PDA

View Full Version : Pecan prices

mbrogier
11-25-2005, 12:02 AM
I'm Southern. I LOVE pecans. I am just floored at how much they cost, and I'm not talking about the good looking halves, just pieces. I bought some yesterday for $6 for a 2 cup bag. The store did have a seasonal bulk nut bin, but when I opened the bin to sniff I wasn't impressed enough to pay $8 lb. :eek: The nuts weren't rancid, but they weren't fresh, either. I guess when you've cracked nuts you picked from a relative's tree, you get a little spoiled. :p I'll have to pick up some fresher nuts when I visit my mom in a few weeks. Hopefully I'll have the freezer space.

I thought about ordering nuts, but I figured by the time I paid shipping, the price would be pretty steep. So, what is the price of pecans in your neck of the woods?

(oh, and because I can already fortell the rabbit trail on this thread, it's peh,CaHN. ;))

tea4one
11-25-2005, 12:31 AM
Wow! I will have to look when I go shopping again.

Are you sure it's not Pee-can. :D

Melman
11-25-2005, 06:09 AM
We have a seasonal nuts store around here with very decent prices. I bought pecans earlier in the week. I think their prices ran from $6 (small chopped pieces) to $7.25(?) for medium halves. These prices are for a pound bag. I'm not sure how many cups are in a bag, but I used a cup for a recipe and it barely put a dent in the bag.

Walnuts are about $4.50/bag. They're CHEAP!

I'm pretty sure this store ships nuts as part of their business. If you're interested, I could find out more information.

manetta
11-25-2005, 06:25 AM
(oh, and because I can already fortell the rabbit trail on this thread, it's peh,CaHN. ;))

Of course it is! :D

$8 per pound down here for Planters brand. :eek:

blazedog
11-25-2005, 07:09 AM
Thank god for Trader Joes -- no nuts are cheap of course but the prices at TJ are so reasonable I don't know what they are -- just that I don't think twice about buying them in whatever quantity I need for a dish -- pecans, macadamias -- this year I got shelled pistachios and chopped cashews for cookies. :D

Makes one realize how big a mark-up there is on nuts in the supermarket aisle.

doggerham
11-25-2005, 07:22 AM
Last week I pd $7/pound for beautiful, fresh organic pecans at the farmers market. Stale, nasty ones were $9 at the Kroger.

Capucine
11-25-2005, 08:36 AM
Sam's & Costco's have good prices on large bags of pecans, walnuts and almonds too I believe. They are outrageous at the grocery stores.

ADM
11-25-2005, 08:45 AM
"(oh, and because I can already fortell the rabbit trail on this thread, it's peh,CaHN. :D

"Of course it is! :D

"Are you sure it's not Pee-can. :D

It could even be pea-cahn. :)

Everyone is right! It's all about the part of the country you come from! Remember the old song - "Some say tomater, some say toh-mawter, some same potater, some say potawter"?

Do you go to your Ant Myrtle's or, your Awnt Myrtle's for Thanksgiving? :p ;)

Goldie
11-25-2005, 08:46 AM
Bought pecans at Costco here not long ago, the 2# bags were $11. They were nice halves, decent quality I think.

Growing up I had family in Arkansas who would send us bushel bags of shelled pecans every year at the holidays. Pecan pie, cinnamon rolls, waffles, yum.

I still require pecan pie every Turkey Day.

Judy/AZ
11-25-2005, 08:46 AM
I paid $6 something for a 1 1/2 pound bag of chopped pecans a TJ's. I thought that was a bargin. I am using them sparingly. I can't believe the price of nuts!! Told my family we just may go nutless this holiday season.

blazedog
11-25-2005, 09:17 AM
And really put this in perspective -- I have been going through magazines on my holiday break and NY Magazine had some bakery recommendations

-- A pecan pie from a good NYC bakery is $24 to $26.
A pound of really good cookies can top $20

Even repulsive cookies from the supermarket are expensive -- I don't know because I never buy them but aren't Oreos/pecan sandies several dollars for a bag?

bobmark226
11-25-2005, 09:34 AM
I've seen no change whatsoever, and I go through a lot of pecans. Almost everywhere I've looked (and they're one thing I always check out of curiosity), they still average $5.99 a pound. In fact, I bought a bag at Whole Foods, which is somewhat pricier, right before I moved and was surprised to see the same $5.99 tag.

Bob

Capucine
11-25-2005, 09:58 AM
Can't wait to get TJ's in Atlanta!!!

