PDA

View Full Version : C/L Jan. dijon chicken kale stew

Irene3R
01-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Anybody try this yet? I read the review on the beef stew and want to try that too. But this looked interesting. I was wondering if anybody made it yet. Usually like to get some reviews first.

Peggy
01-03-2006, 09:03 PM
It is on my menu for Thursday evening. I will be sure to post my review then.

Peggy

DitzyCook
01-04-2006, 05:20 AM
This was reviewed on New Years Day ... and was very good. "Sophisticated comfort food" was our take on it and a definite keeper/repeater on our soup and stew rotation. :) It takes time to make it and results are worth it. Next time, I may sub spinach for the kale just to see how it does. The Kale was great in here too (my first time cooking with it) but I'm just curious how spinach will do as it seems like it would be fab with the flavors of this stew.

Irene3R
01-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Thanks for your reply. I read what you said about it taking a bit of work to make and then looked over the recipe and, yes, it does look like a bit of work. I'll have to make it on an afternoon when I have lots of time. But it did seem very good. Glad you enjoyed it.

blazedog
01-04-2006, 06:15 PM
I definitely wouldn't add spinach to a stew as it breaks down and becomes slimey. When I have recipes that call for spinach to be added, I only add it to the portion(s) being eaten immediately -- Spinach doesn't have to be cooked - it kind of melts into the hot stuff.

I think kale is much sturdier and would also add a distinctive note to the broth and end product. I don't think of spinach as having the same robust flavors as kale.

DitzyCook
01-04-2006, 07:56 PM
I definitely wouldn't add spinach to a stew as it breaks down and becomes slimey. When I have recipes that call for spinach to be added, I only add it to the portion(s) being eaten immediately -- Spinach doesn't have to be cooked - it kind of melts into the hot stuff.

I think kale is much sturdier and would also add a distinctive note to the broth and end product. I don't think of spinach as having the same robust flavors as kale.

Thanks Blazedog! I learned something new! I've never cooked with Kale before and you are right, it is sturdier than spinach so I see your point.