PDA

View Full Version : ? about recipe are garbanzo beans supposed to be cooked?

newcook
08-24-2005, 03:52 PM
I had planned on making this recipe, but now when I look at it I'm not sure if the garbanzo beans go into the recipe pre-cooked, or do they go in raw.

Any advice is welcome.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Spanish Stew

Recipe By :Barb Bloomfield
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 cloves garlic -- minced
1 onion -- thinly sliced
2 cups mushrooms -- sliced
1 cup cabbage -- thinly sliced
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 cups stewed tomatoes
1 bay leaf
2 carrots -- thinly sliced
1 potato -- diced into bite-sized pieces
2 cups garbanzo beans
2 tablespoons fresh parsley -- minced
1 tablespoon fresh mint -- chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

In a soup pot, sauté the garlic, onion, mushrooms, and cabbage in the olive oil until the cabbage and mushrooms are soft.

Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, carrots, and potato to the sautéed vegetables. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.

Add the beans, parsley, mint, oregano, salt, and black pepper to the stew and simmer for 10 minutes.

Source:
"Fabulous Beans"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Per serving: Calories: 193; Protein: 6 gm, Fat: 2 gm; Carbohydrates: 36 gm

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Kristal
08-24-2005, 03:56 PM
I imagine they are supposed to be cooked, as 10 minutes would not be enough time to cook dried beans. Sounds like a good recipe! :)

badunnin
08-24-2005, 03:57 PM
Absolutely cooked - garbanzos take FOREVER to cook.

blazedog
08-24-2005, 04:01 PM
Recipe looks great by the way. :)

My experience is that recipes using dried beans generally specify it because dried beans require either a pre-soak or a much longer cooking time than most of the other ingredients. Maybe a bean cookbook doesn't use this type of default though.

PAMMELA
08-24-2005, 04:11 PM
If I saw that recipe I would add in canned garbanzo beans raw. :confused:

Angelina
08-24-2005, 04:14 PM
If I saw that recipe I would add in canned garbanzo beans raw. :confused:

As far as I know, canned garbanzos are cooked. If they were really raw, they would be little rocks...

Angela

blazedog
08-24-2005, 04:16 PM
All canned beans are cooked although some of them are natural while others -- i.e. baked beans have other ingredients.

PAMMELA
08-24-2005, 04:39 PM
That's what I meant. Obviously they are cooked.

newcook
08-24-2005, 05:00 PM
Thanks everyone. Cooked is what I suspected too. I wonder why the recipe doesn't specify. Maybe if I read the first chapters I'll find out but I don't have time to do that before starting preparation.

Kathy B
08-24-2005, 06:27 PM
I'm glad you posted the recipe....it does look good. Hopefully I will remember to pull it out as the cool weather sets in! :)

tbb113
08-24-2005, 08:35 PM
I wonder why the recipe doesn't specify. Maybe if I read the first chapters I'll find out but I don't have time to do that before starting preparation.

Probably since most people only have seen garbanzo beans in a can. Truthfully, while I realize they must exist in another form, I don't think I've ever seen them that way :D I'm more surprised that they don't mention if they should be rinsed or not.

newcook
08-25-2005, 06:22 PM
I cooked the garbanzo beans in the pressure cooker last night, and made the stew for supper tonight. This is not the regular slow cooked stew like we are used to, this one still retains a sort of fresh vegetable thing, everything was still a little crisp in a way. I got nice fresh produce from the farmers market so everything looked so beautiful with nice colors. I used tiny red skinned potatoes instead of a regular potato and red cabbage. The only change I made was to use less salt 1/2 teaspoon, only because I have not been used to using much salt, so when I use 1 teaspoon in this size recipe I end up being deathly thirsty all night. This is one of those recipes that are so enjoyable because they just taste so healthy.