Beth
11-25-2005, 02:15 PM
I buy nuts every year in a fundraiser and get large, fat halves for $8 a pound. They are the best I've ever gotten, so I don't mind. They are always new crop and so fresh while most of what you see in the grocery stores is the end of the last year's crop.

While they usually run specials this time of year, I haven't seen many this year. I think the warm weather has a lot to do with it. The pecan trees don't drop the nuts until we get a good chill, and while we had some cool weather early, it wasn't cold enough. Then we got a long warm spell and the nut crop came in pretty late. I usually get my pecans before Thanksgiving, but won't get them until next week this time.

Kayaksoup
11-25-2005, 02:19 PM
My christmas cake pecans set me back 13.99/lb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beth
11-25-2005, 02:25 PM
My christmas cake pecans set me back 13.99/lb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ouch! :eek:

mbrogier
11-25-2005, 02:39 PM
Linda wins!

Melman, my in-laws live in Greenville. Where do you get your pecans? I could add them to my Christmas wish list. :p (they drive up here, so room isn't a problem)

I do have TJ's, I just didn't think to get any last time, and they have been selling out fast! (now I know why) :rolleyes: I keep a lot of walnuts on hand because they are so good for you. I don't know why I'm so stingy with buying pecans, but the price tag just kills me. Beth's explanation does make a lot of sense.

Jasmine-Rose
11-25-2005, 02:41 PM
I've always purchased pecans at the grocery store, and I never knew what I was missing until this year. At the recommendation of a friend who was raised in the south, I ordered pecans from a company in Georgia this year and I'm amazed at how good pecans can be. I will never again buy pecans in the grocery store. I paid just over $11 per pound for these and they really opened my eyes. I put them in ziplock bags and put them in the freezer but I can't guarantee that many of them will ever get to be in cookies or other baked goods. So far I just keep eating them as is or adding them to salads.

I sure wish I had known earlier just how sweet and delicious pecans can be.

Robyn1007
11-25-2005, 03:13 PM
I used to work for a pecan farm in Las Cruces NM that has awesome pecans, here's their website www.stahmanns.com. The prices are a bit better, especially as you by bigger quantities.

Robyn

generic
11-25-2005, 09:42 PM
I bought pecan halves (not pieces) at TJ's about 3 days ago for 6.99 lb. Other groceries around here sell them in bulk, but they taste stale to me, and I believe they cost more.

Beth
11-26-2005, 08:20 AM
Here's a link to the place our fundraiser has used for getting pecans and mixes. They ship retail in 1 lb bags ($5.95) or 3 and 5 lb boxes.

http://www.durhams.com/store.html

I switched to them for both price and other factors the year I ran the fundraiser and was very pleased. They sent me a sample and were very apologetic about it being "last year's crop" and that the ones we would get would be fresher. I was very pleased with the sample and thought it was better than what I could normally get. One year, we got the pecans so quickly that the meats had not dried to the point you are used to seeing. They were still a bit on the chewy side and one of our members thought they were bad (if you've ever picked the pecans up off the ground yourself, you would have understood ;) ). After a few days, they were as expected and she came back for more.

I bet the ones from Las Cruces are good too (probably the same or more similar varieties to those in Texas). It reminds me of how, when I was planning for the fundraiser that first year, I had people telling me I had to order "Texas pecans." I hadn't even thought about that, but seems we had some folks who were very particular about their pecans. They wouldn't buy pecans again unless they came from Texas. We were suprised when we opened the boxes and saw the Texas flag on the ones from Durham (that was the year they switched), but at least there was no doubt about where they came from.

Now, I know Georgia has a reputation to protect, and I am sure the peacans there are great too. What can I say? It's a Texas thing, y'all. ;)

bobmark226
11-26-2005, 08:38 AM
Now, I know Georgia has a reputation to protect, and I am sure the peacans there are great too. What can I say? It's a Texas thing, y'all. ;)

All this talk of pecan farming dredges up an old memory and a standard line Tony and I have. We often stayed an inn that was a lovely old farmhouse in Stowe. They had picnic style communal breakfast tables to encourage conversation and one weekend we had a pe-cahn farmer from NM, born in Texas, who was the biggest, loudest boor we ever encountered in this situation. Aside from the fact that he continually insulted the host/cook with his incessant raving about "the baked goodies" he'd gotten at an inn in NH, he told us everything we could possibly want to know about his crop, repeatedly saying "If you've never tasted a pecan right off the tree, you've never tasted a pecan." Of course, now everytime we're shopping and buying pecans, one of us inevitably says...

