PDA

View Full Version : Recipe Ideas for Unsweetened Coconut Milk

wintersummer
11-29-2005, 06:21 AM
I have a pantry area in my basement where I store my "staples". I spent some time organizing this area yesterday and came upon about 20 cans of unsweetened coconut milk. Who knew unsweetened coconut milk was a staple? Obviously, there must have been a big sale at one time OR I was in a big Asian phase, which must have faded quickly.

Here's the request - Do you have any great recipes that use unsweetened coconut milk? If so, would you mind posting? Thanks. (no desserts or sweet things please, I'm attempted to pass on those goodies during this holiday time!)

GeckoGirl
11-29-2005, 07:39 AM
Just made the Tilapia with Coconut-Curry Sauce but I used salmon. It was GREAT.

http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=79545

kash
11-29-2005, 10:45 AM
You can get these great thai curry pastes in green and red curry at any of the food stores and just add your meat/chicken/vegetables and then the coconut milk. I use a lot of these cans for Indian curries too.

sfarler
11-29-2005, 10:53 AM
Check out this site:

http://www.atasteofthai.com/recipesbyproductID4Recipes.cfm?Item=8012

annagins
11-29-2005, 10:57 AM
Thai Kitchen (http://www.thaikitchen.com/contestrecipewinner.html) has a bunch of good ones too.

lorilei
11-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Deborah Madison also features an AMAZING lentil soup recipe in VEGETARIAN COOKING FOR EVERYONE that calls for a can of coconut milk... I made it a week or two ago, and my husband couldn't get over how good it was.

I don't have the recipe on hand, but it's quite similar to THIS version (only with coconut milk rather than yogurt):

Red lentil soup with lime

2 c Split red lentils; picked over and rinsed several times
1 tb Turmeric
4 tb Butter
Salt
1 lg Onion; finely diced
2 ts Ground cumin
1 ˝ ts Mustard seeds; or 1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 bn Cilantro; chopped
3 Limes; or to taste , Juice of
1 bn Spinach leaves; chopped small
1 c Cooked rice
4 tb Yogurt; up to 6

Put the lentils in a soup pot with 2 1/2 quarts water, turmeric, 1 tablespoon of butter, and 1 tablespoon salt. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, until the lentils are soft and falling apart, about 20 minutes. Puree for a smooth and nicer looking soup. While the soup is cooking, prepare the onion flavoring: In a medium skillet over low heat, cook the onion in 2 tablespoons of the remaining butter with the cumin and mustard, stirring occasionally. When soft, about the time the lentils are cooked or after 15 minutes, add the cilantro and cook for a minute more. Add the onion mixture to the soup, then add the juice of 2 limes. Taste, then add more if needed to bring up the flavors. The soup should be a tad sour. Just before serving, add the last tablespoon of butter to a wide skillet. When foamy, add the spinach, sprinkle with salt, and cook just long enough to wilt. If the rice is warm, place a spoonful in each bowl. If it's leftover rice, add it to the soup and let it heat through for a minute. Serve the soup, divide the spinach among the bowls, and swirl in a spoonful of yogurt.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Here is another that looks similar:

Nancy Travis' Red Lentil Soup with Coconut Milk

4 cups medium diced yellow onions
2 tablespoons canola or any other vegetable oil
2 cups red lentils
6 to 8 cups water
2 cloves garlic, pressed or finely chopped
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/3 cup veggie stock powder
1/2 to 1 can coconut milk

Sauté onions and oil over medium heat until translucent. Add washed lentils and 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered until lentils are soft, about 30 min. Add remaining ingredients except for coconut milk and simmer until lentils lose their shape, about 15 minutes. Add additional water if necessary for desired consistency. Remove from heat and add coconut milk to taste.

Source: vegsource.com.

wintersummer
11-29-2005, 02:39 PM
Lorilei - I only have about 10 cookbooks and that's one of them! I'll get the recipe out of there! Let me know if you need the recipe. thanks.

lorilei
11-29-2005, 02:42 PM
Lorilei - I only have about 10 cookbooks and that's one of them! I'll get the recipe out of there! Let me know if you need the recipe. thanks.

