PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic top stoves

sage611
11-30-2005, 04:21 AM
I'm getting a new stove for Christmas and would appreciate some recommendations. Right now I have my eye on a stainless steel Kitchenaid with a built-in convection oven. :p Anyone have a Consumer Reports?

Cookin4Love
11-30-2005, 05:32 AM
I have a GE Profile with ceramic top and convection oven. It's only about 6 months old, but we haven't had any problems. I love the convection feature and use it all the time. I really liked the look of the Profile appliances, and they were rated high by Consumer Reports.

I don't have time right now to pull up the Consumer Reports info, but if no one has done it by the time I get home this evening, I'll visit their website and get it for you.

rburganmckinley
11-30-2005, 07:31 AM
All Kenmore appliances are highly rated by consumer reports (I think they occupy about half of the top ten slots in each category). I bought a Kenmore range this summer and I love it, but I didn't get the convection. It seems like someone else did on this board recently. have you tried searching yet on the other stuff board?

Sugar
11-30-2005, 10:46 AM
I have a Black Kitchen Aid ceramic top stove w/ convection. I love it - however - with my stove (and I have a friend that has the same one but in White) the elements stain super easy (my friends is the same way). If any food or water gets onto the element while it is on - it will stain and it takes months of cleaning (with the ceramic top cleaner) to get it off.

We have become very careful cookers - never can anything boil over accidentally.

The other thing with ceramic top is if you hav a problem with an element - (like we do right now - one of the front elements is not working properly - takes twice as long to boil water, etc.) it is super expensive to fix. We have not even tried - I am dealing with it for now - but we have been told we will most likely have to replace the entire top.

the one positive to the ceramic top though is it essentially becomes additional counter space when needed - and I need it - I have a very small kitchen. But I will never buy one myself (ours came with the house) - my next stove will be gas.

blazedog
11-30-2005, 10:53 AM
I recently researched these. FWIW, I liked the GE Profile because it had ALL of the things I was looking for

1. highly rated by CU

2. TRUE convection oven -- many convection ovens aren't really convection ovens but merely have a fan to blow air around. A true convection oven has a third heating element. I believe KA is also a true convection oven

3. Sealed elements on the bottom -- goes to cleaning up -- do I have to say more -- the difference between cleaning a completely fat surface and one that has heating elements on the bottom. Sure all ovens are "self cleaning" but you still have to wipe down the crumbs and the ash etc.

4. Ribbon element - this permits two elements to be used as one which is great for using a long grill pan, griddle or making gravy with the roasting pan.

5. Element that becomes very large -- again self evident.

Do check out the Kenmore as saw the newest model when I bought a DW recently. It has a warming drawer as well in case that matters. I believe it is a true convection with a sealed bottom element, ribbon burner etc. and silghtly less expensive than the GE Profile.

jcarley
11-30-2005, 11:24 AM
I bought one of the Kenmore Elite's last week. Due to a design flaw with the gas regulator, the stove will not go flush with the cabinet and sticks out about 6 inches from the wall. The salesperson told me that that is normal if you are installing it in an existing kitchen. (I disagree) My husband was able to rig it to get it a bit closer, but we also had to make a custom back piece for it out of tile to seal the gap.

GingerPow
11-30-2005, 12:04 PM
I have had great luck for years with G.E. Profile appliances. I love the convection oven. I "fixed what wasn't broken" when we put together this new house. Had a ceramic top stove for years and switched to gas. Cooks great but is a son-of-a-gun to clean! :mad: My next stove: ceramic/glass top!
Enjoy your new toy!

bobmark226
11-30-2005, 12:10 PM
4. Ribbon element - this permits two elements to be used as one which is great for using a long grill pan, griddle or making gravy with the roasting pan.

It's been correctly pointed out here several times that most long grill pans, including the popular Lodge one, will not work on a ceramic top because they have a raised edge on both sides (the opposite being a griddle) and don't sit directly on the ceramic top, so you're pretty much restricted to the smaller, regular grill pans which sit flat.

