PDA

View Full Version : Help with canning marinara!

recipe-aholic
08-31-2005, 02:38 PM
Somewhere on these threads I've come across info on canning marinara sauce. I can't find this information now. Could someone share an excellent recipe for canning, and/or direct me to the appropriate thread. TIA! (I am trying to use up all of my garden tomatoes)

badunnin
08-31-2005, 03:08 PM
Good Gordie I hate the search function today.

Anyways, a favourite on the board is Lindrusso's Marinara, and I successfully can it all the time. It starts with canned tomatoes, but I use fresh (the garden thing here as well!) I process 45 minutes for pints and I can't remember how long for quarts (the same time as for regular tomatoes).

Marinara (haven't named it yet beyond "My Marinara" )

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar
3-4 medium onions, chopped
1/2 cup cup dry red wine
6 cloves garlic, crushed with the blade of a knife
3 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes (or 2 28-ounce cans crushed and 2 14-ounce cans diced if you want a bit more chunkiness)
2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
2 teaspoons oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
pinch of crushed red pepper or more to taste
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

Heat oil in a Dutch Oven over medium heat. Add chopped onions and 1 tablespoon sugar. Sauté onions for 30-45 minutes, or until sweet and caramelized. As the pan dries while onions are cooking, add red wine as needed. Once onions are done, continue to add the rest of the ingredients. Stir until well-combined. Simmer over low heat for 4-6 hours (you can simmer for less, but I would simmer for at least 1-2 hours). Stir often to keep the sauce from burning or getting overcooked. Makes about 9 cups of sauce.

recipe-aholic
08-31-2005, 05:32 PM
How long did your sauce sit in the jars once it was canned? Will it last a year without going bad? I do love that marinara recipe!

VictoriaL
08-31-2005, 08:41 PM
How long did your sauce sit in the jars once it was canned?
Do you mean how long should you let the sauce sit in the jars, undisturbed, after they were processed? If so, I let mine sit for 24 hours to seal and cool completely, just to be safe. At least 12 hours is recommended.

Will it last a year without going bad? I do love that marinara recipe!
Canned sauce will definitely last a year, or more, if canned properly and the seal is still "sealed".

Yesterday and today, I made and canned spaghetti sauce (using my Mom's recipe) from 100 pounds of tomatoes. I thereby feel qualified to answer your questions! ;)