PDA

View Full Version : HELP QUICK - Awesome, buttery, not-so-sweet buttercream frosting

Gracie
11-06-2005, 11:27 AM
I hope people are around on a Sunday...

I am looking for a vanilla buttercream frosting for DD's birthday cake that's not too sweet. I like the creamy-ness and buttery-ness of buttercream without too much powdered sugar flavor.

The basic buttercreams I've been able to find are close variations of:

2 sticks butter
7 - 8 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla

But posters have said this recipe (which came with the Magnolia Birthday Cake posted here some time ago) was way too sweet.

Anyone have anything creamy, buttery and not too sweet?

Thanks!

Loren

little_bopeep
11-06-2005, 11:37 AM
I know you want vanilla, but I did find a Godiva Chocolate Buttercream for later use, perhaps.

Buttercream:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup Godiva Liqueur

Beat butter in bowl until smooth, using electric mixer at medium speed. Sift sugar and cocoa over butter and add Godiva Liqueur, beating until smooth, using low speed.

Gracie
11-06-2005, 12:15 PM
You're right - I'm keeping that one for later!! :D

Loren

zwieback
11-06-2005, 12:43 PM
I don't have a tried and true recipe but, try doing a google search. I tried searching for "buttercream frosting" not too sweet. There were a lot of things to pick from. I think allrecipes.com had some and recipezaar.com had some. Those are just a couple of what I saw.

ETA: Here are a couple of links I found. Maybe you can come up with a frosting using these and your recipe. Or, maybe you'll like one of these.

http://www.recipezaar.com/19353
http://cake.allrecipes.com/az/JnnsFrsting.asp
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/33/ButtercreamFrosting66784.shtml

Some of the recipes I found look quite similar to the one you posted, only using less sugar.

CompassRose
11-06-2005, 02:04 PM
This is not so sweet, buttery, and IMHO awesome -- pastry-cream buttercream. I just HATE that grease + sugar frosting stuff! This recipe is from The Village Baker's Wife, by Gail and Joe Ortiz; my mother makes a variation using a plain cornstarch custard, no eggs. Last week, I made yet another version using home-made almond milk for a person who couldn't eat dairy or soy (though she could tolerate butter).

BUTTERCREAM (1/2 recipe)
Pastry Cream
1 1/2 cups milk (I have made it with 1%, which is fine)
1/2 cup sugar
1.5 large egg yolks (I have used egg sub, which is also fine)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1.5 tsp extract, vanilla or otherwise

1 cup (8 oz) unsalted butter at room temperature

Note: The butter and the pastry cream MUST be at the same temperature, about 75F, when they are combined. Before assembling the pastry cream, take the butter out of the fridge and allow it to come to room temp. for at least 2 and up to 6 hours, depending on the weather.

To make the pastry cream, place 1/2 cup of the milk in a small bowl and set aside. Heat remaining 1 cup milk with the sugar in the top of a double boiler. Stir until dissolved. Heat over boiling water, stirring once or twice, until hot and steaming, about 6 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks and cornstarch into reserved milk until smooth and well incorporated.

Slowly add about half the hot milk-sugar mixture to the cornstarch mixture, whisking continuously. Whisk this back into the mixture remaining in the pot, and continue to whisk vigorously until the cream thickens, about 5-6 minutes. Once thickened, remove from heat, whisk in the extract, and transfer to another bowl to finish cooling. To keep it from forming a skin, either leave uncovered and whisk every 5 minutes or so, or to cool without stirring, cover bowl immediately with plastic pressed right into the surface of the pastry cream, and let cool undisturbed for about 3 hours.

To make buttercream, place butter in a large bowl and beat at least two minutes, until very fluffy. With mixer running on medium speed, add pastry cream steadily, about 2T at a time, just barely incorporating each addition. As soon as all the pastry cream is incorporated, stop mixer, scrape down bowl and beater well. Mix on med-high speed for 15 seconds.

Gracie
11-06-2005, 02:37 PM
The one with the marshmellow creme looks really interesting! And I love pastry cream! Now I have a recipe for it!

Those other 2 links really are similar - that must be buttercream I guess - lots of powdered sugar. The marshmellow creme might cut the sweetness a bit.

Maybe buttercream's not what I wanted. Maybe a whipped-cream/butter frosting? Anyone have any other ideas rather than buttercream?

Loren

CompassRose
11-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Here's an interesting one:
Extra Special Buttercream

1 C butter
1 C crisco
2 lb powdered sugar
1/2 t salt
1-2 t flavoring(s)
6-8 oz whipping cream

Cream butter and crisco until fluffy. Add sugar and continue creaming until well-blended. Add salt, flavoring(s), and cream; blend on low speed until moistened. Beat on high speed until fluffy. Yields 6-7 cups.

And here's a Swiss Meringue Buttercream:

Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Makes 3 cups

4 large egg whites
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

In the top of a double boiler set over simmering water, whisk together the egg whites, sugar, salt, and cream of tartar. Continue whisking until the mixture becomes too hot to touch comfortably, 7 to 10 minutes.

Transfer the mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat on, medium-high speed until the egg whites hold a stiff peak, about 8 minutes. Add the-butter, one or two pieces at a time, beating after each addition until incorporated. Beat in the vanilla. Use at room temperature.

skyllo
11-07-2005, 05:14 AM
I've found that mixing a regular sweet frosting with cool whip makes it really tasty and much lighter, not exactly gourmet...but it works and it's easy :)

Sarah