PDA

View Full Version : Sub for instant coffee granules?

sugaree
12-07-2005, 02:32 PM
I want to make the Mocha Truffle cookies but don't have any instant coffee. Can I use regular coffee? It's only 1 tablespoon. Thanks.

Robyn1007
12-07-2005, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't use regular coffee because it won't dissolve. I don't know the recipe exactly but can you brew a bit of coffee and sub that for some liquid?

sugaree
12-07-2005, 02:37 PM
There's no liquid - just melted butter and chocolate. Here's the recipe - it's gotten great reviews here on the board.

Mocha Truffle Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups flour -- all-purpose
1/2 cup cocoa (unsweetened)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips

Melt butter and 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Add instant coffee and blend well. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.

Add sugars, eggs, and vanilla to coffee mixture. Add dry ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by tablespoon on greased cookie sheets.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Do not overbake.

Yield: 3 dozen

MNfoodie
12-07-2005, 02:40 PM
I think you should wait until you can get some coffee granuals. IMHO, you'd miss out on some of the flavor. And these cookies are fantastic! I just made a batch yesterday.

Happy baking,

Kim

mundy
12-07-2005, 02:42 PM
I never have instant coffee on hand so I made the cookies without the coffee. They turned out very good but obviously weren't Mocha flavored.
I wouldn't sub ground coffee or liquid coffee. The ground coffee wouldn't dissolve and the recipe has a good consistency without added liquid.