PDA

View Full Version : What your sneeze says about you

tbb113
12-12-2005, 05:26 PM
The following is from an article that was published last week in the local paper.

THE ENTHUSIASTIC SNEEZER

Big, lusty and powerful.

WOOD SAYS: "You are a charismatic leader and influencer. You are imaginative and have great 'out of the box' ideas. You are intuitive and can inspire and motivate others. You value your relationships and hold them dear. You welcome new people and new opportunities. You are optimistic and spontaneous. You are open, and people know what you are feeling. You are articulate and enjoy a good conversation, whether it is over the phone, over dinner or out socializing. You are more likely to have sneezes that people notice -- big or multiple."

THE NICE SNEEZER

No showy histrionics or noise levels; would rather hold it back so as not to offend.

WOOD SAYS: "You are warm and friendly and like a relaxed pace. The most important thing in your life is your relationship with others. You will work hard to avoid conflict and get along. You are loyal, calm and dependable. People say you are a good listener, though you sometimes feel interrupted. You are helpful, supportive and nurturing."

THE BE-RIGHT SNEEZER

A proper, dignified and moderate achoo. Most likely to cover mouth with a tissue or hankie.

WOOD SAYS: "You are careful and accurate. A deep thinker, you always consider things before you speak. You are detailed and precise and catch mistakes that others miss. You have great insights and opinions, but you don't always get a chance to express them. You like to read books that make you think. You like to work by yourself and relax at home because you enjoy solitude. You take your time, play by the rules and wish others would do the same."

THE GET-IT-DONE SNEEZER

Bang! Quick and hard. No nonsense.

WOOD SAYS: "You are fast, decisive and to the point. You wish others could do the same. You're efficient and uncomplicated. You do not have to rely on others. You are a leader. You are forceful and commanding and work to get things quickly accomplished. You seek physical exertion. You do not like to be used unfairly by others. You will hold in your sneeze if you can and are more likely to have a big loud sneeze than other types."

Angelina
12-12-2005, 05:30 PM
I always wondered...can people help or control the way they sneeze? Some people sound like thunder when they sneeze, and I always wonder if they are not showing off somehow. :cool:

Angela

moonbeam
12-12-2005, 06:29 PM
Trust me, if I could tone down the volume of my sneezes, I would. My 9 yo DD complains they are so loud and forceful that they startle her at times (I think she also is uner the impression that I can tone it down). They truly are like explosions, but that is just the way they come out.

Lillith
12-12-2005, 06:49 PM
I, myself, am a very quiet sneezer and DH always says, "Let it out!". He, BTW, is a thunderous sneezer. Hey, they say opposites attract, right?

What about the multiple sneezer? Nothing was noted about them.

AndreaU
12-12-2005, 06:54 PM
I, myself, am a very quiet sneezer and DH always says, "Let it out!". He, BTW, is a thunderous sneezer. Hey, they say opposites attract, right?

This is DH and me to a 'T'!!! He calls my sneezes "implosions," because I keep them in and probably rupture something internally! :rolleyes:

KimE
12-12-2005, 07:11 PM
What about the gal next to my cube that sneezes so LOUD & so HARD she makes me jump :eek:
I hate it and she does it about 5 times a day. Don't you know you are going to sneeze so you can at least kind of stifle (sp?) it?
OK rant over :D
thanks
Kim

Beth
12-12-2005, 07:13 PM
I don't think DH is just thunderous -- I think he actually vocalizes. It's like he almost yells through it. I'm sure you can't control how hard you sneeze, but what about the vocalizing? He says he can't.

Lillith
12-12-2005, 07:21 PM
I don't think a person can control the loudness of their sneezes any more than I can control how stifled my sneezes are. What truly pi$$es me off to no end is that people don't cover their mouths. Go ahead, knock yourselves out....sneeze as loudly and as many times as you can - just cover your mouth!!! (Thank you.)

Beth
12-12-2005, 07:23 PM
I agree -- I can get over the volume as long as I don't get a shower. :eek:

Lillith
12-12-2005, 07:29 PM
The head secretary in my office is the WORST offender in not covering her mouth. She sprays all over the place then comes to my desk to use my phone!! UGH! GAG! GROSS! I keep a box of alcohol wipes in my desk drawer and use them regularly. My co-workers call me a germ-o-phobic. Ask me if I care!!!!!!!!

GingerPow
12-12-2005, 07:49 PM
The head secretary in my office is the WORST offender in not covering her mouth. She sprays all over the place then comes to my desk to use my phone!! UGH! GAG! GROSS! I keep a box of alcohol wipes in my desk drawer and use them regularly. My co-workers call me a germ-o-phobic. Ask me if I care!!!!!!!!

Germ-o-phobic?? O contraire! I keep a spray bottle filled with 90% isopropyl alcohol to kill those critters. I would point it at HER!
I detest when people cough :eek: or sneeze :eek: :eek: and do not cover the contaminant spewing from their mouths. Blech!

