PDA

View Full Version : Help me spend my iTunes GC Please

Molli
07-22-2005, 10:24 AM
I've got 2- $25 GCs to iTunes :) Yay!

I want to make a workout mix for my MP3 player. It has 256 mb - so I figure I should be able to put at least 25 songs on it.

I am looking for songs that I will get/keep me pumped up during a walk/run. I really don't care for country music, and that is it. I also love 80's music, and have quite a bit of that on CDs I can transfer.

There is only 1 song I can think of right now, that has to be on there-

Come on Eileen

Help me figure out 24 more please :)

Molli
07-22-2005, 10:28 AM
I am also thought of another - but not mandatory - Copacabana.

Yes, I like Barry :)

MISSINDI
07-22-2005, 10:31 AM
Len's Steal my Sunshine is a 90s upbeat song, and C+C Music Factory had a couple of good fast ones in their day.

I downloaded a bunch of stuff last night -- all Bon Jovi and Springsteen tunes. I also snagged Jane Child's "Don't Wanna Fall in Love" - loved that one. I'll take a quick look through my list when I get home.

Molli
07-22-2005, 10:37 AM
Thanks. I am scared to peruse the site - I will probably end up spend way more than I have in GCs

MISSINDI
07-22-2005, 10:51 AM
Yeah, it's dangerous - 0.99 here and there adds up. My computer crashed a few weeks ago and I lost everything, including my downloaded. I was holding my breath until they said they'd let me redownload them again.

They have a section grouped by genre/time period that might help you too. I think it's under the iMix tab on the left side.

gertdog
07-22-2005, 11:17 AM
Molli, don't know if they have this at iTunes, but I love Walking on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves- one of my favorite 80s "happy songs." :)

blazedog
07-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Well the absolute best thing about my iPOD is creating a new workout mix everyday -- I have about 16,000 songs stored digitally including what I consider some EXTREMELY great workout songs - I use a lot of 80's stuff but could you give me a hint of what you mean by that so I can be more specific - i.e.

New Wave -- i.e. Billy Idol, Duran Duran, Orchestral Maneouvers In the Dark, Scandal --
Hair Metal -- Ratt, Poison, Motley Crue, Whitesnake, Skid Row, CInderella etc.
Arena Rock - Springsteen, ZZ Top (Sharp Dressed Man) Van Halen - Higher, Right Now; John Mellencamp - Authority Song' U2 - Where The Streets Have no Name; Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Punk -- X, Ramones, Clash
Guns n Roses -- Welcome To The Jungle, My Michelle
Classic Rock -- Creedence - Fortunate Son; Lodi, Who'll Stop The Rain. Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild
Reggae -- Pressure Drop,
Sting - Desert Rose
Stevie Winwood - Finer Things, Higher Love

Some disco is really great to work out to because the beat is so sustaining -- It's Raining Men is a lot of fun and Don't Leave Me This Way - THelma Houston; Donna Summers etc.

Anyway these are just off the top of my head -- I could go on endlessly

:D :D

MISSINDI
07-22-2005, 11:20 AM
Molli - you might want to check out this thread (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75317&highlight=song) too.

Molli
07-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Blaze-

I like the looks of a lot of songs on that list. I do want more up-tempo songs with a faster beat to keep me going. I have Totally 80's on my MP3 right now, and some of the songs are just *too* slow.

Stephanie - I do have Walking on Sunshine on one of my 80s compilations. Will have to add that.

blazedog
07-22-2005, 11:44 AM
A few more :D :D

I am sticking to the 1980's although there has been some EXCELLENT music in the past 15 years

Duran Duran -- Rio,
Whitney Houston - How Will I Know, I Want To Dance With Somebody
Whitesnake -- Here I Go Again, Slide It In'
The Amboys -- Journey To The Center Of Your Mind
Tom Petty - Refuge
Thompson Twins - Hold Me Now
Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever
Stray Cats - Rock This Town
It's My Life - Talk Talk
Bang A Gone
Steve Miller - Abracadabra,
Stevie Wonder - Signed, Sealed, Delivered, Happy Birthday
Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks - Edge of Seventeen, Gypsy, Don't Stop,
Simple Minds -- Don't You Foget About Me
Springsteen -- Born To Run, Sherry, The Promised Land, No Surrender
Scorpions - Rock You LIke A Hurricane, No One Like You
Roxette - Dangerous
Aha - Take On Me
Stones - Brown Sugar, Let It Bleed
Rod Stewart - Young Turks
Rick Derringer - ROck N Roll Hoochie Coo
Prine - Little Red Corvette; 1999
Pet Shop Boys - Always On My Mind
Paul Simon - Me & Julio, Graceland
Pat Benatar - Hit Me WIth Your Best Shot, We Belong To THe Night, Love Is A Battlefield
Modern English - I Melt With You
Mike & The Mechanics - The LIving Years
Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
Men At Work - WHo Can It Be Now
Madonna -- Get INto The Groove, Borderline
Loverboy - Working For The weekend

Meg O'C
07-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Molli
I am also thought of another - but not mandatory - Copacabana.

Yes, I like Barry :)

I recently got this one myself so that's was I was thinking of recommending as I read your first post, but I thought, no, she might think that's cheesey. Then I scrolled down and saw your second post. I love this song for getting moving!

Meg O'C
07-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Here are some others that come to mind:

-I Need a Lover - John Mellencamp (the long lead in to the lyrics really gets you fired up, might be a little slow). DH and I were at his concert with John Fogerty last weekend so I have him on the brain.

I've recently purchased a lot rom iTunes - very random mix, but here are some I purchased with working out in mind:
-1985 - Bowling for Soup - this one was popular last fall - I love it, very funny and up beat
-Footloose (Kenny Loggins)
-Give It Up (KC and Sunshine Band - there is a version on iTunes with a little techno piece added to the end - didn't know until after I purchased it, but it's grown on me)
-Mickey (Tony Basil)
-Lido Shuffle (Boz Scaggs)
-Vacation (the Go-Go's)

Have fun! I'll be curious to hear what you get . . . so I can go back and add to my collection!