PDA

View Full Version : Is it WRONG to lick the pan???

beckms
10-29-2005, 08:05 PM
DF and I are having a disagreement...HE chastises me for licking the pan after a particularly scrumptious recipe has been served out of it witha yummylicious sauce still clinging to the ready-to-release Teflon, and I counter by saying that it's NO different from him licking the bowl, beaters, spatula, and spoon after I've made chocolate cake or cookies. He says it's different, that people are expected to lick the bowl clean of cookie batter.

Of course, I'm right.

So 'fess up: Do you lick the pan??? :p

ADM
10-29-2005, 08:16 PM
Why not? You are not asking him to!

zwieback
10-29-2005, 08:44 PM
Sure! If it's that good, I want every last little morsel. :D

JJeannette
10-30-2005, 06:13 AM
Aren't they both containers used for the combination of ingredients? Fudge is nade in a pan--would he forego licking the pan if it were used for that?

memartha
10-30-2005, 06:50 AM
I think there are two types of people: lickers and non-lickers. I am a non-licker... no spoons, beaters, bowls or anything. So if DF licks, he shouldn't criticize you.

lindrusso
10-30-2005, 07:02 AM
Well, if you were licking the pan at a guest's house, I might object, but it's your house, it's your pan, you did the cooking - I say that earns you the right to do whatever you want with the pan. If he doesn't like it - he can remove himself from the kitchen while you indulge yourself. ;)

And yes, your husband is definitely being hypocritical by saying it's okay to lick a batter bowl but not a pan. People don't lick batter bowls because it's expected, they lick them because it tastes good - which is why you're licking the pan. No difference.

Kathy B
10-30-2005, 07:23 AM
If you want a compromise (and maybe you don't, because it is more fun to be right ;) ) but if you want a compromise, how about using a piece of bread to wipe up the extra sauce/juice/whatever, and then eat THAT. If it is a sweet dish, a bit of cake on the end of a fork would work nicely. :)

Stephanie-Oh
10-30-2005, 08:15 AM
Kathy B you are such a diplomat :D !

IMHO food always tastes so much better from the pan but I sure would be careful to let those pans cool down before indulging :D :D :D Steph

dreamer
10-30-2005, 08:20 AM
How could it possibly be wrong? :confused:
Getting "the licks" is one of the great pleasures in life.
Ya can't do it when you're out- so ya gotta be able to do it at home!

I say, bon appetit, Beckms. :)

Terri_A
10-30-2005, 09:06 AM
I favor licking....and for the record, at least what you are licking out of the pan is COOKED!!! I'm always nervous about those raw eggs in cookie and cake batters....although I still let my daughter lick the spoons!

dlaboriel
10-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Just don't lick the steak knife :D

Beth
10-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Well, I'd probably use a spoon or spatula and not actually lick the pan, but as lindrusso said, as long as it's your pan at your house -- why not? Bowl, pan, plate -- does it really matter what the vessel is?

CoffeeQueen
11-01-2005, 10:56 PM
I use a spatula rather than sticking my head in the pan, but YEP, I am a licker!

Peggy
11-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Sure! If it's that good, I want every last little morsel. :D

DITTO! Another "licker" checking in!! ;)

Peggy