PDA

View Full Version : Miners Are Alive

jjsooner73
01-03-2006, 11:08 PM
It's being reported on the AP wire that the 12 remaining miners are alive.
Wonderful news for their families, though still tragic for the family of the one who was found dead.

mmtibbs
01-03-2006, 11:13 PM
An absolute miracle.

These families have been blessed, and all of the country is thankful.

Thankful for sharing--I hadn't heard.

Michelle

colleency
01-03-2006, 11:16 PM
That's amazing and wonderful.

jjsooner73
01-03-2006, 11:33 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1468342

Gecko
01-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Just amazing - it gave me goosebumps. I am still watching it live now. My thoughts and prayers to the family of the 1 miner not found alive.

imloulou
01-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Oh I am so so so glad to hear this. I watched the news earlier and it did not look good. I actually got online before heading to bed to see if there was any more news. CLBB is my "home" site when I get on the computer and I saw this threads heading!!!!

The miners and their families have been in my thoughts for the past few days...I could not stop thinking about them. I am so happy to hear this news!

Peggy
01-04-2006, 12:24 AM
Fantastic news!! I hadn't heard yet. This BB really keeps me current on what is happening in the world! ;)

Peggy

generic
01-04-2006, 02:29 AM
I just read something just now that says there was a communication error and only one survived! My heart is just aching for those families who were misinformed! :( :(

Gecko
01-04-2006, 02:45 AM
I am still watching CNN right now and the news is true - there is only one survivor and he is in critical condition. They are blaming this on a "miscomunication". My heart goes out to all of the families for what they are going through.

Canice
01-04-2006, 02:57 AM
What could be more cruel?

gertdog
01-04-2006, 05:29 AM
Oh, how awful. My heart leapt when I saw the thread title. I can't imagine how the families must feel, first assuming the worst, then being given such hope, then learning that the worst is true. :(

jmarie
01-04-2006, 05:52 AM
DH and I went to sleep discussing this last night...we were both so sad, and then when I read the heading of this thread, I called him immediately, only to read further down, to call him again. If we are this disheartened about this, can you imagine what those families, their friends and neighbors are feeling, right now...what a horrible...horrible turn of events. Have you ever been through a coal town? They are mostly desloate little communities. :(
Joyce

jjsooner73
01-04-2006, 06:38 AM
OH gosh, this is just awful. I turned on the news hoping to hear happy and joyful stories. I am sick. Those poor families. :(

Peggy
01-04-2006, 09:14 AM
Prayers to those poor families! I can't imagine the pain they are now suffering. :(

Peggy

Chefzhat
01-04-2006, 09:17 AM
What a nightmare. :( So sad for the families.

The media needs to get the heck out of there - this situation has been made so much worse by the extensive media coverage.

Debie

Kayaksoup
01-04-2006, 09:49 AM
The media needs to get the heck out of there - this situation has been made so much worse by the extensive media coverage.

Debie
My thoughts exactly. I can't help but feel that they have somehow played a role in spreading the "miscommunication"

Beth
01-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Not sure who, but somewhere along the line, someone took the report that they had found the 12 miners and were taking vital signs as an indication that they were alive. If they were obviously dead, you wouldn't take vital signs, but you do take vital signs to see if they are alive -- it was a leap made by a depserately hopeful person. It's heartbreaking, but I don't know that the media was at the center of it. It sounds like the report to the governor was that they were alive and the media merely took that report back to the people around the country at a time when papers rushed to put the apparently miraculous news on the front pages -- only to have the papers printed and out by the time the reports got corrected. Sounds like the "miscommunication" happened along the compnay, rescue or goverment lines.

MISSINDI
01-04-2006, 10:35 AM
I can't imagine what those families are going through. What they said this morning was that someone overhead communications that "the 12 miners were found," but didn't continue to hear the rest of it that they were still checking vital signs and didn't know their state yet. Just heartbreaking...

Kayaksoup
01-04-2006, 11:07 AM
It was bothering me when they first released the news that nobody seemed to know where it came from and took it at face value. Is it right to publish rumours as fact? I don't know the answer to that question, it is just one of the things that ran through my mind.
Also, the media were all over the families, asking them the most ridiculous questions ~ just a sympton of the whole "breaking news" style of journalism. You have no real news to carry, but you want to feed something to the consumer to fill the three hours till official word comes down, so you fill the time with schlock.
I feel that the mine officials do carry blame for not squashing the rumours with an immediate: "nothing has been confirmed". at the very least.
ETA. these are my immediate gut responses. Because my heart leapt for joy when I first heard the news and it was absolutely crushing to wake up this morning to the real news. I cannot even imagine what the families have gone through.

tea4one
01-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Which paper had the headline Alive!

tea4one
01-04-2006, 12:28 PM
When I first seen this last night a litle after 1 am, I thought Wow! they found them alive, all but one and thought that was good. Then a few hours later found out that it wasn't true. I feel so sorry for those families, to have their hopes dashed like that all because of the "miscommunication". Those reporters Do need to leave also.

tbb113
01-04-2006, 01:00 PM
The local paper here (contra costa times) was reporting that the miners were found alive. Keep in mind that newspapers have deadlines and if that was what was being reported at their deadline, that is what they ran with. Of course by now, their websites have the correct story.

jmarie
01-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Everyone wanted them to be alive so badly....I guess they just jumped the gun. Just a distressingly sad situation.:(
Joyce

DeeK
01-04-2006, 01:32 PM

The Orlando Sentinel for one.

Escher
01-04-2006, 02:26 PM
USA Today, for another.

Chefzhat
01-04-2006, 02:29 PM
USA Today also had a huge headline.

I don't believe that the media "started" the rumor, but they certainly ran with an unsubstantiated story and chose not to check the authenticity prior to blasting it across the nation and the world. That is the problem I have with this, and I believe that they all should apologize immediately and pull out. They've made a very hard situation much, much worse.

I saw Giraldo Rivera on FOX news this morning acting like a giant toddler "tell me tell me tell me" to some of the family members - gak. I'm way over Giraldo.

Escher
01-04-2006, 02:52 PM
I'm way over Giraldo.

You're ....over... me? When, when, when were you.... _under_ me?
/Ross.

Sorry, just having a flashback moment there.

Moosch
01-04-2006, 05:20 PM
I thought it was 12 miners that died and 1 who survived. My browser's homepage has a current news thing on it and it flashed that he responded to his wife. What a relief! :D However, for the families of the others that died, I feel so terrible. :(

tea4one
01-05-2006, 07:51 AM
USA Today, for another.
Thanks! Thats the one I seen on Fox News.

Chefzhat
01-05-2006, 08:08 AM
You're ....over... me? When, when, when were you.... _under_ me?
/Ross.

This one time? At band camp?

:D :D

yet another flashback . . .