PDA

View Full Version : healthy breakfast

mrjk
09-21-2005, 10:51 AM
I could use some ideas for healthy quick breakfast. We don't like oatmeal, and it seems that other than smoothies, good old cold cereal is actually more nutritious that any of the other ideas/recipes I have. We need new ideas!! THanks.

bobmark226
09-21-2005, 11:01 AM
Given the availability of Thomas' various whole grain English muffins, especially the excellent whole wheat (which Arnold is now making too), I've been doing a lot of breakfast sandwich variations. I use packaged sliced soy cheese and nuke either turkey ham or a couple slices of lower fat bacon or any of the veggie burgers (Boca's black bean are especially good) while the muffins are toasted. They're hot, filling, and the possibilities are endless. If I'm in a rush, I even wrap them in foil and reheat when I get to the office.

Bob

MrsA05
09-21-2005, 11:05 AM
We really like these- they last pretty well and stick with you for a few hours.

Pumpkin Cranberry Breakfast Cookies
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cups rolled oats
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
6 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
6 tablespoons canned pumpkin, make sure it is thick like canned)
2 egg whites
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place all ingredients in bowl, stir together until combined.
3. Roll the cookies into golf ball sized balls with cooking oil sprayed hands.
4. Place on cookie sheet (s) about 2 inches apart, giving them room to spread slightly.
5. Spray tops with cooking oil, flip over with a cooking oil sprayed spatula, these are precautions so your cookies won't stick to the pan. (I never do this but I do press them down to flatten them out)
6. Bake about 8 minutes for moist cookies and 10-12 for dry cookies.
7. Store in tupperware between layers of waxed papper.

acginkc
09-21-2005, 11:12 AM
I am with Bob on the breakfast sandwiches. I will also add some eggs (often making scambled with egg beaters). I will mix the cheese and meat in with them then throw them on toast or english muffin and it is great.

I also do vanilla yogurt with Grapenuts and crushed pineapple (I use canned and drain it) quite often. Don't get the protein in as easily, but its super easy and so quick. Also it is very refreshing first thing in the morning.

mrjk
09-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Pumpkin cookies sound really tasty, but a lot of sugar. Think I could cut it in half?

bobmark226
09-21-2005, 11:18 AM
Pumpkin cookies sound really tasty, but a lot of sugar.

Not to mention virtually no protein to charge your engine.

If you prefer baked goods, you might search the many muffin threads here for healthy options.

Bob

NewMrsG
09-21-2005, 11:18 AM
My breakfast - every day but the weekends:

I take nonfat, plain yogurt and drain it (I have a little yogurt drainer specifically for this) overnight. It gets nice and thick and wonderful - very much like Greek yogurt. Then I mix in some honey - about 2 tsps and eat it with a sliced banana (or other fruit), and some homemade granola (which contains nuts, to give me some protein). I use Kathleen Daelaman's recipe (or however you spell her name). A batch of that lasts me about a month.

It keeps me very full until lunchtime - a good thing for me!

swquilts
09-21-2005, 11:29 AM
I do a breakfast sandwich also. I nuke some egg whites in a round Tupperware container. To that I add a 2% cheese slice and sometimes a piece of Canadian Bacon or Morningstar Farms "sausage" patty and eat on the Sara Lee Delightful whole grain bread.

Sometimes I'll buy the 1/2 cup containers of 2% cottage cheese and the individual pineapple chunk cups.

Boring, but filling......

JenniferDV
09-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Eggo makes whole wheat waffles that are good. Sometimes they're hard to find. I do those with peanut butter, just a light scraping of it, though. Sometimes I even sandwich the 2 waffles together if I have to eat on the run. Add a banana or other fruit and I think you're doing pretty well.

rosie_one
09-21-2005, 11:42 AM
I also do the yogurt, granola, fruit thing. Though I find it more satisfying and that it sticks with me better if I use all natural whole milk yogurt in vanilla. The fat/calorie differential is very small if you keep the portions reasonable. I do use a very small dish for this as it can get to be a lot of calories quickly. A little goes a long way. 1/2 cup granola, 1/4 cup yogurt and sliced fruit.

Here's the granola recipe I use. I use less sugar, coconut oil instead of vegetable, add flax seeds and vary the fruits and nuts, from Bon Appetit, March of 2002.

Vanilla Scented Granola

vegetable cooking spray
4 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup packed golden brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Position rack to middle of oven and preheat to 300*.
2. Lightly spray large baking sheet with nonstick spray.
3. Mix next 5 ingredients in large bowl.
4. combine oil, honey and sugar in small saucepan; bring to simmer over medium heat.
5. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
6. Pour hot liquid over oat mixture; stir well.
7. Using hands, toss mixture until thoroughly mixed.
8. Spread granola on prepared baking sheet.
9. Bake until golden brown, stirring occasionaly, about 30 minutes.
10. Transfer sheet to rack; cool granola completely.
(Can be made two weeks ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.) Makes about 8 cups. 45 minutes 15 mins prep

If you're not up for making your own (like I am in the summer, no baking at my house) Natural Ovens and Bread Shop both make a pretty good substitute.

