PDA

View Full Version : Heavy/Whipping Cream

jtoepfert100
08-02-2005, 11:37 AM
I have an open container of heavy cream I'd like to use up. If it can be frozen, that's excellent. Otherwise, does anyone have a great recipe that calls for it. I'm thinking some sort of baked good I can send to work with DH would be nice.

funniegrrl
08-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Yes it can be frozen!

If you want to use it up in a dessert, how about some sort of pot-de-creme or creme brulee?

Canice
08-02-2005, 11:57 AM
Or take advantage of all the wonderful berries that are in season! Berries topped with whipped cream (I put a splash of vanilla in mine; Ina does all those cassis and other liquers in hers) make a nice dessert. Crumbled amaretti or ginger snaps are a nice touch, too.
(Oops, sorry - that's not really a "lunch box" dessert! :o )

jtoepfert100
08-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Thanks funniegrrl - how do you usually defrost it to use in something? If I were to use it in a dessert, it would have to be something I could send to work with DH, I watch what I eat so I would have trouble eating something with that much heavy cream in it. (I just know MISSINDI is going to pop in here and make fun of me. :o )

patissac
08-02-2005, 12:17 PM
Hey jen!
A thought came to mind....I like to use it in something sinful and I know his coworkers would appreciate anything you make them!
Why not make a pot of fondue? Or better yet...I've made...Don't faint now...but Sandra Lee's Boston Cream Cupcakes, Thier super easy and amazing, the frosting is a ganache. Yum!

pilgrim719
08-02-2005, 02:20 PM
These cupcakes are excellent!

Chocolate-Dipped Banana Buttermilk Cupcakes
from "Sweet Stuff: Karen Barker's American Desserts"

Cupcakes:
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
12 tbsp (6 oz) butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup mashed bananas (2 medium-sized bananas)
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp buttermilk

Chocolate Glaze:
1/2 cup cream
6 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 tbsp corn syrup

Preparation for the cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Place paper liners in the cups of muffin tins.
2. Sift the cake flour, baking soda, and baking powder together. Add the salt and reserve.
3. Using a mixer fitted with a paddle, cream the butter with the sugar. Add the eggs and mix to blend well, scraping the bowl once or twice.
4. Combine the vanilla, mashed banana, and buttermilk and mix to blend. Alternately with the reserved dry ingredients, add this mixture to the batter in two additions, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
5. Mix the batter just until the ingredients are combined. Divide the batter among the lined muffin tins, filling each cup two-thirds full.
6. Bake at 350F for approximately 20 minutes, until the cupcakes are golden brown and just firm to the touch. Cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes and then carefully remove the cupcakes and allow them to cool completely on a rack.

Preparation for the chocolate glaze:
1. In a small saucepan, bring the cream to just under a boil. Add the chocolate and, over very low heat, stir until it is just melted. Remove from heat and stir in the corn syrup. Cool slightly.
2. Glaze each cupcake by completely dipping the top in the glaze. As you remove the cupcake, give it a twist to prevent the glaze from dripping down the sides. Place the glazed cupcakes upright on a baking sheet or plate and chill briefly in the refrigerator to set the glaze. Serve at room temperature.

Makes 18-24 cupcakes.

blazedog
08-02-2005, 02:41 PM
I believe Shirley Corriher's biscuits are made with cream -- supposed to be the ultimate biscuit.

Aren't scones sometimes made with cream? Am I suffering from a food related hallucination because it's close to my lunch time? Am I confusing with clotted cream you put ON scones?

annagins
08-02-2005, 02:53 PM
I'm actually in the same boat, but I think I'm going to make homemade ice cream with my cream.

Another recipe I had my eye on was a whipping cream pound cake on Recipezaar. Here's the link so you can read the reviews.

http://www.recipezaar.com/84667

jtoepfert100
08-02-2005, 03:22 PM
Kari - I saw those cupcakes on another thread and didn't even see that they used whipping cream - they look great! I'm tossed between that and the pound cake Anna posted. The pound cake appeals because I have everything on hand although I'm not sure if I could just send a pound cake to DH's work - do people eat it just plain (I would but I have weird tastes sometimes)?