What luck!

I do have the book -- but it's at home. On the other hand, it's a great recipe, so if anyone else is interested it's worth making :)

tbb113
11-29-2005, 02:47 PM
Here are a couple more

Curried Chicken, Sweet Potatoes and Onions
Serves 4 (1 1/4 cup servings)

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 lb skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces (I used breasts)
1 large sweet potato, peeled, chopped (1/2 inch thick)
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 (14-oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted

1. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add oil; heat until hot. Add chicken; cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until browned. Place on plate. Add sweet potato and onion to same skillet; cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently

2. Return chicken and any accumulated juices to skillet; sprinkle with curry powder and salt. Cook 1 minute. Stir in coconut milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, simmer 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring frequently. Garnish with toasted almonds.

Tips: Look for coconut milk in the Asian section of grocery stores. For a richer flavor, use coconut milk that only lists coconut milk, not water in the ingredient list. To toast almonds, place on baking sheet, bake at 375 for 4 to 6 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool.

Per Serving: 540 calories, 37.5 g total fat (20 g saturated) 29.5 g protein, 24g carbs, 70mg chol, 515mg sodium, 5.5 g fiber
Wine: Choose a flavorful white that will stand up to the curry but not add more heat. Two well matched choices are the 2002 Vina Carmen Sauvignon Blanc from Chile or the 2001 El Coto Rioja Blanco from Spain.

Suggested Menu:
Serve with Steamed Couscous
Mango-yogurt sundaes (top vanilla yogurt with fresh or canned mango slices. Sprinkle with toffee chips and toasted coconut)

Thai-Style Stir-Fried Chicken
From Cooking Light

Once the chicken and vegetables are prepped, the cooking goes quickly. Have all the ingredients close at hand to whip up this sweet-hot dinner on a busy evening. Total time: 40 minutes (includes marinating time).

1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons red curry paste
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrot
1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
1/2 cup light coconut milk
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh bean sprouts
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Combine rice vinegar, brown sugar, lime juice, red curry paste, and crushed red pepper in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken; seal and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes, turning once.
Remove chicken from the bag, reserving marinade. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add chicken; stir-fry 4 minutes. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm. Add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan. Add onion and carrot; stir-fry 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; stir-fry 3 minutes. Add reserved marinade, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add coconut milk and fish sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 minute. Stir in chicken and salt; cook 1 minute. Top with sprouts and cilantro.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup chicken mixture, 1/4 cup of sprouts, and 1 tablespoon cilantro)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 271(28% from fat); FAT 8.4g(sat 2.2g,mono 1.6g,poly 3.4g); PROTEIN 29.7g; CHOLESTEROL 66mg; CALCIUM 43mg; SODIUM 767mg; FIBER 2.9g; IRON 2.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 19.6g

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2004

Stir-Fried Cauliflower and Spinach with Red Curry Sauce
Serves 4 as a main course

Red Curry Sauce
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro or basil leaves
1 to 2 tsp Thai Red Curry Paste
2 tbsp roasted peanut oil
1 medium head cauliflower (about 2 pounds) trimmed, cored, and cut into florets
1 medium onion, chopped
1 pound spinach, preferably flat-leaf, stems removed unless they are very thin, washed, shaken dry to remove excess water, and chopped (about 6 cups, tightly packed)
Salt

1. Combine the coconut milk, soy sauce, cilantro and curry paste in a small bowl and set it aside.
2. Heat 1 1/2 tbsp of the oil in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until almost smoking. Add the cauliflower and stir-fry until lightly browned, about 4 minutes
3. Push the cauliflower to the sides of the pan and place the onion in the center. Drizzle remaining 1/2 tbsp of oil over the onion. Cook until the onion is lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add the red curry sauce, toss to coat well, and cover. Cook unitl the cauliflower is almost tender, about 3 minutes.
4. Remove the cover and add the spinach to the pan. Cover and cook, stirring once, briefly until the spinach has wilted 2 to 3 minutes. Adjust the seasonings, adding salt if necessary. Serve immediately

Kristal
11-29-2005, 02:57 PM
I also really like the Tilapia with Coconut Curry Sauce mentioned above. Here are a few more of my favorite recipes that use coconut milk.

