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch ground cloves (I didn't put cloves in.)
1 cup unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
1 cups sugar
cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
cup buttermilk, at room temperature
2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini (about 8 oz)
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped I just used mini chocolate chips.)

1)Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pans. Whisk the flour with the cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves in a medium bowl.

2)Beat the butter and sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. While mixing, drizzle in the oil and beat until incorporated. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

3)Add the vanilla to the buttermilk. Slowly mix the flour mixture into the beaten butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk in 2 parts, beginning and ending with the flour. Fold the zucchini and chocolate into the batter. Divide batter between prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Cool in pans on a rack before unmolding and slicing.

tigermorris
07-15-2005, 04:34 PM
bumping... this looks very good.
Do you need butter and the oil?

SueK
07-15-2005, 05:29 PM
I actually used canola oil instead of veg oil and although I did use the whole amount of butter, you wouldn't have to, as this was a very moist bread. I would just use a sub for butter instead. I have Sandra Woodruff's Secrets of Fat-Free Baking and here's what she says about fat substitutes:

Replace all or part of the butter, margarine or other solid shortening in cake, muffin and quick bread recipes with half as much non-fat buttermilk, nonfat yogurt or skim milk. If a recipe calls for oil, replace all or part of of the oil with three-fourths as much fat substitute. Mix up the batter. If it seems too dry, add a little more fat substitute. Some recipes may need a one-for-one substitution.

To retain moistness, bake fat-free and fat-reduced cakes, muffins and quick breads at a slightly lower than standard temperature. Bake muffins at 305, quick breads and cakes at 325 to 350 degrees.

pilgrim719
07-22-2005, 08:52 PM
I made this today and just had some and it is so good! Very chocolatey and moist! I love the way the spices go with the chocolate. I used mini chips like Sue, as it just seemed quicker and easier. I also made muffins instead of loaves, since I find them easier to freeze. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, Sue! It's a definite keeper! :)

Kari

SueK
07-23-2005, 08:08 AM
Kari- I'm glad you liked it! When I made it, I froze the second loaf, but probably Food Savered it too fast, cause it was still kind of warm and it compressed a bit. When I defrosted it, it was only the height of a sheet cake, and had a denser consistency. DH loved it that way and said it tasted like a big brownie! :)