MISSINDI
08-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Jen, I'm SURE you haven't made Creme Brulee yet -- you could make that. Otherwise, a unique treat for DH to bring in would be Baked French Toast with Pecans (I put the recipe on my site last night). It calls for 1/2-1/2, but heavy cream would certainly work, just use a little less. A nice sinfully delicious breakfast to start DH's co-workers day off right .... what could be better? ;) Especially since I KNOW anything you make with heavy cream is not going to pass YOUR lips (but you knew that was coming!) ;).

greysangel
08-02-2005, 03:31 PM
I would make some pastry cream and then make a tart with some fresh fruit on top :)

rosie_one
08-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Or how about this chilled soup? It's wonderful, from the Bountiful Arbor, the Ann Arbor Junior League cookbook that Cangoss sent to me in our swap last year. (Thank you for that! Love it!)

Michigan Cherry Soup

3 cups cold water
1 cup sugar
3 cinnamon sticks
1.5 lbs. fresh or frozen tart cherries, pitted
1 T. corn starch
2 T. water
3/4 cup pinot noir or other dry red wine
1/4 cup heavy cream

~In a stockpot, over medium heat, mix water, sugar and cinnamon sticks and boil until sugar dissolves. Add cherries and simmer 35 minutes. (10 minutes if cherries are canned). Whisk cornstarch with water and mix into cherry mixture. Boil two minutes or until thick (mine didn't thicken that much) Cool in refrigerator several hours or overnight.

~Before serving, stir in read wine and cream and remove the cinnamon sticks. If desired, add more wine to taste to reduce sweetness. Garnish with a white or purple flower.

My notes: I omitted the wine and cream and served this over vanilla yogurt for the kids and they loved it. I did add more wine to the grown up version to cut the sweetness and give a more pronounced wine flavor. I think the quality of the wine would make a difference here, not that you should break the bank on a bottle, but I wouldn't use a cooking wine. Instead of a flower I swirled in a small amount of cream for garnish. It is an absolutely beautiful pink color and would work for either a first course or a dessert.

jtoepfert100
08-02-2005, 04:15 PM
I would make some pastry cream and then make a tart with some fresh fruit on top :)

I don't know how to make pastry cream. :o

MISSINDI - breakfast dishes don't really work for DH because he doesn't go into work until noon on most days. That french toast does look good, though. And I'll have you know, the reason the heavy cream is open is because I made a recipe on Sunday (Mushroom Duxelles Bruschetta-CL) that calls for a tablespoon and a half of heavy cream and I even ate some. ;)

Rosieone - thanks for the soup recipe - unfortunately, we're not soup people but I do have to add that Cangoss sends the BEST swap packages, doesn't she? :)

greysangel
08-02-2005, 05:38 PM
http://www.pastrychef.com/htmlpages/recipes/pastry_cream.html

Here's a link for pastry cream..it's scaled down from the one I have. You can sub the cream for some of the milk called for in the recipe. You can then bake a pie shell if you dont have time to make one from scratch, cool and fill with pastry cream, top with fruit of your choice :) It looks so impressive and it's really not that difficult.

jtoepfert100
08-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Greysangel - thanks for that link - didn't see it until today. I'll have to try it someday when I'm feeling brave.

I ended up making these Coconut Cream Muffins because I didn't have any bananas and I didn't have enough cream for the poundcake. I got 18 out of the recipe and used cupcake liners because this really is much more of a cupcake than a muffin. I frosted them with canned frosting :o because it was way too late to make my own. DH gave these an emphatic thumbs up! He also gets major points for going out to the store at 9:00 p.m. to get the Coconut Cream Frosting for me no questions asked!

Coconut Cream Muffins

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2/3 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
Heat oven to 350*F (175*C). Grease and flour a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners.
Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
In another small bowl, combine cream with the extracts; set aside.
Beat butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed for 1 minute. Gradually add sugar and beat until fluffy. Reduce mixer speed to medium. Beat in eggs until well blended. On low speed, alternately beat in flour and cream mixtures, beginning and ending with the flour, just until mixed (do not over mix!). Stir in coconut.
Fill prepared muffin tins three-fourths full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan on wire rack.
Makes 1 dozen muffins.
www.cooksrecipes.com