MrsA05
09-21-2005, 11:51 AM
Not to mention virtually no protein to charge your engine.

If you prefer baked goods, you might search the many muffin threads here for healthy options.

Bob

I always cut the sugar in 1/2 when I make these, and I usually will have one of these with some cottage cheese and yogurt. DH will just eat a few of these but I have to have some protein! Guess I should've said that in the first place! :)

MrsA05
09-21-2005, 11:53 AM
My breakfast - every day but the weekends:

I take nonfat, plain yogurt and drain it (I have a little yogurt drainer specifically for this) overnight. It gets nice and thick and wonderful -

I've never had drained yogurt- what is that like? Is there another good way to do it if you dont have the little drainer? What about paper towels over a colander or strainer?

susan_foster
09-21-2005, 12:42 PM
I've never had drained yogurt- what is that like? Is there another good way to do it if you dont have the little drainer? What about paper towels over a colander or strainer?

Yogurt cheese is made by draining through a coffee-filter or cheesecloth lined strainer. Supposed to be good. Although this recipe - Muffins (Don't Throw Away That Whey...) (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/getrecipe.php/id/R822) says that most of the calcium in yogurt is found in the whey, which is what is being drained off. That's why I always re-mix it in plain yogurt when it separates.

Susan

heavy hedonist
09-21-2005, 01:24 PM
I make yogurt cheese all the time-- but I didn't know about the whey carrying away the vitamins-- good to know, I'll have to save it to throw into bread.
But the cheese can be softer or firmer depending on how long you drain it--
You can drain it for a few hours over a bowl on the counter, or overnight in the frudge, which is how I usually do it. I use it often in place of sour cream for spreads & dips-- it's a little tangy and tart and fresh-tasting, and takes up any flavorings you add very well. It's really great stuff; once you get into the habit of having it on hand, you use it in so many dishes, in place of sour cream, cream cheese, even goat cheese. And of course it mixes well with any of these.

memartha
09-21-2005, 03:40 PM
I'm another one who has to have protein in the morning.

My favorite breakfasts are:

- peanut butter or soy butter on a toasted whole wheat english muffin, sometimes drizzed with honey
- bowl of cereal with high-protein granola and blueberries sprinkled on top
- sliced hard boiled or fried egg on buttered toast

I have been known to eat two of the above in one morning :o

Xtina_in_WI
09-21-2005, 08:36 PM
My new stand-by's are baked oatmeal (I tinkered w/ CL's recipe) or granola with f/f cherry vanilla yogurt and a few slivered almonds. I just discovered the baked oatmeal idea (seem to be the last one to catch on to these things... :rolleyes: ) and absolutely love it. I make a batch every Sunday night, and DBF and I eat on it all week. Sometimes I'll have a piece of fruit as a mid-morning snack, but it usually keeps me full until lunch.

The breakfast sandwich is a great idea - I might have to put that in the rotation as well :)

Jewel
09-21-2005, 08:45 PM
I'm your basic protein girl! :)

I'm a huge fan of lowfat cottage cheese mixed with fruit in the mornings. I love cottage cheese and pineapple tidbits the best, but I'll mix in peaches, blueberries, raspberries, just about anything. It's not as sweet as yogurt, and it has so much more calcium and protein. It's portable, and can easily be eaten at my desk in the mornings.

So can a bowl of Kashi GoLean Crunch cereal! :) I eat it dry, no milk. It's just a great protein source and it's so good that it feels like I'm cheating when I'm not. :p I almost always eat an ounce of cheese with my cereal, usually the BabyBel cheese rounds.

On weekends I eat two MorningStar Farms Soy Sausage patties with a BabyBel cheese. If I'm feeling especially perky that morning, I dip my sausage into Hot Wing Sauce. :p

waltnj
09-22-2005, 05:51 AM
I usually do cereal in the am too, but when I want a change I pour 1/2 C Egg Beaters into a measuring cup and crumble in feta cheese & whatever veggies or meat I have around (or just cheese). Put it in the microwave and stir ever 30 sec (I think I cover it loosely too). Let it stand for a few more seconds (while I pour coffee or get the rest of breakfast) and it is done & yummy. I love this with salsa. I love the salty feta with eggs.
There is no pan to clean (just the measuring cup) and I have a hot yummy breakfast in 2 minutes.
Enjoy
waltnj

NewMrsG
09-22-2005, 06:43 AM
Others answered the questions about drained yogurt before I could, but I'd just add that a coffee filter works just as well. I buy the big containers of yogurt and use the empty containers to drain the whey into - the drainer I have fits right on top of it - I bought it after I started doing so much draining and it caught my eye wherever it was that I bought it a few years ago.

I'm not a big fan of regular yogurt - don't like the texture much, and the sweetened versions are way too sweet for me. So this works great. I try to start draining 24 hours before I need it - so I'll put my morning's yogurt into the tupperware to take to work, and immediately fill up my drainer with the next batch. Sometimes I forget and don't fill it up until the night before - so it has about 12 hours or so to drain. It's still good but I don't like it as much as the 24 hour version.

And it is a great stand-in for sour cream! I love it!