PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Why are the shells sticking to the hard boiled eggs??

mikesmom
12-24-2005, 01:34 PM
I'm trying to make deviled eggs to take to my sister's for our Christmas Eve celebration and I can't get the shells off the hard boiled eggs. What am I doing wrong? I've never had this trouble before (ocassionally, maybe, on one or two eggs) but this is ridiculous. Every shell is sticking and the eggs are a mess.

Any suggestions????

Thanks!!!

Happy Holidays!

Canice
12-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Two thoughts:
1- The fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel.
2- Did you let them cool completely? If they are at all warm, the shells will stick.

Good luck!

mikesmom
12-24-2005, 01:47 PM
It could be they aren't cool enough. I've got them in the fridge now and I'm not going back to them for at least an hour. Maybe that will help.

Thanks!

Terri_A
12-24-2005, 01:52 PM
I run COLD water on my eggs as soon as the come out of the pot and never have sticking shells that way - if you're in a hurry try running cold water on them.

Canice
12-24-2005, 02:08 PM
..or putting them in an ice bath.

swedish cook
12-24-2005, 02:26 PM
I run COLD water on my eggs as soon as the come out of the pot and never have sticking shells that way - if you're in a hurry try running cold water on them.

Might be hard to fix later. Run cold water over hot eggs as soon as you finished boiling them. Then they can cool more in ice-water. Have tried peeling hard boiled, cold picknick eggs without success for years until DH told me how to.

sharris315
12-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Two thoughts:
1- The fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel.

Eggs that are very fresh are almost impossible to peel, even with a cold water bath.

Shar

mikesmom
12-24-2005, 05:06 PM
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I was able to peel them a little easier once they were really cold. I made the deviled eggs and all is well. Peeling them was a chore, but I made more eggs than I really needed, so I was able to salvage enough of them to get the job done.

Thanks again!

Happy Holidays to All!

vbak
12-25-2005, 05:51 AM
This my method for peeling hard boiled eggs and I've never had a problem. After cooking , I plunge them into cold water and give the egg a few whacks against the side of the pan until the shell cracks. The cold water gets in around the shell and the egg and I just pull the shells right off without waiting for the eggs to cool.. Works every time.

Vicky