PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with Spray Tans??

Jewel
09-21-2005, 06:55 PM
My 25th high school reunion is coming up in a few weeks and I am wearing a silk skirt with strappy high heeled sandals, and no nylons. I'll need to tan my entire body, and for the first time I'm thinking of getting a 'spray on' tan as opposed to the self-applied lotion self tanner.

Problem is the reunion is in California on a Saturday and I'm leaving Seattle on Friday morning. I know they're supposed to last 6 or 7 days, but the latest I'd be able to make my appointment is Thursday afternoon! :eek: I'm sure it'll still be 'tan' two days later, but I'm wondering about the technical stuff. Like...can I shower and shave my legs after that tan is done? Hair grows on my legs at a rapid rate, and I'm sure from Thursday to Saturday I'll have a healthy stubble growing in. :o Will I be sticky? Blotchy? Do I need more than one application??

And how the heck do you NOT get your toenails, fingernails, and all those other areas tanned with that spray stuff at the same time? Forgive the idiot questions, but I've never done this before! I just don't want to chance splotchy feet and elbows on this very important night. :D

Blissful_in_TX
09-21-2005, 07:50 PM
Are you talking about the booths like Mystic Tan or the airbrush tan where they spray it on you? B/c I donít know anything about airbrushing, but Mystic Tans last about 5 days. You can still shave, but the more you shave, the more the tan comes off.

If youíre worried about it, I would do a test run first. For people like myself (with dry and flaky skin), spray tanning can be very uneven and patchy. After a day or two mine was coming off in splotches, and it looked like I had a skin disease! And definitely exfoliate well beforehand. (Oh, and don't wear white b/c a little color may sweat off on your clothes :eek: )

oceanjasper
09-21-2005, 08:00 PM
I tried the Mystic Tan before and it lasted quite awhile on me, but I am pretty fair. I did exfoliate my entire body beforehand to make sure it went on evenly.

They have lotion that you put on your hands and finger nails and little booties you put on your feet to cover your toes and soles, so that they don't absorb colour. I did find that I didn't do the bootie quite right and there was a visible line on my foot. It faded shortly after, so it wasn't that noticeable. I woudn't be able to do it twice or it would be too dark, but you would have to see what you thought after your first session. I actually think there were two levels of colour to choose from.

It dried completely after I came out, but I did use a towel to be sure. I wore my normal clothes and they didn't stain (although they weren't white) and I didn't feel sticky. As for shaving, I shaved the next day and it was fine.

I agree that you should try it out first before you go, because you don't want to be feeling all self conscious about how you look instead of enjoying the wedding. :)

Jewel
09-21-2005, 09:36 PM
Are you talking about the booths like Mystic Tan or the airbrush tan where they spray it on you?

I honestly wasn't sure which one... :o I did a bit of research in my area and found quite a few Mystic Tan salons, one only a few miles from my house! I like the idea of the private booth as opposed to having the stretchmarks spritzed by a size 2 technician, but that's me. :p

I have a scrubbie that I use in the shower with my shower gel, so I'm assuming that's what I'd use all over my entire body to exfoliate? I've actually never exfoliated anything but my face before!! I read all the FAQ's on the Mystic Tan website, and shaving was never addressed. :confused: I'll ask a technician when I get there. And you're right, I should definitely make a test run. I'll call this week and see if I can get in this weekend for the first one, and if it goes well I'll make an appointment for the night before we leave.

Thanks for the advice you two...I feel funny talking about something as trivial as tanning when there's so much else going on in our world right now, but maybe it's just keeping my mind occupied while I worry about the ones I love. :(

Robyn1007
09-21-2005, 09:47 PM
I used to work at a tanning salon and can give a couple of additional tips. You don't want to shower for 4-8 hours following but then can shower and shave. Don't moisturize immediately before going in, it will hinder the absorbtion of the product. Not all places provide booties, we didn't, just make sure to dry off evenly. If you need to blend some blotches or lighten areas between fingers if you get it there just use a cotton ball with a bit of nail polish remover. Be sure to put the hair cap thing behind your hairline and ears otherwise you'll get a funny line.

Good luck! Robyn

Veronica
09-22-2005, 02:41 AM
I've gone to Hollywood Tans, which has a spray booth that's a little different from Mystic Tan. I haven't tried Mystic Tan yet but would like to just to see which one I like best.

I agree with everyone who suggested you schedule a visit before your final application to see how it works for you. With the Hollywood Tan, you have to rub the stuff all over your body after it's sprayed on. It takes a bit of gymnastics to figure out how best to rub the tanning spray on your back and to make sure you cover every inch. I had problems with leaving patches on my arms.

They provide lotion to use on your fingernails, toenails, elbows and knees so that the tanning spray won't collect in these areas. They also provide handi-wipes to use on your hands and feet afterward. Just be careful to rub the cloth between the palms of your hands and not on top. That way you'll retain the tan on the tops of your hands better. (But you'll definitely want to clean around your nails and on the bottoms of your feet.)

You really have to exfoliate your skin well beforehand. I shaved and scrubbed with an inexpensive exfoliant (Swiss Formula?) from Wal-Mart. And, as Robyn said, don't put on any lotion before you go.

I wore loose-fitting clothing and was told by the receptionist not to sweat for the rest of the day. The tan seems to last longer that way. Some of the tanning spray bled onto the waistband of my shorts, but it washed out and I didn't have any issues elsewhere on my clothing.

My tan lasts for about a week, fading as the week wears on. I actually like it best a day or two after the spray-down, so I think your timing should work fine with your reunion. Let us know how the test run went. Good luck!

manetta
09-22-2005, 09:08 AM
Definitely, definitely do a trial run before your reunion! My (size 2) sister does airbursh tanning and insisted on spraying me for fun. Big mistake. I did everything she told me to do: exfoliated, no deodorant, no lotion, no showering afterwards, etc. I hated the way that stuff felt. Sticky and dirty. NOT the way you want to feel for your reunion. Did I mention that I also looked like I needed a liver transplant? :rolleyes:

Grace
09-22-2005, 09:50 AM
I've done Mystic Tan several times and I love it. I only do it for vacations and special occasions though because it's expensive. But it's so fast - in and out in less than 10 minutes, and it looks really great. No wierd lines or streaking. I would absolutely recommend doing it.

Jewel
09-22-2005, 06:04 PM
I've done Mystic Tan several times and I love it. I only do it for vacations and special occasions though because it's expensive. But it's so fast - in and out in less than 10 minutes, and it looks really great. No wierd lines or streaking. I would absolutely recommend doing it.

Thanks Grace! I haven't had a chance to call yet...how much per session on average? :)

Grace
09-22-2005, 06:31 PM
I pay $30 here for one spray tan. Not something I want to afford weekly, but definitely worth it for special occasions and vacations.

The rest of the time (anytime I want to go bare legged like in a dress or skirt or shorts) I just use Bain de Soleil with Streakguarde in the tube and just do my legs.