05-27-2001, 04:26 AM
I would love this after the reviews I have read....I want to make it for my Mediterranean dinner party on Friday. It seems like it would have a light and refreshing flavor (it IS lemon after all!)
Thanks for the help http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif
05-27-2001, 07:28 AM
* Exported from MasterCook *
Lemon Sponge Cake With Strawberry Filling
Recipe By :Cooking Light Magazine. May 2001. Page: 197.
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped strawberries
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 cups sliced strawberries, divided
1 cup frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping,
In this rendition of shortcake, berry sauce and creamy topping pile on the sweetness.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. To prepare cake, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Beat eggs in a large bowl with a mixer at high speed for 2 minutes. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, beating until thick and pale (about 4 minutes). Add 1/4 cup water, rind, 1 tablespoon juice, and vanilla, beating at low speed until blended. Add flour mixture, beating just until blended. Pour the batter into a 9-inch round cake pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
3. To prepare sauce, combine chopped strawberries, 1/3 cup water, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice in a medium nonaluminum saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook until reduced to 3/4 cup (about 15 minutes). Cool.
4. Split cake in half horizontally using a serrated knife; place bottom cake layer, cut side up, on a plate. Spread with 6 tablespoons sauce. Top with 1 cup sliced strawberries and 1/2 cup whipped topping. Top with remaining cake layer. Repeat layers with remaining sauce, sliced strawberries, and whipped topping. Cut into 8 slices. Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 slice).
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.