PDA

View Full Version : Help! Have a recipe with "pumpkin pie mix" in it, NOT canned pumpkin? Whoops!

LaurenG
10-13-2005, 05:43 PM
Does anyone have any recipes for a can of "pumpkin pie mix"? Not canned pumpkin, but the mix with xtra sugar in it? I accidently bought it and opened it when I was making choc. chip pumpkin bread last night and realized it was different. :rolleyes: I don't really want to make a pie, but wondered if there was a cookie, bar or other quick bread recipe. I hate for it to go to waste!

dorothyntototoo
10-13-2005, 05:45 PM
I'm not a big fan of crust, so I make pumpkin pie filling & bake in a casserole dish. You could call it pumpkin souffle!

Dorothy

stacy7272
10-13-2005, 06:35 PM
A restaurant near me serves Pumpkin Shakes around this time of year so I try to replicate them at home using the stuff. I mix ice cream, pumpkin pie mix, and milk in a blender. It is SO yummy!

swquilts
10-13-2005, 06:41 PM
I believe all you have to do is to add spices. (Bakers on the board please correct me if I'm wrong)

Here's the mix from www.foodsubs.com:

pumpkin pie spice To make your own: Combine 4 parts cinnamon + 2 parts ginger + 1 part allspice + 1 part nutmeg, all ground OR equal parts cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, mace, and cloves, all ground

Beth
10-14-2005, 05:17 PM
I think the Pumpkin Crunch Cake that I like so much uses the mix. It is a great snack cake or even a brunch cake. This is from the verybestbaking.com site, and it got mostly 5 star ratings -- one of the 4s cam from someone who didn't have the mix and used straight pumpkin (which changes the whole moisture content and everything). If you can change something that significant and still rate it 4 stars, well, it has to be good and forgiving. ;)

Pumpkin Crunch Cake

1 pkg. (18.25 oz.) yellow cake mix, divided
2 large eggs
1 2/3 cups LIBBY'S Easy Pumpkin Pie Mix
2 tsps. pumpkin pie spice
1/3 cup flaked coconut
1/4 cup chopped nuts
3 tbls. butter or margarine, softened

Directions:
PREHEAT oven to 350 F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan.

COMBINE 3 cups cake mix, eggs, pumpkin pie mix and pumpkin pie spice in large mixer bowl. Beat on low speed until moistened. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pan.

COMBINE remaining cake mix, coconut and nuts in small bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.

BAKE for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.