PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take to steam...

Barb856
10-01-2005, 07:11 PM
brussel sprouts? I have never really given it any thought and now I have a pot of them on the stove and have no idea how long they take! Thanks for any advice!

Barb

oceanjasper
10-01-2005, 07:42 PM
I was looking it up online when I realized I never checked to see what time you posted. I think it might be too late...

Steaming
Sprouts can be steamed rapidly in a small amount of water. This will minimize the odors created when Brussels sprouts are cooked too long, and will also minimize nutrient losses. There are two ways that they can be steamed. Sprouts can be added to an inch of already-boiling water or can be placed in a covered vegetable steamer. After steaming for 12 minutes, uncover pot for 1015 seconds to disperse the strong-tasting sulfur compounds. Re-cover pot, and continue cooking sprouts for 510 minutes in boiling water or 612 minutes in a steamer. Check them periodically by poking them with a fork to test for doneness. Cook them until they are just tender.

So, how long did they take? :)

Barb856
10-02-2005, 10:25 AM
Your reply came in time however, I got a little carried away when some of the company arrived and therefore forgot to lift the lid for steam to escape but all in all I would say ten minutes and they were tender crisp, drizzled with some good olive oil and voila...everyone commented how good they were. Thanks for your assistance!

TigerDan
10-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Are we talking about fresh brussels sprouts or frozen?
Fresh brussels sprouts you should cut a small x in the bottom before steaming
I use a steamer basket in the microwave ..water not touching the brussell sprouts so that the steam cooks them not boiling in water so you won't lose vitamins or taste. About 4 to 5 minutes depending on your microwave. I would put it on 4 minutes and then check with a small fork for tenderness.
Dan

Tizzylish
10-02-2005, 11:39 AM
I know you've gotten your answers and already prepared them, but if you have them again, can I suggest roasting them, they are soooo much tastier that way. :)

My favorite:

* Exported from MasterCook *

ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH GARLIC AND PANCETTA
Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 lb Brussels sprouts -- trimmed and halved
(quartered if large)
2 oz pancetta -- visible fat
discarded and pancetta minced
1 garlic clove -- minced
1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 450F.
Toss together Brussels sprouts, pancetta, garlic, oil, and salt and pepper to taste in an 11- by 7-inch baking pan and spread in 1 layer.

Roast in upper third of oven, stirring once halfway through roasting, until sprouts are brown on edges and tender, about 25 minutes total. Stir in water, scraping up brown bits. Serve warm.

Makes 4 servings.
Gourmet January 2001

* Exported from MasterCook *

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
3 tablespoons good olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut off the ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Mix them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Transfer them to a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp outside and tender inside. Shake the pan from time to time to brown the Brussels sprouts evenly. Sprinkle with more kosher salt (I like these salty like French fries) and serve hot.

Description:
"Show: Barefoot Contessa Episode: Scary Dinner"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 266 Calories; 2g Fat (4.6% calories from fat); 21g Protein; 56g Carbohydrate; 24g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 1564mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 10 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat.