PDA

View Full Version : Evaporated milk question for pumkin pie bakers

JeanninePC99
11-24-2005, 07:34 AM
Of course I didn't pick up a can of evaporated milk at the store this week...I know I had a couple cans already.

Well, wouldn't you know, I haven't been using the oldest can when I've needed evap milk in the past, so I'm left with two cans: one is the right kind for my recipe (lowfat) and has a use by date of 2002 and another's use by date isn't readable, but it's from Star Market, which got taken over by Shaws Supermakets in 2003 or 2004. That second one is regular milk, not lowfat.

Any thoughts? My instinct is the use the "newer" can, even though it's not lowfat.

I've learned my lesson, but for now, I need to get this pie in the oven!

JeanninePC99
11-24-2005, 08:25 AM
Then answer to the question is: go to the supermarket and buy a new can of milk!

Hahaha. Problem solved. Happy T-day! :)

Grace
11-24-2005, 08:48 AM
Or I would open them both and see if either of them smelled ok. If it smells ok (and looks ok - not an odd color or too yellow) then I would use it.

Grace
11-24-2005, 08:49 AM
Or I would open them both and see if either of them smelled ok. If it smells ok (and looks ok - not an odd color or too yellow) then I would use it.

Oops - editing to add I see it was you who answered yourself. When I first read it I thought someone else was giving you a smart aleck answer! Glad you got a nice fresh can! :D

Beth
11-24-2005, 10:14 AM
I didn't realize it was a self-answer at first either. I think a new can is best when it's that far past the date -- of use regular milk and know it won't be as thick. You could try to reduce some, but I don't know how long that would take -- probably longer than going to the store if you can avoid a long line. I don't buy evaporated milk anymore -- I have powdered milk for certain bread recipes and emergencies (translated -- when my son gets the last of the milk and I really want a capauccino instead of black coffee). It works for than, and I can add some to regular milk to create non-evaporated evaporated milk. :D You can buy envelopes that make a quart -- or 2 cups of "evaporated."