PDA

View Full Version : Substituting Neufchatel Cheese(Italian Cream Cake)?

schnauzerlover
11-15-2005, 08:00 AM
I would like to try the Italian Cream Cake and was wondering if I could replace the 'Neufchatel' cheese (in the icing) for either ricotta or cream cheese.
Thanks!

blazedog
11-15-2005, 08:02 AM
Cream cheese would be the appropriate sub -- back in the olden days before they had reduced fat cream cheese, neuf cheese was used as a low fat sub for cream cheese -- very similar texture and taste.

schnauzerlover
11-15-2005, 08:22 AM
to hear, I'll give it a try. I'm not sure where to get neufchatel anyway, other than a specialty store.Ive read many good things about the Italian Cream cake, so Im dying to give it a try!

blazedog
11-15-2005, 08:25 AM
They sell it next to the cream cheese in the supermarkets I go to -- you might have to ask because it can get hidden.

blazedog
11-15-2005, 08:34 AM
They sell it next to the cream cheese in the supermarkets I go to -- you might have to ask because it can get hidden.

funnybone
11-15-2005, 08:35 AM
I'm not sure where to get neufchatel anyway, other than a specialty store.

If you can find Philadelphia 1/3 less fat cream cheese, then you have it. In the upper right corner, it's labelled Neufchatal. It's the only cream cheese I use and sub it for full fat all the time.

funniegrrl
11-15-2005, 09:26 AM
Yes, I was going to say that Philadelphia "light cream cheese" is really Neufchatel -- they just changed the labeling several years ago.

HealthyinMN
11-15-2005, 10:21 AM
If you can find Philadelphia 1/3 less fat cream cheese, then you have it. In the upper right corner, it's labelled Neufchatal. It's the only cream cheese I use and sub it for full fat all the time.

This is what we use often - it works great and I can't tell the difference!

Tutalady
11-15-2005, 10:33 AM
I use the 1/3 less too and can never tell the difference. I think it blends better than regular cream cheese too.