PDA

View Full Version : My oven doesn't have a broiler rack--what do I do?

mbrogier
01-11-2006, 09:37 PM
There is a broil selection, so I can broil. The bottom drawer looks like a broiling drawer. There isn't any sort of pan or rack to slip in there. I don't think the previous tenants took it by accident because they stored bread and stuff in the oven--it didn't even look used for a while. Quite clean. The oven is a bit older, but very nice. Where do you buy a broiling tray or rack? Everyone I've had came with the oven.

pattyp.
01-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Perhaps the broiler is in the top of the oven. Can you see it? See if you can see a coil or burner. You might also find the name of the Stove Manufactorer(?) and Goggle to see if instructions are available. Maybe they took the broiler pan but you can always get another one. I've even seen disposable broiler pans.

mbrogier
01-12-2006, 01:37 AM
It is in the bottom. I've never seen a disposable broiler pan. I'd be all over those. I hate cleaning broiler pans.

bobmark226
01-12-2006, 08:16 AM
It is in the bottom. I've never seen a disposable broiler pan. I'd be all over those. I hate cleaning broiler pans.

They're in the market with all the rest of the disposable aluminum baking pans. They're just a single piece with pointed ridges that support the meat and allow the fat to drain down and are usually packed three or four to a package.

HTH!
Bob

Lillith
01-12-2006, 08:58 AM
My broiler is in the main part of the oven. For those who have the same, do you leave the oven door closed or opened? My oven door can stay open a few inches which is what I did w/my old oven. The manual on my new oven says to keep door closed, which kinda doesn't make sense to me. Which is correct?

tbb113
01-12-2006, 10:10 AM
I just take a cookie sheet and stick a piece of foil on it and stick my meat under the broiler. If you want to raise it off the sheet, I've been known to use a metal cooling rack.

My understanding is that with an electric oven you broil with the door cracked, gas ovens broil with the door closed.

Sami
01-12-2006, 10:14 AM
My electric oven says to broil with the door open, which is what I do.

Sami

blazedog
01-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Regarding open/closed doors on an electric oven, you need to follow the manual.

Some of the newer electric ovens have closed door broiling. It has to do with maintaining an even temperature at the high broiling temperature. With a closed door on some electric ovens, the heating unit will turn off when it reaches a certain temperature which is not what you want when you broil -- if you keep the door open it never reaches that temperature, so it never cycles off.

Some electric ovens have an override so that when you select "broil" the heating unit will never turn off.

So it's critical to do whatever your manual says.

Gas ovens are kept closed because they don't have this kind of exact temperature control which is why electric ovens are generally considered to be more desireable -- but that's another story. Also if you keep a gas broiler door open, you can cause a fat fire pretty easily as the oxygen feeds the actual flames of a gas broiler -- I remember those from when I was a kid :D

clairea
01-12-2006, 04:37 PM
I just take a cookie sheet and stick a piece of foil on it and stick my meat under the broiler. If you want to raise it off the sheet, I've been known to use a metal cooling rack.

My understanding is that with an electric oven you broil with the door cracked, gas ovens broil with the door closed.

I do everything exactly the same way as Tyra.

I've never seen a broiling drawer under the oven. Isn't it hard to watch the food and keep it from burning?

Claire

blazedog
01-12-2006, 04:41 PM
I do everything exactly the same way as Tyra.

I've never seen a broiling drawer under the oven. Isn't it hard to watch the food and keep it from burning?

Claire

Gas ovens typically have the broilers on the bottom because of the configuration of the jets -- another reason why people prefer dual fuel ranges.

clairea
01-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Gas ovens typically have the broilers on the bottom because of the configuration of the jets -- another reason why people prefer dual fuel ranges.

See, that is why it is so fascinating to me. I have had both electric and gas, old and new ovens, and I have never encountered this but it seems to be a fairly common thing. If I didn't read these boards, I would never even know broiling drawers existed!

blazedog
01-12-2006, 05:24 PM
See, that is why it is so fascinating to me. I have had both electric and gas, old and new ovens, and I have never encountered this but it seems to be a fairly common thing. If I didn't read these boards, I would never even know broiling drawers existed!

You might not have realized it was a broiling drawer on an old gas range :D

The one I grew up with was basically flush to the floor -- most people would assume that it was the standard "storage" drawer on the bottom of most stoves. But it had broiler burners on top -- I remember my mother practically lying prostate on the floor sometimes.

clairea
01-12-2006, 05:35 PM
That might explain it, especially since every time I tried to envision a broiling drawer I had an image of myself having to lay down on the floor to use it! I don't think I ever looked that hard at the drawer on the old gas oven in this house, I just waited anxiously to get rid of that oven! Before we lived in this house I had electric ovens. I was so fascinated by this question that I actually just pulled out the manual for my current oven (and I'm not sure what that says about me that I can lay my hands on that in 2 seconds flat, I'm sure nothing good ;) ), and the broiler is definitely at the top of the main oven compartment. It is a gas oven, about 5 years old.

Oh, mbrogier, I have seen the disposable broiler pans at costco too, which might be worth it if you broil a fair amount and have enough storage space. Otherwise you can get them at the grocery as Bob said.

Claire

cangoss
01-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Micah, if you want to try to find the broiler pan, you could look here:

http://www.repairclinic.com/

They are located in my area and were written up in the paper today and I thought of this thread.

mbrogier
01-12-2006, 09:19 PM
I have an old beat up cookie sheet that might just be perfect. I wasn't sure how it would hold up at such a high heat right under the flame, but since it has been done before, I think it will be ok.

My stove is gas, and the broiler is on the bottom. I just time the food and check often. I love grilled food, but around here, it's not much fun to grill outside in the winter.

Thanks for the help everyone. :)

Casey1230
01-14-2006, 07:08 AM
You can buy nice metal (manufacture quality) broiling pans at Wal-Mart and I've seen in the Chef's catalog that I get... I have a small one and a large one. I grew up with the broiler 'on the floor' and thought it was a very strange thing watching my mother using... :p