PDA

View Full Version : Being Environmentally Friendly...

MISSINDI
08-08-2005, 07:32 AM
I am trying to make a concerted effort to make small, subtle changes in our lifestyle to be more conscience of the environment and our impact on it (must be the gas-guilt from having an Expedition! ;)). I know even the smallest changes can make a huge impact long-term.

That said, I know changing our lightbulbs to recycled compacted ones will make a big difference (don't remember exact statistics), but I don't think I've ever seen them for sale anywhere ... anyone know anything about them? Or where I can find them?

And conversely, what do you do to be more environmentally friendly? Looking for ideas on things I might be able to incorporate...

mrswaz
08-08-2005, 07:42 AM
I don't know about recycled light bulbs- but we do use the "day-light" florescent bulbs, and those are very energy conscious. They cost about $10.00 a piece, but about 2 years ago we decided to make a switch- and we haven;t had to replace a light bulb yet. Energy friendly and nice on the pocketbook in the long run.

As far as other things- we don't use things like paper plates or paper napkins. Drives DH crazy- we do dishes every night, regardless of the meal. I would rather fill my sink with soapy water than fill the garbage can. I've also switched to using organic earth-friendly cleaning agents. I particularily like Target's Method, but I'll also use a vinegar mixture I ake at home now. (Thanks to a recent thread). We walk a lot instead of driving. We live in a small town and can get most anywhere by walking- so we do that whenever possible. Since I've been conscious of that, I fill my gas tank a lot less often. Those short trips really do add up.

It may not be too spectacular- but I always insist on paper bags at the grocery checkout.

I would also love to see some other ideas on being environmentally friendly. Especially lately. With the hot weather we have had frequent ozone cautions and warnings. That's a little scary, IMO, and anything I can do to help that...

merley
08-08-2005, 07:55 AM
To be enviornmently friendly I pack "trash free lunches" for the kids.I was using a ton of little plastic bags,which I replaced with small plastic containers that last a long time.
I do reuse the brown paper bags for grocery shopping. It's easy to keep a supply in the back of the car.
I recycle everything possible,and never just run the water in the sink. I know that these are little things, but I hope it helps.

Guilty.. I do drive a gas guzzler of a SUV

MISSINDI
08-08-2005, 09:11 AM
Erika - I've seen Target's line of cleaning stuff -- is it environmentally friendly? I didn't know that...

Sarah428
08-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Make note paper out of scrap computer paper (cut into 1/4)
Use canvas bags for grocery shopping
Reuse small plastic bags for trash bags, doggie bags when walking
Use lunch containers instead of baggies (already mentioned)
Combine errands to save on gas
Walk to run errands if possible (I walk DD to daycare every a.m.)
Compost!
Energy effiecient appliances, light bulbs, faucets, etc.
Use DH old white t-shirts as rags
Make my own cleaning supplies so I know what's going down the drain
The list goes on and on!

These, and all the others previously mentioned, are just little things but they do indeed add up!

And I don't drive a hyrbid but did purchase my last car based on safety and fuel efficiency.

linsleyd
08-08-2005, 09:25 AM
Sarah, you mentioned you compost, do you have any information on that? When we finally get into our new home I would like to start doing that but I do not have much information on how to do it!
If you have any suggestions or anyone else does, I would appreciate it!

hlao23
08-08-2005, 09:27 AM
Erika - I've seen Target's line of cleaning stuff -- is it environmentally friendly? I didn't know that...

It's not the Target line. It's Method and it's sold by Target. I love, love, love their products: http://www.methodhome.com/products/starterkit.php

I do a lot of the things already mentioned. I'll try and think of others that haven't been mentioned.

Sarah428
08-08-2005, 09:36 AM
Sarah, you mentioned you compost, do you have any information on that? When we finally get into our new home I would like to start doing that but I do not have much information on how to do it!

I found lots of info (http://community.cookinglight.com/search.php?searchid=7292) on this forum. I also have a copy of Worms Eat My Garbage. You should also look into your county extension office, they usually have lots of info too.

We just moved in July so I've just started as well and so glad I did, can't wait to see the results.

merley
08-08-2005, 10:01 AM
FYI

Method sprays cleaners and laundry detergent is sold at Costco. It's about $8 for a 3 pack of the spray cleaners. I have also seen the hand soap there on occasion. Love all the method cleaners.

MISSINDI
08-08-2005, 10:04 AM
It's not the Target line. It's Method and it's sold by Target. I love, love, love their products: http://www.methodhome.com/products/starterkit.php

I do a lot of the things already mentioned. I'll try and think of others that haven't been mentioned.

Gotcha. I've seen the stuff, but always thought it was their line. I'll have to pick some up this week.

615bride
08-08-2005, 10:16 AM
I use cloth diapers on DS. I know some people question whether it's better for the environment but I believe it is, so I use them!

greysangel
08-08-2005, 10:16 AM

This is where I got mine: (I got the garden gourmet)
http://www.composters.com/main.shtml

They send you a little booklet that gives you what to put in and what not to put in. I think the rough rule is 2parts brown (dead leaves, shredded newspaper) to 1 part green (kitchen scraps, grass cuttings etc)

It really really cuts down on what is going into the trash...plus it's great for your garden!

cangoss
08-08-2005, 12:05 PM
I'm another fan of Method cleaners. And my mom is friends with the mother of one of the founders of the company! The founders are around my age (early 30s) and have built up quite a business. I really like the pink grapefruit all-purpose cleaner for the kitchen counters.

I intend to do more environmentally conscious things than I actually end up doing but - I don't take a bag when I buy just a couple of things; we reuse paper and plastic grocery bags for whatever we can; we recycle as much as we can and take stuff to the kiwanis resale if it might be useful to *someone* instead of just pitching it.