PDA

View Full Version : Bananas-how ripe is too ripe for Banana Bread?

LaurenG
10-01-2005, 02:20 PM
I've read different thing on the "ripeness" of bananas when making banana bread...some use them when they are yellow, some say they should be almost black!? My question is that when I let them ripen too much they start to mold a bit on the outside of the skin...can you still use the banana inside? Or is that totally gross? :confused:

colleency
10-01-2005, 02:26 PM
I've never used moldy bananas. I think I throw them in the freezer before that point. Letting the bananas get sort of spotty brown allows them to develop sugars. If they're yellow with no brown, they have a sharper, raw taste, and they are very hard to mash.

zwieback
10-01-2005, 02:41 PM
I never use them if there is mold starting to grow on the outside, either. I was going to a couple of times but always noticed a strong alcohol type smell to them so, I didn't want to risk anything. I'm sure it wouldn't have hurt but, I would rather err on the side of caution. Plus, if I kept thinking about the mold, I wouldn't be able to eat the banana bread and that would waste more than just a few bananas. :rolleyes:

LaurenG
10-01-2005, 02:50 PM
That's so funny zwieback. Yea, I saw a bit of mold and I threw them away thinking about DD who is 3 and would want "nana bread" if I made it. I'd feel guilty the rest of the day if I used a banana with a tad bit on it. The sad part is that I probably would have fed it to DH and myself! Hee hee...

KAnn
10-01-2005, 04:04 PM
My grandmother's simple banana bread recipe is one of my signature recipes and I have been baking it for about 30 years....(I am 45)...and my experience is the darker and "mushier" the bananas, the better the banana bread! I made a batch for a trip to Santa Fe that was as overripe as I have ever tried and it was the best loaf I ever made! lol

I am letting a few get "bad" as we speak for my first try at a lowfat recipe I want to the try from the board.

Mine get almost black but I have never seen mold....

little_bopeep
10-01-2005, 06:38 PM
Ditto....I used some that were black, black, black--but no mold. The bread was fabulous.

stacy7272
10-01-2005, 08:06 PM
I'm going to guess that mold forms when there is a break in the peel. When they are that ripe the skin gets so thin. I've never had mold so I'm not really sure. My cue to toss bananas is when the flys start swarming.

heavy hedonist
10-02-2005, 08:02 AM
Throw them in the fridge the second you decide you'd rather bake with than eat them-- the peel will get black, but the 'nana will stay good for days-- I only stop using them when they drip!