PDA

View Full Version : Help converting meat dish to vegetarian

newcook
11-15-2005, 04:08 PM
Hi all,

I would like to convert this meat dish to vegetarian using lentils. My question is what quantity of uncooked lentils would equal about 1 pound of uncooked lean ground beef?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Afghani Meat And Noodle Casserole

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef Casseroles

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups fat-free yogurt
2 large leek -- chopped
3 tablespoons butter
1 pound lean ground beef
2 large onion -- chopped
2 cups tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
12 ounces lasagna noodles -- broken
3 cloves garlic -- chopped
1 tablespoon mint

Saute leeks in butter for 5 minutes. Add meat and brown, add onions and saute until golden, add tomato sauce, salt, coriander, cumin, pepper and cayenne, simmer 30 minutes. cook noodles as directed. combine yogut and garlic, stir well. Butter a 13x9 inch baking pan, put half yogurt on the bottom, layer with 1/2 noodles, 1/2 meat sauce, repeat ending in meat sauce. sprinkle mint over top and bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.

Source:
"chloe25, CL BB"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 564 Calories; 23g Fat (36.4% calories from fat); 27g Protein; 62g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 74mg Cholesterol; 853mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 3 Fat.

NOTES : I added 1 tbs of all purpose flour to the yogurt mixture to stabilize it.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Here is my proposed lentil variety:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Afghani Lentil And Noodle Casserole

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Casseroles Lentils

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups fat-free yogurt
2 large leek -- chopped
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup green or brown lentils -- picked over and washed
2 cups unsalted vegetable stock
2 large onion -- chopped
2 cups tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
12 ounces lasagna noodles -- broken
3 cloves garlic -- chopped
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 tablespoon mint

Saute leeks in butter for 5 minutes. Add onions and saute until golden. Stir in the lentils and add the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Add tomato sauce, salt, coriander, cumin, pepper and cayenne, simmer 30 minutes. Cook noodles as directed. Combine yogurt, flour and garlic, stir well. Butter a 13x9 inch baking pan, put half yogurt on the bottom, layer with 1/2 noodles, 1/2 meat sauce, repeat ending in meat sauce. sprinkle mint over top and bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.

Source:
"A cross between Syrian Rishtah from The Versatile Grain and the Elegant Bean: A Celebration of the World's Most Healthful Foods by Sheryl and Mel London and Afghani meat and Noodle Casserole both posted on CLBB"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 485 Calories; 8g Fat (13.9% calories from fat); 23g Protein; 82g Carbohydrate; 14g Dietary Fiber; 17mg Cholesterol; 1519mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat.

NOTES : Here is my attempt at combining the two recipes.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 903920 342 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

heavy hedonist
11-15-2005, 04:25 PM
I would be measuring the amounts the same way, raw for raw-- but I would say you'd need about 2 cups cooked lentils (maybe with a little oil stirred in before adding to the dish in assembly), maybe a bit more. Lentils are heavier though, so I doubt more than 2 cups would be needed. It's really about covering the same amount of space as the beef would have, not the weight so much as spreadability.
So cook 2 cups dry (will make more than 2 cups cooked) and have leftovers; not much point in cooking dried beans if you don't make a good batch anyway, and lord knows they keep.
Good luck, and BTW, please don't call it vegetarian if you're using chicken stock-- I don't personally care what people want to label themselves, but mislabelling food gives us endless trouble and explanation, which gives us a bad rep, blah, blah blah. No offense meant, just clarity! ---mari

newcook
11-15-2005, 04:38 PM
Oops, heavy hedonist good catch. I've edited the recipe. I do have vegetable stock on hand. I am trying to make the recipe for my sister who is not really a vegetarian but she doesn't like meat so I try to make things for her without it.

Thanks with the help on the recipe.

knunes
11-15-2005, 07:03 PM
Your conversion sounds right to me! Another idea sometime would be to do the meat and noodle recipe with soy crumbles (Boca for example) replacing the ground meat, if she likes those.