PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom Soup: Freeze it or 'fridge it?

Canice
08-28-2005, 10:05 PM
I made my favorite mushroom soup tonight, but cannot serve it until dinner Wednesday. Would you freeze and defrost it, or just stow it in the 'fridge 'til Wednesday? (I haven't added the cream yet.)

Bresse Mushroom Soup

Recipe By : Deborah Madison
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 onion -- sliced
1 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic -- coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons parsley -- chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine -- or dry sherry
1 pound mushrooms -- coarsely chopped
6 cups water -- or mushroom broth (preferred)
2 slices bread -- any kind
1/2 cup half and half
salt and pepper -- to taste
chives, parsley or tarragon, chopped -- for garnish

Heat the butter in a soup pot until if toams; then add the onion and salt. Cook on medium-high heat for 3 minutes, to soften onion, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and parsley and cook 2 minutes more. Pour in the wine, raise heat, and reduce it for 3 minutes.

Add the mushrooms and stew them with the onion over medium-low heat for 6 to 8 minutes, giving them a stir partway through the cooking. Pour in the stock or water, and bring to a boil. Lower heat, add the bread, and simmer for 20 minutes.

Let the soup cool slightly; then puree it in a blender, either briefly for a chunkier soup, or longer for a smooth soup. Heat the soup again and add the cream. Season to taste. Serve sprinkled with fresh herbs. This soup is also nice with a spoonful of creme fraiche in each bowl.

Source:
"The Greens Cookbook"

KCSoccer
08-29-2005, 08:57 AM
Canice,

I've frozen this soup before, with very little noticable difference. But I think it would be fine in the fridge till Wednesday.

Aninha
12-07-2007, 11:12 AM
I just wanted to bring this thread back because I made this soup yesterday and I really enjoyed!! (this coming from a person that is a not a fan of mushroom soup).
DS had creamy mushroom soup once in a restaurant and asked me to make some for him. I found this recipe and it was by far the best mushroom soup I have had! (even better than the one in the restaurant in my opinion). We all liked it a lot, and it is even good without the half-half (actually DS could not wait and tried it before I added the half-half, and afterwards he said he liked it better without the addition)
Anyways, thanks for posting this recipe, it is definitely going to be repeated many times during the winter in our house!!
Ana

Canice
12-07-2007, 07:18 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed it, Ana! I've made it many, many times, and the mushroom broth itself is a revelation; I use it in place of beef stock for vegetarian soups. :)

Aninha
12-08-2007, 06:32 AM
Hi Canice!
I did not find mushroom stock, so I used half beef broth and half vegetable broth (what I had on hand!), and it was still delicious this way!
Thanks again, I had two bowls yesterday for lunch and can't seem to get enough of it!!
Oh, and I also left some of the sliced mushrooms in the soup (separated a little before blending and then added it back) as DS asked for that, and I have to say that it is also really good this way! (I like the smooth texture with the little pieces of mushroom in it!)
Ana