PDA

View Full Version : Roasted Kabocha Squash & Molasses

crackers
12-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Absolutely delicious! AND easy. AND good warm, room temperature or cold. And did I say it was delicious? Oh, yeah, baby! :D

I found this squash at the store the other day, and decided to give it a try.

Simple recipe.

Slice the squash in half from top to bottom (not crosswise), and scrape out the seeds and stringy bits. (OK, this is the most difficult part of the recipe. PLEASE be careful cutting through this hard-skinned squash. One wrong slip and you could be performing an appendectomy on yourself. :eek: )

Cut into 1 -to- 1 1/2 -inch wedges (not unlike cutting wedges of canteloupe) and place cut side down on a aluminum foil lined baking sheet (jelly roll pan with sides is best). And you will be very grateful for the foil lining after it's all done and cleanup time comes... :p I managed about 14-16 wedges from my squash.

Lightly season one side with salt and freshly ground pepper.

Warm about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of molasses in the microwave for 15-20 seconds, just enough to make it a little runny. (I measure it in a pyrex measuring cup, and stick it in the microwave.) Drizzle the molasses over the flesh of each wedge of squash. (Alternatively, you could brush on with pastry brush, but that's just one more sticky thing you'll need to wash afterwards. :rolleyes: )

Bake in preheated 400 degree F oven for about 20-25 minutes, flipping the wedges over after the first 10 minutes. (Squash is done when knife inserted in flesh slides in easily.) Serve warm (or not :p ).

That's it! Sooo good; I've been using it as "snack food" lately!

(Alternatives to Kabocha squash: hubbard squash, buttercup squash, small sugar pumpkin, butternut squash. I tried an acorn squash, and while it was good, I thought this Kabocha was much better!)

tholbrook
12-21-2005, 07:17 PM
Absolutely delicious! AND easy. AND good warm, room temperature or cold. And did I say it was delicious? Oh, yeah, baby! :D
Thanks for the recipe - I went crazy when I was at Whole Foods and bought 6 Kabocha squash since I can't find them locally. I need to start using them and this combination sounds delicious!