PDA

View Full Version : Computer question and help needed

tea4one
12-27-2005, 09:53 AM
Ok first of all there are 2 issues. The first is that IE seems to be opening really slow lately. I will click on it and it will take about 30 seconds to open after i click on it, which is not normal.
The second one is that I can not open a link by going to the favorites folder and clicking on it, in fact, they have to be in ie and I have to open them within IE. I have already did a scan to get rid of any spyware. I have yet to do the virus scan but I don't think that is the problem but also can't seem to figure this one out myself. This has been going on for at least 3 days.
What seems to be the problem and how do I fix it?

Escher
12-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Ok, some basics.

I'm assuming you've already rebooted.
Clear your history, delete old files and offline content.

Set your home page to a blank page--this will help to isolate if the problem is IE opening, or the page you are going to when it opens. (IE, maybe your homepage site is slow)

Is your navigation otherwise slow?
And, of course, make sure your virus definitions are current, _then_ run a scan.

funniegrrl
12-27-2005, 10:40 AM
Yes I've run across that problem with bookmarks not opening except from within IE, and rebooting always clears it up.

I also agree that it might be your default page/site that's slow to load, not IE itself. If it IS IE, then rebooting will also usually reset things and clear it up.

If you don't know how to clear old files, there are a couple of ways to get there, here's one:

In IE, go to the Tools menu and choose Internet Options.
In that box, on the General tab, click on the button that says Clear History. Also click on the Delete Files button. (It's usually not necessary to Delete Cookies, but if you're still having issues it would be worth a try. This means you'll have to re-login to any sites where you're automatically logged in.)
Close IE and reopen.

tea4one
12-27-2005, 10:41 AM
>>I'm assuming you've already rebooted.
Clear your history, delete old files and offline content.<<

I did this.

>>Set your home page to a blank page--this will help to isolate if the problem is IE opening, or the page you are going to when it opens. (IE, maybe your homepage site is slow)<<

I haven't tried this yet but I will.

>>Is your navigation otherwise slow?
And, of course, make sure your virus definitions are current, _then_ run a scan.<<

No and everything is current.

tea4one
12-27-2005, 10:45 AM
Setting it at a blank page sped up the opening but still unable to open my links. without doing it within IE.

tea4one
12-27-2005, 10:47 AM
I'm not going to have to reinstall IE am I? I am going to try clearing/deleting cookies and everything one more time and see if that helps.

tea4one
12-27-2005, 11:08 AM
I don't know what I forgot to do but I did everything again that was done before I posted this thread and it worked. I may have forgotten to clear my cookies because I don't remember doing that the first time. I'm just glad its fixed.