PDA

View Full Version : Curious about Fresno area CSA

Trace143
01-08-2006, 09:57 AM
Can anyone offer an opinion about belonging to a CSA? I'm thinking that it would be a good choice for my family, but I would like to see what other people say. If anyone has an opinion about the few that are offered near the Fresno area, I would appreciate any comments. Thanks!

swquilts
01-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Trace, are you in luck!! (I live in Reedley)

First, you might want to send a Private Message to Mimeea. She has been a member of the local CSA since they started, and seems quite happy with them and their produce. Wiley Farms delivers to Fresno, Reedley, Madera and I think Selma, and they are based in Madera. Their URL is:

http://www.tdwilleyfarms.com/csa/frcsa.html

Second, are you interested in joining our Fresno area Supper Club?? We get together about 4 to 5 times a year (everyone is way too busy :( ) and usually cook from CL recipes. PM me if you are interested.

Mimeea
01-09-2006, 02:07 AM
As Susan said, I am a member of the Willey's CSA. I love it! The website is informative, and there is a link to access the "What's Growin' On" archives, which is the weekly flyer that is included in the CSA box, that has that week's produce listed, as well as extra bulk items to purchase (they just started an organic grass-fed meat partnership with a local rancher.) Included each week are usually three recipes that include most of the produce. I find this really helpful, as sometimes its hard to find ways to use kale, escarole, leeks, and brocolli in a single meal! I get the family-size box for my family of four- although they aren't big vegetable eaters. I'm usually able to use all of the produce within the week, although it is so fresh, much of it can last longer than that. Green beans, brocolli, and spinach often come in perforated plastic ziptop bags which are helpful in storing all of the vegetables.

Also, it would be great to have you in our supper club!

Trace143
01-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Ohh, that's just what I wanted to hear. I'm going to sign up. We are terrible about eating vegetables, but that's my fault becuase I always think they have an "off" taste. So, I don't push them on the kids like I should. (New Year's Resolution: Serve and eat more veggies!) I'm going to sign up right now....hopefully we can get this week's box.! Thanks again!

And, I'm going to speak to DH about the supper club. I think it would be fun!