PDA

View Full Version : ? about making pizza dough

at828
12-10-2005, 11:44 AM
I'm making pizza for supper club tonight. The first time I've ever made my own dough! I'm a bit apprehensive, and I hope it goes well!

I think I'm going to try Runner Kim's whole wheat pizza dough recipe posted below.

Anyways, I've heard that when you let any type of bread rise, it should be a warm spot, I've heard defined as about 85 degrees. Well, it's about 60 in our house -ha! So, my options are to have it in our house or to put in in the oven (where the lowest temp set is 170 degrees). Any other suggestions?

Also, my guests are coming at 6, and I'm unsure of how to plan my timing. Can I make the dough ahead of time somehow, or is it a problem to let it sit longer than the directions say? Or I could cook it ahead of time and just re-warm? Or just try to plan it to be ready on-time.

Any thoughts?
TIA!

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
Recipe By :RunnerKim
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water (105- 110 degrees)
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour -- (2 1/2 to 3)
1 1/2 tsp salt

I normally make this in my bread machine but to do it by hand:
Proof your yeast in a half cup of the warm water (not hot). Mix all the dry ingredients. Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the remaining water and proofed yeast. Mix together and form a ball of dough (might have to adjust with water or flour -- should be slightly tacky). Knead dough on lightly floured surface approximately 10 minutes. Should become smooth and satiny. Place in a clean and sprayed bowl and cover. Let rise until double in size (about an hour - 1.5 hours). Punch down and divide into 2 equal balls. Let rest 10 minutes. Shape into crusts - letting rest again if the dough is resistent (shrinks). Polk holes in it with a fork to prevent air pockets from appaearing. Top with desired ingredients.

I adjust the ratio of whole wheat and all-purpose depending on the pizza I'm making. And almost always the bread machine is done and the dough actually gets a second short rise - 15-30 minutes before I get to dividing it and letting it rest before shaping. All depends on how rushed I am.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 425 Calories; 3g Fat (5.0% calories from fat); 19g Protein; 89g Carbohydrate; 16g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 3207mg Sodium. Exchanges: 6 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat.

dorothyntototoo
12-10-2005, 12:11 PM
The BB has less traffic on weekends so I'll answer & maybe a bread "pro" will still come on. I've not had alot of luck with yeast until lately when I got my Mom's breadmachine. My house is also cold for raising yeast dough so last weekend (made cibatta bread) for final rise I turned the oven on just for a minute - could touch the racks with bare hand - and put dough covered with damp cloth in the oven & closed the door. It worked great. In the past I've also set bowls of dough on top of the stove & occasionally turned on the oven for a couple of minutes & propped oven door open so heat circulates.

I know that pizza places make dough way ahead. I've never tried that. If you want to eat immediately at 6, maybe start dough at 4? Hope I've helped a little. I'm sure your pizza will be wonderful. I want to try this dough recipe. Please report back.

tyroleancutie
12-10-2005, 12:15 PM
We make a lot of homemade pizza and normally I prepare the dough around 6pm, but we don't eat dinner till like 9pm and the crust always turns out great :)

mundy
12-10-2005, 12:53 PM
I often prebake my pizza crust. I bake it for 8 to 10 minutes at 300 degrees. Then when I top it, I put it directly on the oven rack to cook to get a crispy bottom crust. You can put it on a pizza stone for the second baking too.

Another way to keep dough warm is to place the bowl of dough on top of a larger bowl filled with warm water. Cover everything with a towel.
If you have a way to leave the light on in your microwave without running it, that will also keep dough warmer.
Good luck, let us know how it turns out!
Linda

yomomma
12-10-2005, 02:21 PM
I ditto the par-bake method mentioned above - especially when company is involved. I'm all for getting as much prep work done to lessen the stress. Mine are usually par-baked for 7 minutes @ 350ish (but I have a commercial convection oven, so take that into account).

sneezles
12-10-2005, 02:43 PM
To create a warm place to rise the dough turn your oven on to the lowest setting for about 2 minutes, turn off and place the bowl of dough (covered with plastic warp and a towel) in the oven and let rise for the time allteed in the recipe. You can make your dough ahead and then refrigerate the pizza until it's time to bake. I don't pre-bake or half bake the crust but do assemble a couple of hours before dinner and have never had a problem with the crust...

Chef Michele
12-10-2005, 10:27 PM
This dough only has to rise for 5 min. and it's awesome! I always bake it on a pizza stone.

Pizza Crust

1 cup warm water
pinch sugar
1 package dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp.)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups flour (or 1 c. flour and 1/2 c. whole wheat flour)

Stir hot water, sugar and dry yeast until blended. Add oil, salt and flour. (I use a food processor). Stir until mixture forms a soft ball. Let rest 5 minutes. Roll out on a pizza stone or cookie sheet sprinkled with corn meal. Top with your favorite pizza sauce and toppings. Bake 450* 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.