PDA

View Full Version : Green Cherry Tomatoes

muriel3002
08-02-2005, 02:22 PM
I attacked my overgrown cherry tomato jungle. I ended up taking a lot of branches off - some with green tomatoes on them. I saved the green tomatoes. I don't know if they will ripen up at all, but rather than have about 2 quarts of green tomatoes sitting around, is there anything I can do with them?

I really don't want to make green tomato relish, but I will if I have to.

Fried green tomatoes? These are cherry sized.... maybe if I just coarsely chopped them and mixed them with the cornmeal....

I'm open to suggestions.... help!

Terrytx
08-02-2005, 03:26 PM
I have a recipe for fried green tomatoes that calls for them to be chopped, so I think if you just halve them you would be fine. Also I have pickled them.

muriel3002
08-03-2005, 07:19 AM
I have a recipe for fried green tomatoes that calls for them to be chopped, so I think if you just halve them you would be fine. Also I have pickled them.

Can you post those recipes?

Terrytx
08-03-2005, 10:53 AM
I can't find the fried green tomato recipe. It was from a long time ago, and as far as I remember, it was the standard drege in egg was, then in cornmeal and fry. Here is the pickled one-

Tiny Toms
2 quarts small green cherry tomatoes
2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
2 1/2 cups water
3 tablespoons salt
4 garlic cloves, flattened
4 teaspoons mustard seeds
4 fresh dill heads, trimmed
1 medium onion, sliced

Wash 4 pint jars in hot water; rinse. Keep hot until needed. Prepare lids as manufacturer directs. Wash tomatoes; lift from water. Remove stems; set aside. In a medium saucepan, combine vinegar, water and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover. Place 1 garlic clove in 1 hot jar. Add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds and 1 dill head. Tightly pack 1/4 of the tomatoes and 1/4 of onion slices in jar, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Add hot vinegar mixture to cover. Release trapped air. Wipe rims of jar with a clean damp cloth. Attach lid. Place in canner. Fill amd close remaining jars. Process in a boiling water bath 10 minutes for pints.

Canning by Sue and Bill Deeming

muriel3002
08-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Thank you so much! Going out to buy supplies.

I'm assuming this recipe is using pint jars, is that correct?

PAMMELA
08-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Wash 4 pint jars in hot water; rinse.

Yep! :D :D

karen w
08-03-2005, 06:33 PM
Thanks for that recipe, Terry. Every summer I end up throwing out so many unripened cherry tomatoes. Now I have a use for them. And I've been threatening to learn how to can for a long time, so this may be the year!

Karen

muriel3002
08-04-2005, 07:09 AM
Yep! :D :D

Duh... I guess I was reading too fast and missed it!