PDA

View Full Version : Quick Cranberry Orange Cake

Lillith
12-06-2005, 01:45 PM
As much as I enjoy baking from scratch, every now and then I rely on boxed cake mixes. This recipe is very good and helps use up the extra can(s) of cranberry sauce that wasn't eaten at Thanksgiving dinner.

CRANBERRY ORANGE CAKE

1 box white or yellow cake mix
1 (16 oz.) can whole berry cranberry sauce
1/2 cup orange juice
1 Tblsp. finely grated orange zest
2 eggs
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans (opt.)

Heaven oven to 350. Grease and flour a 12 cup Bundt or tube pan. Place the cake mix in bowl of electric mixer. Reserve 1/3 cup of the cranberry sauce for glze and add the rest to the cake mix along with orange juice, zest and eggs. Beat at low speed until ingredients are incorporated, then on medium for 2-3 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 30-35 minutes till cake tests done. Let cool on wire rack for 30 min., then invert and remove pan. Make glaze by whisking the reserved cranberry sauce w/confectioners' sugar till smooth. Spoon over cake and sprinkle w/pecans.

jtoepfert100
12-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Thank you, Lillith. I have all of these things to use up in my house right now. Guess what DH is taking to work tomorrow. ;)

jtoepfert100
12-12-2005, 12:42 PM
Lillith,

Thank you for posting this. I made this last week and DH said that his co-workers were climbing over each other just to get to it! I was actually a little hesitant to send it because I didn't like the way it baked up in my silicone bundt pan and (probaby due to the silicone) I swore it smelled funny. (I've never been thrilled with the way cakes come out of this particular pan - I have since gotten rid of it.) However, the glaze covered up the too dark brown spots on the top and the smell must have been my imagination because DH was bombarded with requests for the recipe.

I don't usually bake using box mixes but next time I have one lying around the house, I know what I'll make!

Lillith
12-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Oooh, so glad DH and co-workers liked the cake!! I've never used silicone baking pans so I'm guessing that's what caused it to come out not as expected. As I said, I normally bake from scratch but every once in a while I see a cake mix recipe that intrigues me. This was so easy and so good! Thanks for letting me know.