PDA

View Full Version : Best way to pre cook chicken

cinnabun
07-15-2005, 11:59 PM
I want to make something that calls for "cooked" chicken, which would be the best way to do it? Poached, pan-fried, or baked?

CL addict
07-16-2005, 12:41 AM
I have no idea what the "right" way is, but I once had the same question, and came up with what works for me. I just rub a little salt on skinless, boneless chicken breasts, put them in a Corning baking dish with a lid, and bake them at 350 til done (30 or 40 min, depending on size).
I find they stay moist this way. When I tried other ways, sometimes they were too dry in chicken salads and such.
Don't know if this is the "best" way, but it works for me. I didn't have a BB to ask back then. :)

Jeanette

Cookin4Love
07-16-2005, 12:43 AM
I do almost the same thing, except I use seasoning salt and add a little bit of water or chicken stock. I sometimes make a dozen or more chicken breasts at a time, then wrap them individually and store them in the freezer for the times when I need cooked chicken.

Curleytop
07-16-2005, 10:53 AM
I put the skinless/boneless breast pieces in a 8" pyrex pie dish, add nothing to it, no water no seasoning, cover with waxed paper and microwave it for about 3 minutes. Maybe turn it over once. It will continue to cook after you take it out of the micro.
I do this all the time for casserole dishes that asks for cooked chicken, and for chicken pie.
All the seasonings are in the cooked dish so no need to season before microwaving.
As an alternative you can also use the pressure cooker if you have a whole chicken to precook.
I may be 80 years old, but I don't like to spend all day in the kitchen, precooking stuff!

Canice
07-16-2005, 11:35 AM
I use bone-in, skin-on breasts and bake 'em, let them cool, and discard skin and bones.

peachesncream
07-16-2005, 11:51 AM
This is the method I use, from Sara Foster's cookbook.

Poached Chicken Breasts (for cooked chicken to use in recipes)
Foster’s Market Cookbook

4 chicken breast halves, bone-in, skin on
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

1. Rinse the chicken. Season chicken with salt and pepper and place in a saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover the chicken by 2”.
Bring to a boil, lower heat so that the liquid simmers, and cook 30 to 35 minutes or until just cooked through. The juices should run clean when the chicken is pierced with the tip of a sharp knife in the thickest part.

2. Remove chicken from the water and cool until easy to handle. (I put on a plate and cover with foil so chicken doesn't dry out.) Remove the skin and discard. Pull the meat from the bones and shred into bite size pieces, or cut into chunks.

If using boneless breasts, they will cook faster – 15 to 20 minutes. But, bone-in breasts have the best flavor.

stacy7272
07-16-2005, 04:23 PM
I usually just grill a boneless, skinless chicken breast on my George Foreman grill (after sprinkling with salt and pepper).

mbrogier
07-16-2005, 04:40 PM
I do like Canice and get the bone in breasts or a whole bird and bake them. I think the meat is more moist--if you don't overcook. The bones add flavor, and you can then make stock.

cinnabun
07-16-2005, 04:57 PM
Thanks for all the help. I will probably just bake them but keep the other suggestions in mind for the next time. I have the foster's market cookbook but didn't see that in there. The only thing I have made from that book so far since I got it is the blueberriest muffins. I will have to go look that up in the book and mark it so I can reference it in the future. Thank You everyone.

landk
07-16-2005, 09:43 PM
I prefer just baking or poaching (similar to what Peaches posted) with some salt and pepper and I also prefer bone-in, skin on chicken breasts and remove the skin after cooked.

peachesncream
07-17-2005, 01:20 AM
Cinnabun - You know, I wrote on my recipe card that Sara's instructions for poaching chicken breasts came from the Foster's Market Cookbook (which I checked out of the library awhile back), but I found the instructions on the Fosters Market website, which may be where I first saw them - I'm not sure, because I've visited that website in the past also.

Anyway, here's a link to her instructions and her website:

http://www.fostersmarket.com/Recipes/CookingTips/poached_chicken_breasts.html

There are a lot of free recipes on that website that I've been meaning to try, but I never seem to get around to it!

I'm wondering what you thought of her blueberry muffin recipe? I've been looking for a good recipe for those for a long time.

peachesncream
07-17-2005, 01:33 AM
There's something else I often do with that poached chicken recipe. I add a couple of tablespoons of Spice Islands Chicken Stock Seasoned Base to the water when I start. This results in a very rich broth, which can be kept and used. The seasoned stock base won't compete with the flavors of whatever recipe you use your poached chicken in.

cinnabun
07-17-2005, 06:01 AM
I could tell the cinnamon was in there. They were ok. I too am looking for a good blueberry muffin recipe. I didn't add the lemon zest as I didn't have any in the house. I do have some dried blueberries to use up and may use those next time. They are ok muffins. Worth trying again.

cinnabun
07-17-2005, 06:04 AM
I did finally find that in the foster's market cookbook also. Thank you. I just haven't gotten that far into the book yet. When I did look through it I must of skipped over the part of the book where those chicken recipes are at because I don't remember seeing them the first time.

Chocolate Rose
07-17-2005, 04:26 PM
How I precook the chicken depends on what I'm going to do with it.
Lately I've been doing a lot of poaching. We've been having a lot of meals that need Mexican type flavors - chicken tostadas, Mexican casserole, etc.
I use boneless skinless boobs and put them in water that I've added chicken broth, onion, garlic, chili powder, and cumin to. I poach them til done and then leave them in the water til they've cooled a bit. I've found that if I take them out while still really hot they dry out too much. When I leave them in the water they turn out really moist.

If I need chicken for a salad or something else like that I just grill it or roast it with some McCormicks chicken grill seasoning.

gabbyh
07-17-2005, 04:41 PM
I do the same as Chocolate Rose, but when I poach them, I use Sara Moultons method.

~Gail

HealthyinMN
07-17-2005, 05:33 PM
I also pretty much do the same as Chocolate rose - its pretty fast when I need it (IE I forgot to do it ahead of time :D).

fci5767
07-17-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Chocolate Rose

I use boneless skinless boobs

Oh my. I wish there was a "spitting liquid at your computer screen" smilie. My computer can't take much more of this :D

Beth

Chocolate Rose
07-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by fci5767
Oh my. I wish there was a "spitting liquid at your computer screen" smilie. My computer can't take much more of this :D Beth
LOL!! Sorry Beth!!

CindyWeightWatcher
07-17-2005, 09:38 PM
I poach them, 20 minutes and they're done.

cinnabun
07-18-2005, 12:52 AM
Thank you for mentioning sara moultons method of poaching chicken. I did a search for it and found it for future use.

CindyWeightWatcher
07-19-2005, 09:59 PM
Here is Sara Moulton's recipe:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sara's Method for Poaching Chicken Recipe

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 quart chicken stock -- preferably homemade
2 large whole bone-in chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds total) -- split at the sternum

In a large pot with a tight-fitting lid, combine the stock and chicken and bring to a boil. Cover and remove from the heat. Let stand until completely cool.
Check the chicken for doneness. Simmer for 2 minutes longer if the chicken appears to be undercooked. Discard the bones and skin and cut into 1/2 to 3/4-inch cubes. Strain the cooking liquid and reserve for another use.