Bob

blazedog
11-30-2005, 12:16 PM
It's been correctly pointed out here several times that most long grill pans, including the popular Lodge one, will not work on a ceramic top because they have a raised edge on both sides (the opposite being a griddle) and don't sit directly on the ceramic top, so you're pretty much restricted to the smaller, regular grill pans which sit flat.

Bob

You slither in again -- get a life why don't you.

Anyone with an electric flat top range knows that you need a flat pan to use on a ceramic top and they do make flat bottomed pans in long griddle or grill for those who need them. Just as anyone with an induction cooking surface knows what pans are necessary.

My analysis of the features of the GE Profile was absolutely correct and on topic. That you need a special pan to utilize one of the features would be pointed out only by someone as bored as yourself - do you have nothing more meaningful in life to do then attempt to make me look stupid -- it's so wearisome to deal with someone like you -- dispute my opinions if you want or point out something in which I am actually in error but PULEEZE to actually waste time on something like this or stating that your mystical white coffee pot is free of any brown deposits is laughable.

before, even YOU :D must have something better to do than try to point out the errors in my post -- if you want to use a long grill/griddle or roasting pan on the top, the function is useful as I correctly pointed out.

Now slither back to your hole and stop posting merely to make your puny "ego" enlarged for a nanosecond.

Again, I have NEVER posted anything in rsponse to anything you have ever written except when you post solely to insult me.

MNfoodie
11-30-2005, 12:17 PM
Do you currently have a ceramic top? It kind of depends on what you're used to cooking on. If you're not used to cooking on one, I would go to a friends or relatives to cook on it and see how it feels to you.
I cook on gas, but the last house I lived in came with a ceramic. I hated it. I found it more like cooking on electric. So, I would take into concideration what type of cooktop you are most comfortable with. I definately wouldn't go with Kenmore. As with a few others on the boards, I had HUGE machanical problems with their stoves. They, Sears, know of these problems, but are unwilling to fix them. I purchased a new stove for my Mom for her Birthday and she had nothing but problems with it. I had the repair men out there probably ten times in a couple of months. :mad:

blazedog
11-30-2005, 12:38 PM
I am assuming you meant an electric ceramic range?

I know they have ceramic gas ranges with sealed burners for ease of clean up but I don't have any expertise in those as my only option for years has been electric.

thegardenweb has a wonderful forum devoted to appliances and there would be somebody with expertise in gas/ceramic cooktops/ranges.

Kristilyn1
11-30-2005, 03:50 PM
I almost didn't comment because of the Sniper as I call her in private. Someone who can make the most innocent topics something to fight about............but anyway:

Stoves: I have a Frigidaire Professional Series. I've never used the convection feature (I have a Kenmore Elite speedcook oven that I use for that, though I guess it's not a 'true' convection). I do however LOVE the warming tray. It's perfect for entertaining. While I love gas stoves---I think they are a NIGHTMARE to keep clean so I've decided to sacrifice for a cleaner stove top. Once you learn to adapt, it's fine--at least IMO. Plus, I think you end up with a superior oven unless you are lucky enough to be able to have a dual fuel. I have no problem keeping mine clean and I am a slob about boil overs.

Kristi

blazedog
11-30-2005, 04:02 PM
I almost didn't comment because of the Sniper as I call her in private. Someone who can make the most innocent topics something to fight about............but anyway:

Kristi

And thank you very much for the gratuitous insult. I don't have any derogatory pet names for you that I use either publicly or privately so I would suggest exercising some verbal restraint prior to hitting the send key in the future. :rolleyes:

CLModerator
11-30-2005, 04:14 PM
From the Community Guidelines .....

Please do not place any material on our site that may be considered offensive, obscene, abusive, harassing, hateful, libelous, or unlawful. We may monitor discussions, chats, postings, and the like from time to time, and we have the right, but not the obligation, to remove, edit, or relocate any content that we feel does not live up to the standards we have set for our site.