PDA

View Full Version : Need Mexican-type Side Dish

MusicMom
08-24-2005, 12:26 PM
We're invited to a get-together Friday evening and the hosts are putting together a Mexican-themed dinner for three families. So far they have:

Spiced meats
Hard taco shells
Soft tortillas
Cheese
Salsa
Refried beans
Chocolate cake
Cheese cake

I need to fill in a couple of side dishes somewhere. The host family is low-carb, so I'm not sure rice would go over well, although some of us would enjoy it. DH mentioned CL's Black Bean Taco Salad with Lime Vinaigrette, but we make that quite a bit and it has the beans, if that matters.

Maybe a fruit dish? Drinks? Any other ideas?

krhm
08-24-2005, 12:30 PM
Well, for drinks definitely margaritas! Or sangria. Non-alcoholic sangria would be good too. I'm thinking you're short on veggies, so maybe a tossed salad with a cumin-lime vinaigrette, or even guacamole with veggies for dipping.

Kathy B
08-24-2005, 12:38 PM
What about some guacamole? The low-carb types could just put it on their taco salad, the rest can eat it with chips or on their tacos.

Oops! I see krhm already mentioned that at the end of her post. Well, I second the guacamole! :D (We just had it for supper last night with our soft chicken tacos. Yum!)

Hoodone
08-24-2005, 12:58 PM
I was going to say guacamole, too. With three votes, I think that wins. Otherwise, you could do that Mexican layered dip. It contains guacamole and is always popular at parties, even if it is more of an appetizer than a side. I think the CL bean dish you mentioned would be good as well.

Goldie
08-24-2005, 02:12 PM
I've made a Mexican coleslaw before that was good - the recipe did have a lot of tomatoes, and not sure how that works out with the low-carb set. I think it was mainly cabbage and diced tomatoes with a cumin-type vinaigrette. I don't have it handy here but could dig it up later if it sounds good.

MusicMom
08-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Ok, you convinced me- one of my dishes will be quacamole. :D I love the stuff!!

Goldie- I'd also like to see the Mexican cole slaw recipe. That might be the "different" type of side I had in mind, especially with the cumin vinaigrette.

Thanks!

Goldie
08-24-2005, 07:15 PM
Here is the slaw recipe - let me know if you like it. I also included a Confetti Cactus Salad that I like a lot (gosh that reminds me - better make it before summer's over!!)

Have fun at your party!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Tomato Slaw Mexicano

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Salads

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 1/2 pounds fresh tomatoes -- diced and drained
1 1/2 pounds green cabbage -- sliced thinly
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Combine 1st 7 ingredients; beat in oil. Gently toss with remaining ingredients. Marinate at room temperature for 1 hour or several hours in the refrigerator.

Cuisine:
"Mexican"
Source:
"Seattle Times"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 156 Calories; 10g Fat (52.7% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 573mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Confetti Cactus Salad

Recipe By :Velda de la Garza
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Salads

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Salad:
1 cup nopalitos -- about 3 chopped nopales (cactus paddles)
(NOTE: I just used a jar of nopalitos - no work!!!)
1 cup red onion -- chopped
1 cup fresh corn kernels -- about 2 ears
1/4 cup fresh cilantro -- finely chopped
1 15-ounce can black beans -- rinsed and drained
Vinaigrette:
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon salt

Cactus trimming: Cut off the spines with a vegetable peeler or knife, and remove the green nubs with a scrubbing pad or cloth. (NOTE: I just used a jar of nopalitos and skipped these first 3 steps.)

Trim away any bruised or dried-out parts.

To prepare salad, cook nopalitos in boiling water 10 minutes. Drain. Place nopalitos in a medium bowl; cool. Add onion, corn, cilantro, and beans; toss gently.

To prepare vinaigrette, combine vinegar and remaining ingredients in a jar; cover tightly, and shake vigorously. Pour vinaigrette over salad; toss gently to coat. cover and chill.

Serving size: 1 cup.

Calories 163 (12% from fat); fat 2.2g (sat .4g, mono .5g, poly 1g); protein 8g; carb 31g; fiber 5.6g; chol 0mg; iron 2.1mg; sodium 293mg; calc 94mg

Source:
"Cooking Light, April 2001, page 190"
S(Formatted by):
"sherrysisc2@yahoo.com on July 17, 2001"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 176 Calories; 2g Fat (11.8% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 1583mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Serving Ideas : You can also serve this cool, refreshing salad as a chunky salsa with baked tortilla chips.

slknight
08-24-2005, 08:45 PM
CL's roasted corn, black bean, and mango salad is delicious.