Bob

Beth
11-26-2005, 08:49 AM
we had a pe-cahn farmer from NM, born in Texas, who was the biggest, loudest boor we ever encountered in this situation.

Well, as nice a folk as most of us are, there are some in every crowd. Why do you think his neighbors shipped him off for a vacation in the first place? ;) :D

dorothyntototoo
11-26-2005, 08:50 AM
When I was visiting family in Texas last month, I was offered a grocery sack of pecans. They were "last year's crop" but supposedly still fresh. I thought about the time involved in picking those little goodies out of their shells, and declined the offer. For the few pecans that I use, I'll pay $6/bag. If the price is up, we can only hope that the "pecan crackers" got a new contract & a raise for the year.

sneezles
11-26-2005, 08:52 AM
I have to admit that I would buy pe-cahns at any price and even though I just bought some this week at Whole Foods I couldn't tell you the price...I just don't look! I love going to Berdoll's Tree Farm store on St Hwy 71 on the way to Austin and buying their pecans...so very fresh and tasty!

They also do mail order: Berdoll's Pecan Farm (http://www.berdoll.com/)

Beth
11-26-2005, 08:57 AM
Love that site! I remember calling suppliers for our fundraiser and they started talking about the different varieties. I nearly died. I had been told very specifically that I had to get TEXAS pecans and now I had to deal with what variety! OMG! :p I survived.

BTW, we used to get our pecans from a farm near Austin -- don't remember the name now, and I called so many others. The fundraiser had always involved a husband driving to pick them up in the back of a truck -- usually just before or over Thansgiving weekend, depending on the weather. I didn't have the truck or the relatives in the hill country to visit and justify the trip (usually in cold, wet weather), so we made a change to someone set up to deal with large shipments. Getting them fresh, where ever you get them from, makes such a difference.

imloulou
11-26-2005, 09:05 AM
Here are a few articles to show part of why the prices are up. We are in NW Florida and most of the pecan crop here was wiped out from Ivan. (and others)

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/business/13237806.htm

http://www.confectionerynews.com/news/ng.asp?id=55754-pecan-prices-rise

badunnin
11-26-2005, 09:06 AM
Every year I get 2# of pecans from my friend in College Station, TX as a Christmas gift. She tries out new varieties at the university, then sends me the one she likes most that year. They've always gone into the freezer with great big warnings on them that they are not to be used except by me. ;)

Beth
11-26-2005, 09:28 AM
I hadn't thought about storm damage. Our crop being late would keep prices up in the early part of the season, but sounds like pecans may be the vanilla of the next few years. :( Hope the Texas crop stays healthy and can help supply new trees where needed.

Robyn1007
11-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Its very interesting to me that everyone knows of Georgia, Texas and Louisiana pecans because Stahmann Farms is actually the largest pecan producer in the world (they have farms in both New Mexico and Australia).

I actually used to count bugs on their farm for a season. I had to sample trees in every section and find out how many of certain bugs were present so they can keep control of them. It doesn't surprise me that the storms of the last couple of seasons have taken a toll on the crops because even though the trees are big and beautiful the crop is so sensitive to outside factors. In Las Cruces, one big worry is a frost too early. Stahmanns (and all the other smaller farms in the area) will light huge bonfires around the edges of the plots if there is a threat to help protect the nuts. It really is an interesting process.

Leebot
11-26-2005, 11:40 AM
I also buy pecans and some of my dried fruits at Costco. (I use a lot of dried cranberries and pecans in the Oatmeal with A-Peel cookies that my DH just loves).

Also, I find some good suppliers on eBay and sometimes I can get better deals than locally. One of my favorites is Valley Fruit & Nut from California -- their dried cherries are to die for.

Beth
11-26-2005, 11:48 AM
It really is an interesting process.

It is, and I learned a lot in ordering the pecans for our fundraiser for a couple/few years. You think about those pots to keep citrus from freezing, but not so much pecans. I bet the pecans from NM are similar to those from our hill country, but Texas is such a large state that there are so many producers spread all across.

mbrogier
11-26-2005, 02:09 PM
I had relatives that had pecan trees in their yards in NC. Big burlap bags of pecans made great cheap gifts. :D I've hulled many a pecan.

I never really thought about there being pecan varietys.

I know I've had Georgia pecans, but I don't know about Texan or Arizonan or New Mexican. Hmmm...I think I'm going to like this job of sampling. :p

Bob, down South, we'd have drug that guy back around the hen house and shot him. It is possible to get a bad pecan right off the tree. They taste very similar to an unripe persimmon. :eek:

bobmark226
11-26-2005, 04:32 PM
Also, I find some good suppliers on eBay and sometimes I can get better deals than locally. One of my favorites is Valley Fruit & Nut from California -- their dried cherries are to die for.