Chicken Saté Wraps

Cooking spray
1/2 cup matchstick-cut carrots
1/3 cup chopped green onions
2/3 cup light coconut milk
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
4 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
1 1/3 cups packaged angel hair slaw

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add carrots and onions; sauté 1 minute. Stir in coconut milk and next 5 ingredients (through pepper); cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add the chicken; cook 1 minute, stirring to coat. Remove from heat; cool. Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture down center of each tortilla, and top each with 1/3 cup angel hair slaw. Roll up. Cover and chill.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 wrap)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 321(28% from fat); FAT 10.1g (sat 3.3g,mono 3.7g,poly 2.1g); PROTEIN 24.1g; CHOLESTEROL 49mg; CALCIUM 37mg; SODIUM 844mg; FIBER 4.3g; IRON 0.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 25.5g

Kathy Baruffi
Cooking Light, AUGUST 2004

Curried Chicken Penne with Fresh Mango Chutney

Chutney:
2 cups diced peeled ripe mango (about 2 mangoes)
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon chopped peeled fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt

Chicken:
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup light coconut milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons red curry paste
1 to 2 teaspoons Thai fish sauce
2 cups broccoli florets
2 cups cauliflower florets
4 cups hot cooked penne rigate (about 2 cups uncooked tube-shaped pasta)
2 tablespoons chopped green onions (optional)

To prepare chutney, combine first 9 ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until most of liquid evaporates and mixture is thick, stirring occasionally.
To prepare chicken, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and chicken; sauté 5 minutes. Combine coconut milk and next 4 ingredients (coconut milk through fish sauce), stirring with a whisk. Add coconut mixture to pan; bring to a simmer. Add broccoli and cauliflower; cover and cook 7 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in chutney and pasta; toss well to combine. Sprinkle with green onions, if desired.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 1 1/3 cups)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 216(18% from fat); FAT 4.3g (sat 1.8g,mono 0.9g,poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 20g; CHOLESTEROL 44mg; CALCIUM 52mg; SODIUM 724mg; FIBER 3.6g; IRON 1.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 25.9g

Cooking Light, JUNE 2004

LINGUINE WITH SHRIMP AND SCALLOPS IN THAI GREEN CURRY SAUCE

2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 (4-inch-long) fresh hot red chile, thinly sliced crosswise
3 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced separately
1 lb sea scallops, tough muscle removed from side of each if necessary
3/4 lb large shrimp, shelled and deveined
1 (14-oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
1 tablespoon Thai green curry paste
1/4 cup chicken broth or water
1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
12 oz dried thin linguine
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté chile and white parts of scallions, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
Pat scallops and shrimp dry separately and season with salt. Heat remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in same skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook scallops until browned, 2 to 3 minutes on each side (scallops will be almost cooked through). Transfer scallops to a bowl with slotted spoon and sauté shrimp in same skillet, stirring occasionally, until almost cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add shrimp to scallops.

Add coconut milk, curry paste, broth, brown sugar, fish sauce, and lime juice to skillet, then simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook linguine in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water until al dente, then drain in a colander.

Stir scallops and shrimp with any liquid in bowl into sauce in skillet and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer until scallops and shrimp are just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer seafood to a clean bowl with slotted spoon and add linguine and cilantro to sauce in skillet, tossing to coat.

Divide pasta and sauce among 4 bowls. Top with seafood and sprinkle with scallion greens and chile mixture.

