PDA

View Full Version : Pork chops in the crockpot?

Tizzylish
09-29-2005, 08:55 AM
Question, I have boneless lean pork chops I want to throw in the crockpot tonight, I've only done pork roasts in the crock, how long would be ideal to cook them? I know alot of recipes call for 6-8 hours, like they do with boneless skinless chicken, I think that is way to long for chicken and I only do mine for about 4 - 4 1/2 hours, do you think 4 hours on low would be enough for 1 inch thick chops? Or do you think if I cook them the full 6 hours they would be tender and not stringy?

sneezles
09-29-2005, 09:06 AM
I think the thickness of the chops comes into play here and the fact that the meat is toatlly different than chicken. IMHO, I would cook about 3 1/2 - 4 hours on high or 6-8 on low for 1" thick boneless chops.

Goin' Coastal
09-29-2005, 09:08 AM
Why do you want to use the crockpot? You could easily grill them - shouldn't take more than 5 minutes a side. (Unless they are really thick - and then you could butterfly them to cook them quickly)

Chelle D
09-29-2005, 09:11 AM
I did four porkchops that were about 1/2" thick in the crockpot earlier this week. I topped pork chops (sprinkled with salt, pepper, and Thyme) with a sliced sweet onion, a few cloves of garlic, and covered them with 2 cans of diced tomatoes. I gave them 6 hours on low and they were very good. I think the liquid helped and they did fall apart, but did not seem too overdone. I served them over egg noodles and sprinkled feta on the top. It was a "use-what-I-had" dinner that turned out better than I thought it would.

sooty
09-29-2005, 09:53 AM
I like to put chops in the crock, topped with thin sliced med onion, a 1# bag of sauerkraut (rinsed & squeezed), a grated apple and thyme or caraway seed, 1/2c or so chicken broth (bouillon), low for 6 hours or so, over buttered egg noodles with parsley. Very tender. I like anything I can through in the crock before work, no browning, sauteeing before hand.

Tizzylish
09-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks everyone, I'll go with 6 hours on low. :)