PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Cheddar Cheese?

wintersummer
10-31-2005, 07:20 AM
Can I freeze cheddar cheese? If I can freeze, does the texture change when thawed? For instance, when thawed should I use it for use as ingredient in cooked recipe OR is it OK just grated? Any other tips I should know?

marshcl
10-31-2005, 07:24 AM
I used to buy grated cheese at Costco, vaccuum seal, and freeze in small bags. I then thawed it for use on pizza. I don't think the texture changed too much, but I'm not sure I would have used it on something that wasn't cooked just because it didn't look as pretty as before it was frozen. That may have been more the vaccuum sealing than the freezing, though.

dixie
10-31-2005, 07:36 AM
Though its been over 20 years, I remember the caterer at my wedding telling my mom to freeze all the cheese that was leftover from the reception, and she did and brought it out slowly over the next months....as I recall it was perfect, and there were all types, cheddar, swiss, softer ones, etc.

wallycat
10-31-2005, 08:05 AM
I freeze all sorts of cheese...and yes, the texture changes.
If you are planning to use it in cooking, it will still melt beautifully and no one will no it was frozen.

SusanMac
10-31-2005, 08:24 AM
Yuck. Yuck. Yuck. Yuck. Sorry, I'm a dissenter & never see a reason to ever freeze cheese. Better to let it sit in your fridge for a few months, which is perfectly safe & fine.

wintersummer
10-31-2005, 09:00 AM
Susan - My cheese tends to mold within a week or so of buying....I don't think I can let it sit for months!

dorothyntototoo
10-31-2005, 09:06 AM
I buy bags of shredded cheese when they're on sale & freeze. If frozen more than about a month, ice crystals do form in the bag, but when thawed works just fine for all uses - cooked or not. I've never frozen blocks of cheese.

Dorothy

mmbedard
10-31-2005, 03:22 PM
I also freeze shredded cheese all the time. I just put them in 3/4 cup portions and into the freezer.

tea4one
10-31-2005, 03:30 PM
I froze grated cheese once, it came out in a big clump and was no longer shredded cheese but a mound of shredded cheese glued together. Never could get it apart so I just had to throw it out. I have cheese in my refrigerator right now that has been in there since before June. It has a best if sold by date of June of this year and it looks fine. Its still in its origianl wrapper also. I will have to try and use that stuff up and get it out of there.

RenaH
10-31-2005, 05:37 PM
It's been my experience that once cheddar cheese is frozen, then defrosted, it doesn't slice into neat slices. It crumbles. It's fine for grating, though, and the taste is just the same.

These days I use my FoodSaver. It extends the life in the refrigerator for several weeks.

Rena

kash
10-31-2005, 08:07 PM
I freeze shredded cheese and blocks. The taste has always been the same. It molds in the fridge within a week and I hate wasting food :eek: It is a great way of saving stuff and reusing it at a later date. I have eaten it as is and also used it for cooking!!!