PDA

View Full Version : How to take off Paper Stuck To Wood?

berkshiregirl73
11-07-2005, 11:51 PM
I have an old cherry wood dresser that I inherited from my Gram. It is beautiful!! My wonderful husband had a leaky bottle of cologne that has now left behind paper stuck to the top of the dresser and I don't know how to get it off.

I've heard goo gone and olive oil so far. Any advice? Help!

generic
11-08-2005, 01:13 AM
Have you tried nail polish remover? Don't know if it would work, but I try it for lots of things. That acetone is pretty powerful stuff. :) Just be sure to try a test area first, in a nonvisible spot.

Just noticed this is your first post, so I get to be the first to say WELCOME!

Beth
11-08-2005, 02:38 AM
Be careful -- acetone may remove the finish.

Water -- just a damp sponge or washcloth, will usually loosen stuck paper. If that doesn't work, the alcohol in the cologne or possibly the oils may have softened the finish and then dried the paper to it. Using the same thing or type of thing should loosen it again.

GooGone has a citrus oil base and will probably be less harmful to the wood's finish than a thinner or something like acetone, but check the instructions to make sure you can use it.

funnybone
11-08-2005, 09:34 AM
Goo Gone works wonders for many things. If you are afraid of using it in case it could harm the wood, you could try Murphy's Oil soap.

I wouldn't recommend the nail polish remover. I remember spilling some when I was younger on a dresser and it left a mark.

ChristieinMB
11-08-2005, 10:45 AM
I also recommend the Goo Gone, don't use the polish remover.
Christie

leebee
11-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Could you try a little lemon oil & elbow grease? The oil may soften the paper enough to remove it and won't be harsh on the wood/finish. I use it to polish my furniture and it is remarkable what it takes up dirt-wise (I have a lot of hand-me-down furniture that has been improved by using the lemon oil).

rholland2020
11-08-2005, 06:46 PM
Try the "Magic Sponges" on the market. (Mr. Clean???) You wet them and they take LOTS of stuff off. I've used them for the stickies on frames/glassware, scuff marks on floors, etc. They are wonderful and not chemical induced!

Valerie226
11-08-2005, 08:16 PM
I would try a damp sponge ( damp, not dripping) set on top of the paper for an hour or so. lift it up & see if you can scrape the paper with a fingernail or some other blunt object. If not, let it go another hour or so. then try again. Goo gone works if glue is involved but this may be just paper with nothing else to speak of.

Cookin4Love
11-09-2005, 06:03 AM
Lemon oil applied liberally and left to sit for awhile should loosen it up. If not, try petroleum jelly; the petroleum base penetrates the paper and is one of the most powerful agents I've ever used for removing sticky, stuck-on things. Let us know what works.

rburganmckinley
11-09-2005, 11:55 AM
Lemon oil works for me. I am forever getting paper stuck to the coffee table. I just cover the area with the lemon oil and let it sit until the paper has softened enough to scrub it off with a cloth.

Lillith
11-09-2005, 12:32 PM
A big NO-NO for nail polish remover. I know that baby oil works wonders on glass and I don't see why it wouldn't work on wood.