Makes 4 servings.
Gourmet
December 2000

Honey and Coconut-Marinated Cornish Hens

2 (1 1/4-pound) Cornish hens
1/4 cup chopped peeled fresh lemongrass
1/4 cup light coconut milk
1/4 cup honey, divided
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon Thai chile sauce
2 garlic cloves

Remove and discard giblets and necks from hens. Rinse hens with cold water; pat dry. Split hens in half lengthwise. Remove skin; trim excess fat.
Place cilantro, lemongrass, coconut milk, 3 tablespoons honey, fish sauce, and remaining ingredients in a blender; process until smooth. Pour mixture into a large zip-top plastic bag. Add hen halves; seal and marinate in refrigerator 12 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 400°.

Remove hen halves from bag, reserving marinade. Place reserved marinade in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.

Place hen halves, meaty sides up, on a broiler pan. Insert a meat thermometer into meaty part of a thigh, making sure not to touch bone. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes, basting frequently with the reserved marinade. Brush remaining 1 tablespoon honey over hens, and bake hens an additional 20 minutes or until thermometer registers 180°.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 hen half)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 253(20% from fat); FAT 5.6g (sat 1.7g,mono 1.6g,poly 1.2g); PROTEIN 29.8g; CHOLESTEROL 132mg; CALCIUM 24mg; SODIUM 788mg; FIBER 0.1g; IRON 1.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 21g

David Bonom
Cooking Light, JULY 2002

Malaysian Lime-Coconut Swordfish

1/3 cup light coconut milk
2 tablespoons thinly sliced peeled fresh lemon grass (about 1 stalk) or 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon Thai chili paste (such as Dynasty)
2 shallots, peeled
1 garlic clove, peeled
1 (1 1/2-pound) swordfish steak (about 1 inch thick)
Cooking spray
Cilantro sprigs (optional)
Lemon wedges (optional)

Preheat broiler.
Combine first 9 ingredients in a food processor; pulse 3 times or until coarsely chopped. Place fish on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; spread 1/2 cup shallot mixture evenly over fish. Broil 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve the fish with the remaining shallot mixture, and garnish with cilantro sprigs and lemon wedges, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 5 ounces fish and 2 tablespoons sauce)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 255(30% from fat); FAT 8.5g (sat 2.7g,mono 2.9g,poly 1.8g); PROTEIN 36.8g; CHOLESTEROL 71mg; CALCIUM 18mg; SODIUM 840mg; FIBER 0.2g; IRON 2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 5.4g

Cooking Light, JULY 2000

Spicy Red Lentil Dal with Pita Wedges

2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 cup dried small red lentils
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 cup light coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
5 (6-inch) pitas, each cut into 8 wedges

Combine broth and lentils in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer 10 minutes or until lentils are tender. Remove from heat; cover and set aside.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, mustard seeds, and red pepper, and cook 5 minutes or until onions are tender and seeds begin to pop, stirring constantly. Add cumin, turmeric, coriander, and black pepper; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add tomato paste, and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add lentils, coconut milk, and salt; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in juice. Cool to room temperature. Serve dal with pita wedges.

Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup dal and 8 pita wedges)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 375(13% from fat); FAT 5.5g (sat 1.4g,mono 1g,poly 2.2g); PROTEIN 18.6g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 95mg; SODIUM 746mg; FIBER 14.8g; IRON 5.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 63.2g

Jennifer Martinkus and Derrin Davis
Cooking Light, JULY 2003

lorilei
11-29-2005, 03:27 PM
I'd also be remiss if I didn't give you one of my FAVORITE curry recipes, from Canadian Living, and originally posted by Natasha. This is a fabulous recipe, and is excellent made with shrimp instead of tofu (if you are so inclined).

