PDA

View Full Version : How long can you keep frozen cranberries???

Connor's mom
11-02-2005, 05:20 PM
I found two bags in my freezer from last season, unopened, with no visible signs of any freezer burn. Can I still use these?

If so, I definitely plan to try Bob's Crockpot Cranberry Chicken.

Thanks!

MrsA05
11-02-2005, 05:24 PM
I used some a few weeks ago that were from last winter, frozen in a zip lock bag. Used them in muffins and they were great, no problem at all! We LOVE cranberry muffins!

Bawstinn
11-02-2005, 05:33 PM
I just sort through them real quick to see if there are any wrinkled/shriveled looking ones.

Reminds me ... I have some from last year too!

Meg O'C
11-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Reminds me ... I have some from last year too!

Me too! Mine look fine - I just need to find some time to make something with them. The Oct-Nov Eating Well has some great looking cranberry recipes. I think I need to take a mental health day from work to have some fun baking fall treats!

generic
11-02-2005, 07:02 PM
The information I have read says you can freeze them for up to 1 year, so get out that crockpot! :)

wintersummer
11-03-2005, 06:48 AM
I've been cleaning out my freezer during the last week or so - and also have frozen cranberries from last year! We must all buy just a few too many.

PamN
11-03-2005, 07:23 AM
I have this irrational fear that I'll suddenly need cranberries in the depth of summer (cranberry sorbet?? upside down muffins??), but they won't be available, so I always buy an extra bag or two when they are available during the holidays. I've been doing this for years and so far have never used up my frozen stash. :rolleyes: But that hasn't stopped me! LOL! On Thanksgiving, I cook what I had frozen from before -- and buy more bags to freeze.

wintersummer
11-03-2005, 07:57 AM
Pam - You've got it! That's why I have so many. I guess when I see cranberries in the market, I think "now's the time to stock up for the whole year" - and then, we never need them. Should we try to be strong this year and resist the call of cranberries? We will start first by attempting to skip a year without cranberries stashed in our freezers.

PamN
11-03-2005, 08:08 AM
Ah, but we MUST buy more cranberries. What if we get energetic and decide to do the Martha Stewart cranberry wreath for Christmas? (That's the one where individual cranberries are impaled on toothpicks stuck in a foam wreath base until the whole form is covered.) We couldn't use our pre-frozen berries for that! Hmmm . . . I think I might need to pick up a few more bags than usual -- the wreath takes a lot of berries, and they all have to be perfectly shaped and even in size. ;)

bobmark226
11-03-2005, 08:11 AM
Pam - You've got it! That's why I have so many. I guess when I see cranberries in the market, I think "now's the time to stock up for the whole year" - and then, we never need them. Should we try to be strong this year and resist the call of cranberries? We will start first by attempting to skip a year without cranberries stashed in our freezers.

Well, I've already got six bags...and there will be more...stashed in my new upright. :)

Bob

Hammster
11-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Me too! Mine look fine - I just need to find some time to make something with them. The Oct-Nov Eating Well has some great looking cranberry recipes. I think I need to take a mental health day from work to have some fun baking fall treats!

Also the Nov ish of Cooking Light has a Cranberry, Dried Cherry, Walnut Chutney that looks great. I'm making that this year for supper club.

Gecko
11-03-2005, 12:16 PM
I just cleaned out my freezer. I found 7 of the small bags of cranberries. I remember buying them when they were selling them off for .50 after Thanksgiving. The problem is that I don't remember buying them last year, I think it was the year before :eek: . They looked fine but I still got rid of them.
Note to self - remember to clean out all the way to the back of freezer every 6 months, not 2 years :D .

zackaboo
11-03-2005, 02:22 PM
I have this irrational fear that I'll suddenly need cranberries in the depth of summer (cranberry sorbet?? upside down muffins??), but they won't be available, so I always buy an extra bag or two when they are available during the holidays. I've been doing this for years and so far have never used up my frozen stash. :rolleyes: But that hasn't stopped me! LOL! On Thanksgiving, I cook what I had frozen from before -- and buy more bags to freeze.

That is funny. I could have written that post...

bbenedict
11-03-2005, 04:05 PM
[QUOTE=Connor's mom]

I'm a thinkin' I'd love to have this recipe. Would someone mind posting?

TIA
Bonnie

dorothyntototoo
11-03-2005, 04:22 PM
I too have berries from last year & plan to cook them up for Thanksgiving & buy more when they go on sale. Isn't it refreshing to know that "you're not alone"?

Dorothy

bbenedict
11-03-2005, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE=Connor's mom]

I'm a thinkin' I'd love to have this recipe. Would someone mind posting?

TIA
Bonnie

Never mind. I just found the thread with the recipe. Mmmm!

golden1225
11-03-2005, 07:59 PM
That is funny. I could have written that post...

ME TOO!!!!
:D :D :D

Meg O'C
11-03-2005, 08:33 PM
ME TOO!!!!
:D :D :D

Right there with you guys! I always think I might want to make some sort of cranberry muffin or coffee cake recipe when they are not in season.