PDA

View Full Version : Tvp

jtoepfert100
12-14-2005, 10:21 AM
I bought some of Bob's Red Mill TVP awhile back and am not really sure what to do with it. I'd like to make something with it tonight, if possible. I saw a few threads about it but not a whole lot of recipes. Most people just mentioned it they rehydrate it and use it in place of ground beef or the like. I do have a chili recipe at home (from 365 Healthful Ways to Cook Tofu and Other Meat Alternatives) I was thinking of making tonight and probably still will but I was wondering if anyone had any other tried and true recipes. If you just use it in place of ground beef, how much liquid-to-TVP do you use to equal, say, a pound of ground beef? TIA! :)

Kayaksoup
12-14-2005, 11:17 AM
I have made Tacos before by subbing TVP for ground beef. Even the adamant meat eater liked the result.
I can't remember how much I used ~ just followed the directions on the package.

heavy hedonist
12-15-2005, 07:43 AM
Well, I use it too, sometimes, same brand. But I riff on the directions-- I add soy and wine or smoke flavor for part of the liquid, plus fresh garlic, onion & spices. I sometimes whir part of it smoother in the FP to change the texture.
But no standard recipes. In future, you might want to take a Linda McCartney cookbook out of the library-- she has many recipes using tvp, I've read.

jtoepfert100
12-15-2005, 09:52 AM
My directions on the package don't specify how much equals a pound or anything like that. Just says too add 7/8 cup (?) to 1 cup of TVP or something like that.

In any event, I made the Chili with Chocolate from the aforementioned book last night and we loved it! Nice undercurrent of spiciness but the chocolate kept it from being too spicy for DH. I actually think this is one of the best chilis I'ver had! I plan on experimenting more with the TVP.

Terri_A
12-15-2005, 10:00 AM
I'm a bit dim today...what is TVP?

mundy
12-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Textured Vegetable Protein