DeeK
12-12-2005, 09:19 PM
I think some people can control their sneezes 'sometimes'. Sometimes they are just to big to control. If I'm in a crowd, I try to keep my sneezes dainty. But, if I'm just hangin' at home by myself, why bother. Let 'er rip.

I DO cover my mouth though. Nobody else needs my germs. :eek:

Gracie
12-12-2005, 09:41 PM
What about the multiple sneezer? Nothing was noted about them.

I am famous for sneezing in three's. My office-mates never say Bless You until I've sneezed 3 times. Sometimes it's only twice and they wait a bit and then say Are you done? then they say Bless You.

Thankfully my sneezes are nothing notable - not extra loud and not extra quiet!

:D

Loren

ClaraB
12-12-2005, 10:10 PM
I detest when people cough :eek: or sneeze :eek: :eek: and do not cover the contaminant spewing from their mouths. Blech!Just don't cover your sneeze with your hand, please (unless you plan on washing up immediately) - use your arm instead (a handkerchief would be ideal, I suppose, but most people don't carry them anymore).

I have big sneezes - I try to minimize them, but it doesn't work very often. I'm sorry if I startle you when I sneeze :o .

stacy7272
12-12-2005, 10:13 PM
My mother has the worst sneezes. As a kid I hated them! They are so loud and horrible.

Well, guess who I sneeze like now? :rolleyes: I guess genetics do play a roll. I try to shove my nose into the crook of my elbow to stifle the noise.

Don't get me started on hiccups. I make some sort of freakish noise when I hiccup. Nothing normal at all.

Peggy
12-12-2005, 10:33 PM
What a coincidence! DD and I were discussing our sneezes this afternoon. She is definately an Enthusiastic Sneezer. I fall more in the "Be Right Sneezer" category. I will share this article with her after finals - don't want to distract the studying child right now! ;)

Peggy

JJ40
12-13-2005, 01:02 PM
I am definitely an enthusiastic sneezer. I LOVE sneezing! It feels so great, and I like the fact that I am clearing crap out of my lungs and nose. I have been accused of being the loudest sneezer that people have ever met and my sneezes scare people and startle babies. My question is, why doesn't everybody sneeze this way? I don't understand people who stifle it or do the delicate "aaachoo." Let it out! Plus, isn't sneezing the closest (socially acceptable) thing to an orgasm?

Julie

Lillith
12-13-2005, 01:13 PM
Plus, isn't sneezing the closest (socially acceptable) thing to an orgasm? Julie

:confused:

GingerPow
12-13-2005, 01:20 PM
Just don't cover your sneeze with your hand, please (unless you plan on washing up immediately) - use your arm instead (a handkerchief would be ideal, I suppose, but most people don't carry them anymore).

I don't. My childrens' third grade teacher had it right - sneeze into the inside of your elbow. You don't touch anything with that part of your body. So I either grab for a tissue, or it's the arm for me.

Lillith
12-13-2005, 01:27 PM
a handkerchief would be ideal

I never understood the use of handkerchiefs. You sneeze into it, or blow your nose into it, then put it in your pocket or purse. Then you repeat the process. GAG! You're sneezing or blowing into a dirty, germy piece of cloth. Tissues are much more sanitary; one use and you throw it away.

JJ40
12-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Okay, I see I got a frown from Lillith about my orgasm comment...but I do see them as somewhat parallel....the buildup, the climax, the release... and you feel so darn good after! (Well, at least I do, since I'm one of those enthusiastic sneezers!)

Lillith
12-13-2005, 02:07 PM
Okay, I see I got a frown from Lillith about my orgasm comment...but I do see them as somewhat parallel....the buildup, the climax, the release... and you feel so darn good after! (Well, at least I do, since I'm one of those enthusiastic sneezers!)

Actually, it was a look of confusion, not a frown. Your description of the buildup, the climax, the release and feeling good afterward can also describe a bowel movement....and I certainly wouldn't compare that to an orgasm! Hey - whatever floats your boat ;)

JJ40
12-13-2005, 02:21 PM
Your description of the buildup, the climax, the release and feeling good afterward can also describe a bowel movement....and I certainly wouldn't compare that to an orgasm!

LOL....good point!

Kathy B
12-13-2005, 03:34 PM
I had a friend in school who had a very high-pitched, almost squeaky sneeze....very prissy. I am sure she would have changed it if she could have, because it always made the class burst into laughter and embarrassed her no end.

Natasha
12-13-2005, 07:43 PM
I guess I'm a "Get it Done" sneezer, though I'm not very quiet (seems somewhat surprising given my small size). Two of our family's dogs had the habit for a while of starting to bark everytime I sneezed - so it must be pretty loud :rolleyes: ;)

Natasha

Kathy B
12-13-2005, 10:18 PM
Two of our family's dogs had the habit for a while of starting to bark everytime I sneezed - so it must be pretty loud :rolleyes: ;)

We used to have a dog that would sneeze occasionally. Whenever she did, DH would do a "fake"sneeze, and she would sneeze again. DH would keep sneezing and so she would keep sneezing, and finally she would start barking at him as if to say "Enough already!!" It was pretty funny to watch. :p