Be still my heart.

I need more specific info.

I'm a fairly smart guy, but no web search would provide a link to them.

Could you maybe give more inro?

TIA,
Bob

Beth
11-26-2005, 05:18 PM
Bob, here is a link (http://cgi.ebay.com/Whole-Naturally-Dried-Cherries-1-Pound_W0QQitemZ4412646183QQcategoryZ25460QQssPageN ameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) to an ebay auction for a pound of dried cherries by valley fruit and nut --user name valleynut. Hope that helps.

pattiarl
11-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Funny timing on this thread as one of the things my dad and I did today was to go the local park with his grandson/my nephew to pick up pecans and play on the swings, etc. The native pecans in Oklahoma and fairly small but really sweet. It was easy pickins (easier than last year and warmer, too) and we picked up 16 pounds in about an hour and a half. Dad took them to get cracked and blown and for .40 a pound we'll get the meats back. We figure we'll get at least two quart size bags back for $6.40. Last year we got our cracking for free and we got three ziploc bags which I have been using sparingly through the year.

Patti O.

Leebot
11-27-2005, 02:18 AM
Oops, it's Valley Nut & Fruit . . . got the words backwards! Anyway, here is their website.

http://www.valleynut.com/pages/1/index.htm

Enjoy!

Leebot
11-27-2005, 02:21 AM
I see they have different dried cherry products -- I think the one I bought was the tart dried cherries (without the pits).

Capucine
11-27-2005, 08:23 AM
Got whole pecans from the Stone Mountain Pecan Company yesterday for $6.75/lb. Based on what I'm seeing here I guess that's not a bad price. :(

BTW, I find it kind of humorous that the Stone Mountain Pecan Company is actually located in Monroe, Georgia. :rolleyes:

funnybone
11-27-2005, 12:43 PM
I noticed that the price of Almonds went up this summer too. The same bag I used to buy at Trader Joes for $3.99 went up about $2. I buy pecans at Costco or Sam's and freeze them. I find the quality to be as good (maybe even better) as any other local sources.

Melman
11-29-2005, 07:57 AM
Melman, my in-laws live in Greenville. Where do you get your pecans? I could add them to my Christmas wish list. :p (they drive up here, so room isn't a problem)

The name of the store is Wholesale Nuts Warehouse. They have a seasonal shop that's only open during the last three months of the year. It's on a small side street (called Ketron Drive) just across from the first entrance to Greenville Mall...on the end where JB Whites used to be. There's a Microtel Hotel sign on the corner.

If they can't find it, let me know and I'll search for their phone number. I have a business card around here somewhere.

By the way, the nuts freeze beautifully. I always stock up before the end of the year.

heavy hedonist
11-30-2005, 03:28 PM
Thank god for Trader Joes -- no nuts are cheap of course but the prices at TJ are so reasonable I don't know what they are -- just that I don't think twice about buying them in whatever quantity I need for a dish -- pecans, macadamias -- this year I got shelled pistachios and chopped cashews for cookies. :D

Makes one realize how big a mark-up there is on nuts in the supermarket aisle.

I'm with you on TJ's nuts-- they're generally a salvation! Only once I had tried some fresh pecans someone sent as a gift, I haven't been able to enjoy TJ's pecans as much-- but I can't live without their raw almonds and pignolias! Regular grocery stores in Indy sell what can only be described as crappy old stale pecans. At ever-climbing hideous prices, starting at more than $2 for an ounce of broken junk. Oi Oi Oi. I always use walnuts instead now, or even sunseeds if the recipe allows.

mbrogier
11-30-2005, 04:32 PM
The name of the store is Wholesale Nuts Warehouse. They have a seasonal shop that's only open during the last three months of the year. It's on a small side street (called Ketron Drive) just across from the first entrance to Greenville Mall...on the end where JB Whites used to be. There's a Microtel Hotel sign on the corner.

If they can't find it, let me know and I'll search for their phone number. I have a business card around here somewhere.

By the way, the nuts freeze beautifully. I always stock up before the end of the year.

Thanks, Melman. They're familiar with that area, so I think they should have no problem finding it.

Ann Sanders
12-02-2005, 03:34 PM
The going prices here are: shelled walnuts 16 oz. $4.99 and shelled pecans, 16 oz. for $6.99

colleency
12-02-2005, 05:45 PM
A friend in OK just got 106 pounds of pecans off his tree, which he has shelled for $.45 per pound.