THAI TOFU & SQUASH CURRY (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=42489&highlight=curry)
(with Natasha's notes)

1 pkg (425 g/a bit less than 1 lb) firm or extra-firm tofu, drained
1 small butternut squash (about 2 lb/1 kg)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp Thai red curry paste [I probably used a bit more.]
1 can (14 oz/398 ml) light coconut milk [I used a little less.]
1/2 cup vegetable stock
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp packed brown sugar
1 tbsp fish sauce or soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1 sweet red pepper, thinly sliced [I added some broccoli florets instead.]
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp salted peanuts, chopped [I skipped these but think they'd be good and that cashews would be even better. ]

Pat tofu dry with paper towels; cut into 3/4-inch (2 cm) cubes. Set aside. Peel and seed squash; cut into 3/4-inch (2 cm) cubes to make 3 cups (750 mL). Set aside.

In skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, garlic and curry paste, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add squash, coconut milk, stock, soy sauce, sugar, fish sauce and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; partially cover and simmer until squash is almost tender, about 12 minutes.

Add red pepper; simmer for 5 minutes. Add tofu; simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes. (Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes. Refrigerate, uncovered, in airtight container until cold. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Reheat to continue.) Stir in cilantro and lime juice; sprinkle with peanuts.

Makes 6 servings.
Per serving: about 204 cal, 9 g protein, 11 g total fat [obviously you could reduce the fat and cals by using low-fat firm tofu, as I did, and by reducing the amount of oil to fry the onions and garlic and curry paste.]

GingerPow
11-29-2005, 05:34 PM
Here are some sweet ideas using the coconut milk:

BANANA COCONUT CAKE
Cake:
7 ounces unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/3 cups mashed ripe banana
1 1/3 cups sifted cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
Coconut Custard:
1 can (13.5 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk (available in Asian markets)
1 cup milk
2/3 cup white sugar
5 egg yolks
1/3 cup cornstarch
Assembly:
3 bananas, sliced
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted golden brown

Cake:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 9-inch cake pans. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until it is light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well in between each addition, and continue to beat until very light and fluffy. Add buttermilk and mashed banana and mix well. In a separate bowl, sift and dry ingredients together (flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder), then add to batter and mix at low speed on the electric mixer until moistened. Beat one minute at medium speed, then fold in pecans and pour batter evenly into the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. After removing the cakes from the oven, allow them to cool for five minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack. Assemble when thoroughly cooled.

Coconut Custard:

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and cut another piece of parchment to the same size. Set both aside. Combine the coconut milk and milk and stir together. In a bowl, mix 2/3 cup of sugar with 1/3 cup cornstarch and stir with a fork until free from lumps. Mix the sugar and cornstarch together with the egg yolks and 1 cup of coconut milk mixture. Whisk until smooth and set aside. In a heavy saucepan, bring the remaining coconut milk mixture to a boil. Pour it into the bowl with the egg yolk-sugar mixture, whisking constantly. Return the mixture to the saucepan over medium flame and continue stirring. Cook until small bubbles start to form on the surface of the custard. Remove from the heat and spread onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover the top of the custard with the other sheet of parchment to prevent a skin from forming. Cool in the refrigerator.

To assemble Cake:

In a large bowl, gently toss banana slices with the lemon juice, and sugar. Trim the top of the first layer of cake so that the surface is level, then spread with a thin layer of custard. Place bananas completely over bottom layer, so that no cake is showing. Spread with another layer of coconut custard. Place next cake layer on top of this and spread the top generously with coconut custard. Garnish liberally with toasted coconut flakes.

Coquito II
(Traditional Puerto Rican Egg Nog)
Yields: 16 servings

INGREDIENTS:
6 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened
condensed milk
5 (12 fluid ounce) cans evaporated milk
1 (10 ounce) can unsweetened
coconut milk
1 (14 ounce) can cream of
coconut
4 1/4 cups light rum

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks until smooth. Whisk in cinnamon and vanilla Stir in coconut milk, cream of coconut, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and rum. Taste and adjust cinnamon and vanilla if desired. Blend well and strain through a fine sieve or cheesecloth. Pour into clean bottles. Serve chilled.